Author Topic: Cairn of Lochwinnoch  (Read 13900 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cairn of Lochwinnoch
« on: Saturday 21 August 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used the Cairn of Lochwinnoch [which I think are several books of information on local families compiled by Dr. Andrew Crawford (1786-1854)] as a source in the their genealogical research (it's available in microfiche through the LDS library)?
I was wondering if it was generally considered reliable or not.

thanks,
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline suzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cairn of Lochwinnoch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 September 04 19:05 BST (UK) »
In August I visited Lochwinnoch and also visited Paisley Library where I looked at 5 or 6 volumes of the Cairn of Lochwinnoch.  I think it is the final volume (vol 45?) that has an index, but I was told there were also other indexes in some of the volumes.  So if you are looking for a particular family or person, you can look in main index. I am sure the main index is not complete.   A 'new' relation I recently met on the Internet gave me lots of information from the Cairn, including volumes and pages, so I was able to go directly to these pages and read for myself.  I also found information about other unrelated families interesting, too.

Andrew Crawfurd seemed to know everyone in the district, who was related to who, the gossip and concerns of each family.

I think the Cairn is a wonderful set of volumes not just for the genealogist, but for the historian wanting to know about life in a rural Scottish area a century and a half ago.  I refer to it as 'births, marriages, deaths, gossip and articles'!  It is hand written, so I am not sure how easy it will be to read on microfiche.  I was permitted to use a digital camera and photograph. I have yet to find time to go through the many pages I photographed and translate them into type. 

If you do look at it, I hope you find it as interesting as I did!

Suzy
UK surnames:  Adkins, Burton, Bellhouse, Crewdson, Jowitt, Heathcote, Severne, Tyers, Drane,
Exshaw - Dublin, India
Love, Kerr - Scotland, Hertfordshire
Barbour, McDowall - Scotland
(van) Maseyk -India, Netherlands, Australia, Syria
Smith - Northern Ireland and Eire, India, Sri Lanka, Australia

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 20:03 BST (UK) »
I was looking at these in the paisley museum just a few days ago although I couldn't get to read them. ???

Crawfurd was apparently the local doctor and this appears to be why he knew so much about everybody in the town/village

Offline suzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
Bob, it 's Paisley Library that you need to go to - next door!

Suzy
UK surnames:  Adkins, Burton, Bellhouse, Crewdson, Jowitt, Heathcote, Severne, Tyers, Drane,
Exshaw - Dublin, India
Love, Kerr - Scotland, Hertfordshire
Barbour, McDowall - Scotland
(van) Maseyk -India, Netherlands, Australia, Syria
Smith - Northern Ireland and Eire, India, Sri Lanka, Australia

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, i should have said that it was a lack of time that stopped me from going next door to the library to read the books ...... I had just popped up during my lunch hour for something to do. :-[

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 04 03:25 BST (UK) »
I'd be very interested to know what family's are in these books, particularly if my partner's family are in it, the family name is Young, Robert and Janet who had 14 children (Samuel, Andrew(our line), Jane, John, Robert, William, Alexander, James, Janet, Margeret, Marion, Helen, Mary, and Thomas).

Robert Young and Janet Clark were married in 1810 at Lochwinnoch.

If anyone can look up in these books for me would be very much appreciated as it's not possible for me to get to these books as I live in New Zealand.

lindanz :)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 November 04 01:43 GMT (UK) »
I just found the feature :"show new replies to your posts"! How helpful. It's easy to get lost after a while!!

Thank you for the information on The Cairn....  Maybe one day I will have a chance to see them on your side of the ocean!
cheers,
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Williamsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I was in Paisley Library doing family research last October and spent two days working my way through references in the Cairn.  My ancestors in Lochwinnoch are Crawfords, Orrs and many many other related familes.  I was unable to determine any family ties to Andro but I plan to look further. 

My Orrs were the Kaim bunch so I ended up photographing about 40 pages of the Cairn related to that family.  Much of it had already been reduced to family trees by my grandfather many years ago but I was overjoyed to find the source.  Andro Crawfurd was said to have received much of his local gossip from one of the Orr ladies. 

I am  currently researching 17th century Crawfords in Lochwinnoch, trying to link the various lines.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  See my little contribution to the village website for a bit of history.

Dave Williams
Ottawa, Canada   

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: village website
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Not sure what "village website" you're refering to.. is there a link?

thanx

ard