Author Topic: 1841 & 1851 census for Conisbrough - for Spencer  (Read 5913 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census for Conisbrough - for Spencer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
My interest in John Spencer of Selby was sparked, because when the property of John Spencer of Selby Gentleman at Millgate, Selby, changed hands in 1802/1803 from John Spencer, Gent., the new owner Thomas Hembrough of Selby, Yeoman, still had John HOOD as occupier. (Registered Wakefield 1803, Vol. EN, page 314, No.423).
[This property occupied by Mr HOOD appears to have been owned by John Turner, prior to John Spencer, Gent.]

Often, when houses changed ownership, Tenants occupying often had to quit.

Also John HOOD of Selby, formerly of Scarborough 1770s, had earlier married an Elizabeth Leppington, Widow, nee Elizabeth SPENCER (information reserched thanks to Rootschatters).

Interesting one of the Spencers mentioned in the thread carried middle name of Spink, some Spinks were Quakers.

Very Summary Notes of the Will of John Spencer of Selby, January 1810

... John Spencer of Selby Gentleman ...
... brother Joseph Spencer ...
My Farm at Thorp Willoughby in the Parish of Brayton ... in the occupation of John Robinson as Tenant ... during the life of Joseph Spencer ...
... I also give and bequeath unto my relation Mary WEBSTER who lives with me twenty pounds a year ...
... I also give and bequeath unto the three daughters of my late brother Joseph SPENCER Mary Ann and Sarah One hundred pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Elizabeth COLLET John Sarah and Mary Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Sarah DEPLEDGE Fifty pounds each and I also give and bequeath unto the two children of my late sister Franscois ENGLAND and WARD Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the six children of my late sister Henrietta RISHWORTH Fifty pounds each I also give to William RABY of Manchester Merchant and Elizabeth his Wife Ten pounds each to buy morning and rings with.
Lastly I give and devise and bequeath unto my Nephew John SPENCER of Conisbrough Parks County of York his heirs executors and assigns forever he paying my just debts legacies and funeral expenses and chargeable with the annuities as above all my real and personal estate at Selby and my Freehold and Copyhold estates at Thorp Willouwhby in the Parish of Brayton and County of York (having put a Surrender into the Court at Thorpwillowhby to the use of my Will) with my Leasehold estate at Selby so long as John HALLIDAY and Robt HALLIDAY lives or the longer liver of them Also the money with the interest I advance under the Drainage Act of Parliament for the Mill Dam with all my shares and dividends in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal ...
... Nephew John Spencer Sole Executor ... Seal 12th Day of April 1808 in the presence of Edw'd Taylor - Thos Castell Jeremiah Shaw. past 18th January 1810

-----------

Doncaster Archives, CWM/949 Deed to lead the uses of a fine (by way of lease and release
[In COOKE of Wheatley Muniments 18 & 19th Centuries. Deeds to lands in Arksey formerly of the Addeman family, sold to Cooke in 1840]

Mentioned is a ... "John Spencer of Conisbrough Park, Conisbrough, Yorks., farmer" ... 
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/c0b0ca1c-c397-4eeb-bdc9-15ae9c98e868

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census for Conisbrough - for Spencer
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the Spencer family of Conisbrough.  In 1808 John Spencer (sorry don't know year of birth) married Alice Judson (born 1777 Yorkshire and still alive in 1861) in Hemingbrough - they then had at least Henry Judson Spencer (1815), John Spink Spencer (1813) and Sarah Ann Spencer (1817) in Conisbrough I should very much like to know if they had any more children and where and when John Spencer senior was born

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Hemingbrough 21st November 1808 by Licence 5th November (not seen, but transcription gives their ages John 42 & Alice 29)
John Spencer of Conisborough in the West Riding County of York Gentleman & a Bachelor &
Alice Judson of this Parish Spinster
In the Presence of us:-
Sarah Judson
Wm Rimmington
Wm Judson

You might be interested to know the following ...
Hemingbrough 27th October 1794 by Licence
William Rimmington of Dion House of this Parish Farmer & Widower and
Ann Judson of Bowthorpe of this Parish Spinster
In the Presence of:-
Ann Rimmington
John Spink
William Porter
William Judson
John Porter

Also
Howden 13th July 1812 by Licence
Sykes Bickers of Conisbro' in the West Riding and
Sarah Judson of this Parish Spinster
Mary Rimmington
William Rimmington
Edw'd Palmer & Thos Tyas (both appear to sign others, so likely Churchmen?)

You will find Sykes Bickers at the following 1833 John Carter marriage, John Carter Carter's first marriage 1826. John Clark who married Hannah Carter (Hannah Carter Clark) of Potter Grange appear to be linked using newspapers & M.I.s at Howden and named in a George Hood of Selby, 1838 property transaction. Also my George Hood of Selby Deeds Family mention a descendant of Cornelius Rimmington of Gateforth Family and the YAS list of property list online also says the same Rimmington Family held property at Pontefract.

The earlier John Hood of Selby, Master Mariner was occupying a house at Selby, Yorkshire, around 1781 owned by John Turner [son of Henry Turner], Tallow Chandler [&  Grocer, other sources] and the 1792 Registration transfer to John Spencer of Selby, Grocer, mentions William Rimington of Pontefract, John Todd of Selby Tanner, Joseph Tate of Wistow, Yeoman. When John Spencer transfers this property at Selby, Yorkshire in 1802 (Registered 1803) the Memorial Registration confirms John Spencer was a Gentleman and the house was occupied by John Hood and Robert Nicholson. The Will of this John Spencer of Selby, links him to Spencer of Conisbrough Park.

Lady Ann Sykes who married Thomas Carter of Howden, Brewer, in 1837 and their grave memorial happens to be adjacent to my Richardson of Howden (from Richardson of Bubwith) Family grave memorials.

Conisbrough 24th December 1833 by Licence
John Carter of Howden, Widower and
Mary Spencer of this Parish Spinster
[ Saml?] Carter
S [? initial for middle name?] Spencer
John Spencer
Sykes Bickers
Henry Spencer

Another link Leeds Mercury 20th May 1837 (also in the Leeds Intelligencer)
Mr John Sykes Carter of Belby near Howden married Sarah Anne Spencer youngest Daughter of the Late Mr John Spencer of Conisbrough Park.

This 1837 Marriage by Licence took place at Darfield on 16th May and present were:-  Joseph Porter; Thos Carter; John S Spencer.

John Spink Spencer was the Son of John and Alice Spencer of Conisbrough and baptised Conisbrough in 1813, Abode Conisbrough Park, Farmer.

Mark