Author Topic: DAVIDSON of Johnshaven  (Read 13264 times)

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DAVIDSON of Johnshaven
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 18:42 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate birth/baptism details for Jessie Scott DAVIDSON, born Johnshaven in about 1808 (according to later census records).  Can find no reference to her in Benholm parish records on Scotlandspeople.  Any suggestions as to where else I might look? 

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON of Johnshaven
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Roz,

Unfortunately couldn't find any births anywhere in Scotland 1808 +/- 5 years in the BVRs for a Jessie Scott Davidson.

I did find this:

DAVIDSON, Jessie Somerville
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1806   
Christening Date: 14 Jun 1806
Recorded in: Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Collection: St Cuthbert
Father:   James DAVIDSON
Mother:   Janet SOMERVILLE
Source:   FHL Film 1066755   Dates:   1806 - 1826

Anne

P.S. She was the only child listed born to this couple.

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 09:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this, though I think this is not "my" Jessie.  I have several clearly written documentary instances of her middle name being Scott, so am coming to the conclusion that she was either not baptised in Scotland (the family later lived in London), or that she may have been baptised Janet or Jean rather than the diminutive Jessie. Frustration reigns!
Thanks very much for your suggestion - it all helps eliminate fruitless lines of enquiry.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, did you manage to get a death cert for her and find her parent's names?  I found a David Davidson and Catherine Scott who had various children in Benholm.

1.  ISOBEL DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 18 MAR 1817 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

2. JEAN DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 14 MAR 1821 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

3. ELISABETH DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 31 MAR 1808 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

4. JOHN BLUES DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 18 FEB 1823 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

5. CATHARINE DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 26 JAN 1810 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

6. MARGARET DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 05 AUG 1827 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

7. WILLIAM DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 24 MAR 1819 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

8. JAMES SCOTT DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 03 OCT 1815 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

9. DAVID SCOTT DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 06 FEB 1812 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

10. ANN REID DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 30 JUL 1825 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

11. JANET DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 NOV 1806 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

12. ALEXANDER DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 18 OCT 1813 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

13. ALEXANDER SCOTT DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 04 MAR 1831 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

14. ALEXANDER SCOTT DAVIDSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 04 MAR 1832 Benholm, Kincardine, Scotland

I'm wondering if Jessie could have been from Janet??? b 1806 as I believe this was often the case.  I saw this comment on another site.

"I have just spent an interesting few minutes reading all the mail on
the above. I too, have a JESSIE which I have often thought strange
in a family that named all the children after a relative. I now know
that JESSIE was named after her grandmother JANET. I also have a lot
of interchangeable Jane/Jeans which is very confusing."

I also have one who married in Johnshaven, died there and is buried in Benholm churchyard (I've seen his grave) but CAN I find his birth c1770!!??  Good luck

Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lesley

Thanks for that.  These are pretty much the baptisms I found on Scotlandspeople, though I didn't think to progress as far forward in time and missed a couple.  I had come to a similar conclusion about Jessie, but thought perhaps it was just wishful thinking. Thank you for encouraging me in my badness!
The Jessie Somerville DAVIDSON in Edinburgh is unlikely, as "my" Jessie is very definite about her middle name being Scott, and records Johnshaven as place of birth. Father David would be a strong possibility, as perhaps significantly one of Jessie's sons was also named David.  No death certificate as yet, though she was the informant at her husband's early death in 1849.

Good luck with your baptism hunt - at least if he died, you know he must have been born!  I am having similar fun with another Scottish-born couple who migrated back and forth over the Border two or three times during the course of their married life, leaving bits of their jigsaw scattered from Arbroath to Warwickshire - and points between.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 05 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think those are the parents and siblings as the mother's maiden name was often used as a middle name (I have lots of cases of this inc my father) and I'm sure I saw offspring with Scott as a middle name (in addition to yours).  Jeans and Janes are also a pain in the ***.  I am actually in Angus (in Forfar) so close to Arbroath etc so feel free to bounce any ideas off me as I know the area pretty well.  Let me know if you want me to see if I can find burials for the suspected parents in Benholm as I would be able to nip up at some point (I always seem to be grave hunting during autumn/winter and I'm away to look for some from late C19th tomorrow - must be mad).

You don't say when she moved south/married (in England?).  Did the parents etc also move?  If you think this is the right family, when ScotlandsPeople have the 1841 census online at the end of the year, as promised, you may find the siblings.  I found some of them on this free site living in Benholm parish but, interestingly, no Jessies or Janets so whoever the Janet was, she had either died or moved away.  I would see if you can find a death cert for the Janet we suspect on ScotlandsPeople and, if you can't, it means she died before 1855 (unlikely) or moved, so she might be yours.  (Does that make sense?)
This is the census site
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

I found the family
DAVIDSON   David   M   58   Linen Hand Loom Weaver Kincardineshire         
    DAVIDSON   Katherine   F   53       Kincardineshire         
    DAVIDSON   David Scott   M   29   Linen Hand Loom Weaver    Kincardineshire         
    DAVIDSON   Ann   F   16       Kincardineshire         
    DAVIDSON   Margaret   F   14       Kincardineshire         
    SCOTT   Katherine   F   7       Kincardineshire 

Let me know how you get on and if I can be of any help.
Happy hunting.
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Lesley, you are a jewel!
It seems highly likely that this is the right family, as Jessie moved south some time before her marriage in London in 1834 (to a James ROSS, also a suspiciously Scottish name!).  They subsequently had children named Jessie, Margaret, Anne, Isabella and David, which would link up pretty well with the previous generation.  I haven't yet found a death for Jessie, but she was certainly still around in 1851.
I should be intrigued to know of any burials for this family if ever you have a spare moment in the churchyard (I know the problem - I have wrecked several pairs of shoes stompng around uneven turf in pouring rain!  I am the person who has a photo of 3xgt.grandfather's gravestone as my computer desktop - how sad is that?!)

On the Arbroath trail, I am trying to establish whether "my" Margaret PARIS is the same one who was baptised there in 1794, daughter of James PARIS and Elizabeth ESPLIN.  Another wanderer, unfortunately:  married John BOYD of, I think, Alva (possibly son of John BOYD & Ann REID, bap 1790);  had 2 children in Warwickshire, 3 in Alva, then settled in Cumberland.....  Any suggestions weould be very useful.

Many thanks for your help; I am VERY grateful.
Best wishes,
Roz

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 05 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Roz - nothing to do with DAVIDSON but I see you are interested in THAIN from Bedingham, as I am. What is your connection to the Bedingham THAIN family? My other half is a THAIN descended from the Bedingham THAINs.

Kind regards,

Heatha.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 December 05 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Heatha, how exciting!

John THAIN and his wife Margaret (nee WHITRED/WHITEROD) of Bedingham are my 3xgt.grandparents.  I have singularly failed to trace Margaret's origins - supposedly North Elmham - but have the Thains tracked back to Hempnall and Fritton, where I have got stuck in the 18th century with John and Elizabeth THAIN, born in about 1711 or so.

Do get in touch!

Best wishes,
Roz