Author Topic: IMISON and HALTON family trees  (Read 3111 times)

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
IMISON and HALTON family trees
« on: Monday 17 October 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello

I believe that there are many branches of the IMISON and HALTON families still out there that I have not seen.

One big problem is that the enumerators of the UK censuses either did not spell correctly, or that the people who looked at the enumerators' writing misread the handwriting and have put 'imaginary' names for the people.  That means that unless one has precise details of where one's family lived, those people become more or less 'invisible'.

I know that Imanuel Halton was an ancestor - he was a mathematician / astologer and had 3 brothers each of whom attended Queen's College Oxford.

I believe that one of the earliest ancestors was called MILES and he came over with the Conqueror in 1066.

I know this sounds fanciful, and I have no surname, and no proof of this, but it is a family legend nonetheless.

I would be grateful if anyone out there has information - I have seen the boards but wonder if the above data might strike a chord with someone who has links to the above.

Best wishes

Imison

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: IMISON and HALTON family trees
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Halton..I know that there are Halton families in Tasmania Australia....i dont know much about them..(Im researching a line of my husbands and it appears that one of his g uncles may of been fostered by  one of these Tasmanian Halton Clan.)
England ,wardrobe,buzza /Buzzo >Penzance ,St Hilary,Cornwall.
Richards,Roberts,Parrish,Paris,Norton,knight,. Whear,Sparnon,squires, Fenwick ,

Scotland-hardy,McRae,Morris,walker,burnside.>Glasgow to Australia.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Germany>Ballarat vic >? To Patterson>miner.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IMISON and HALTON family trees
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 England & Wales census shows 111 Imison names, 394 Imeson, 10 Imerson and 33 Imisson.

In 1881 the numbers were 44 Imison, 290 Imeson, 3 Imerson, and 17 Imisson.

In 1851 we find 38 Imison, 211 Imeson, 6 Imerson, 7 Imisson and 10 Imason!

You have to realise that spelling simply wasn't important to previous generations ::)
It's part of the fascination of Family History!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)