Author Topic: Link & Information: 1940 National Registration  (Read 20141 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Link & Information: 1940 National Registration
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post a note to let anyone know that when you order a copy of the 1940 National Registration they tell you it takes about 60 days from receipt.  I ordered one this week.  Hopefully it won't take so long, I'm not very good with waiting.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.007-e.html

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-cel/olc-cel?catno=93C0006&lang=eng

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 National Registration
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
excuse me for asking what is the National Register? and where do you purchase it from.

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Here's a copy from the web site:

The National Registration File of 1940 resulted from the compulsory registration of all persons, 16 years of age or older, in the period from 1940 to 1946. This information was originally obtained under the authority of The National Resources Mobilization Act and the War Measures Act. Custody of the records was subsequently given to Statistics Canada, then known as the Dominion Bureau of Statistics.

As a result, the National Registration File of 1940 is not subject to the confidentiality provisions of the Statistics Act but is instead covered by the Privacy Act. According to this Act, when a person has been dead for more than 20 years, the information is no longer considered to be personal and can be disclosed.

Here's the link:
http://www.statcan.ca:8096/bsolc/english/bsolc?catno=93C0006

I have been spoiled by the City of Birmingham in obtaining information, it only takes about 5 days to receive a bmd certificate in the mail from there to here in Ontario.

It costs $48.15 CDN, which is a little pricy, but I am at my wit's end on my grandfather and am just curious to see what he has put down!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much

It is a great help.

Kindest Regards
Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 16:56 BST (UK) »
It's awfully expensive - and I don't think I know nearly enoguh where rellies are lving

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 18:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought it quite expensive too, but I'm hoping there will be a little bit of information to help me figure out my grandfather.  If there is something it will be well worth it. 

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Karen,

Did you have to provide proof that your grandfather has been dead at least 20 years?

Thanks!
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 05 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine,

Yes, I did have to send a copy of his death certificate, which luckily I have (well actually a funeral director's statement of death which is equivilant).  He died in 1972. 

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 November 05 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I had a pleasant surprise this morning when the courier showed up at my house with the copy of my registration.

You actually get a copy of the original and they give you a copy of it typed out since the original is on microfilm and is a little hard to read the questions which they ask.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England