Author Topic: 1841 & 1851 census for Conisbrough - for Spencer  (Read 3988 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Selby 1815. Have You Seen Signature Anywhere Else?
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census for Conisbrough - for Spencer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
My interest in John Spencer of Selby was sparked, because when the property of John Spencer of Selby Gentleman at Millgate, Selby, changed hands in 1802/1803 from John Spencer, Gent., the new owner Thomas Hembrough of Selby, Yeoman, still had John HOOD as occupier. (Registered Wakefield 1803, Vol. EN, page 314, No.423).
[This property occupied by Mr HOOD appears to have been owned by John Turner, prior to John Spencer, Gent.]

Often, when houses changed ownership, Tenants occupying often had to quit.

Also John HOOD of Selby, formerly of Scarborough 1770s, had earlier married an Elizabeth Leppington, Widow, nee Elizabeth SPENCER (information reserched thanks to Rootschatters).

Interesting one of the Spencers mentioned in the thread carried middle name of Spink, some Spinks were Quakers.

Very Summary Notes of the Will of John Spencer of Selby, January 1810

... John Spencer of Selby Gentleman ...
... brother Joseph Spencer ...
My Farm at Thorp Willoughby in the Parish of Brayton ... in the occupation of John Robinson as Tenant ... during the life of Joseph Spencer ...
... I also give and bequeath unto my relation Mary WEBSTER who lives with me twenty pounds a year ...
... I also give and bequeath unto the three daughters of my late brother Joseph SPENCER Mary Ann and Sarah One hundred pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Elizabeth COLLET John Sarah and Mary Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Sarah DEPLEDGE Fifty pounds each and I also give and bequeath unto the two children of my late sister Franscois ENGLAND and WARD Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the six children of my late sister Henrietta RISHWORTH Fifty pounds each I also give to William RABY of Manchester Merchant and Elizabeth his Wife Ten pounds each to buy morning and rings with.
Lastly I give and devise and bequeath unto my Nephew John SPENCER of Conisbrough Parks County of York his heirs executors and assigns forever he paying my just debts legacies and funeral expenses and chargeable with the annuities as above all my real and personal estate at Selby and my Freehold and Copyhold estates at Thorp Willouwhby in the Parish of Brayton and County of York (having put a Surrender into the Court at Thorpwillowhby to the use of my Will) with my Leasehold estate at Selby so long as John HALLIDAY and Robt HALLIDAY lives or the longer liver of them Also the money with the interest I advance under the Drainage Act of Parliament for the Mill Dam with all my shares and dividends in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal ...
... Nephew John Spencer Sole Executor ... Seal 12th Day of April 1808 in the presence of Edw'd Taylor - Thos Castell Jeremiah Shaw. past 18th January 1810

-----------

Doncaster Archives, CWM/949 Deed to lead the uses of a fine (by way of lease and release
[In COOKE of Wheatley Muniments 18 & 19th Centuries. Deeds to lands in Arksey formerly of the Addeman family, sold to Cooke in 1840]

Mentioned is a ... "John Spencer of Conisbrough Park, Conisbrough, Yorks., farmer" ... 
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/c0b0ca1c-c397-4eeb-bdc9-15ae9c98e868

Mark
"George HOOD of Selby" Before 1812?

Born about 1785 (Yorkshire per 1841 Census)

Married Sarah RUSSELL at Selby 1815 newspaper - "both of that place".

Buried in the Quaker Burial Ground at Selby as "Not in Membership" in 1845, aged 60 years.

George HOOD of Selby was refused Membership of the Quakers in 1836.

Elected Overseer of the Poor of Selby in 1838.

Had both known (Selby) and unknown (some not stated 1846) property interests.

Possible (but unknown) links to COOK and/or PEARSON names.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.