Author Topic: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup  (Read 12472 times)

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been trying to locate Joseph DAWSON (my ggg grandfather) for a couple of years.
He was born c1775, and is recorded at his marriage as having been born in Levington.
He married Mary MAYHEW of Wissett on 08 Jun 1809 at Levington, but I can find no trace of him before then at Levington. The witnesses at their wedding were: John DAWSON and Sarah PARSON.
Working on the theory that the witness is often a brother, I looked for John DAWSON, and found John and Elizabeth DAWSON, both born in Wissett at the right time to be siblings, but no sign of Joseph. Their parents were John DAWSON and Grace, which would fit in with the fact that Joseph's first son was called John.
Joseph was a farmer and landowner. His first son was Joseph Mayhew DAWSON, and the next one was John. He was the resident of Stratton Hall, near Levington (where his family were born and grew up), and his brother William (my gg grandfather) had 2 windmills; one at Rushmere St Andrew, and one at California (Ipswich), and I know that they were a wealthy family.
I suspect that they originated around Wissett, but cannot be sure.
I have looked through the parish records for Levington, and found very few DAWSONs until Joseph's children were born.
I do not know where to look next, and do not have access to the Wissett parish records.
I would be most grateful if SKS could find a birth/christening for him.
His wife Mary MAYHEW was christened in Wissett on 22 Jul 1787, her parents being Robert MAYHEW and Elizabeth STOCKS (married 14 Aug 1782) at Wissett. Likewise, I can find no trace of either of either of them.
There were 3 other MAYHEWs (Nathaniel, William, and Samuel) having children in Wissett at the same time as Robert, but I can find no BDM for any of them either.
They too were all farmers of some standing, so it seems most strange that I can find no record of any of them.

It would be great if anyone could find any trace of either family, as I have been banging my head against this particular brick wall for a long time.

TIA (Thanks in Advance)
Regards
Phil HOW

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil, I have looked at Wissett PRs for you today at the RO as best as I could, some of it is very feint.   After 1813, the Wissett PRs have been transcribed and indexed and bound into a book so this was obviously far easier to search.

I could not find a birth or baptism for your Joseph Dawson but did find some information on the Mayhews (most of it post 1813).  You may know this already, but I will list what I have found in case it is of some use to you.

All information relates to Wissett

Children of Robert Mayhew and Elizabeth (late Stocks):
George, baptised 4/3/1786
Mary, born 19/7/1787, privately baptised 22/7/1787, received into church 30/12/1787

Children of Nathaniel Mayhew and Hannah (late Balls):
John, baptised 26/6/1786
David, born 6/10/1787, baptised 7/10/1787

Children of John and Anne Dawson (late Cropton)
:
Rebecca, born 6/9/1789, bapt 7/9/1789
Charles, bapt 17/2/1793 (father listed as a pauper)

Children of Robert and Mary Mayhew (farmer):
Thomas Edgar baptised 2/10/1814
Mary, born 26/3/1818, baptised 13/4/1818

Children of Robert and Mary Mayhew
(farmer):
William - no date but between 1813-1815
Charles, baptised 10/7/1815

Children of James and Hannah Mayhew (farmer):
Sarah, born 30/3/1826, bap 13/4/1826
William Spalding, baptised 27/2/1827
Thomas Spalding, baptised 16/5/1828
Mary Maria, baptised 12/5/1829
Fanny Spalding, baptised 7/5/1830

Burials
Grace Dawson (very feint), buried 20/4/1777
Elizabeth Mayhew of Halesworth, 1/3/1818 age 2
Charles Mayhew of Woodbridge, 10/1/1824 age 10
Edwin Mayhew of Wissett, 31/10/1824 age 5
Martha Mayhew, 30/3/1825 age 8
William Spalding Mayhew, 12/4/1827, age 6 weeks
Thomas Spalding Mayhew, 14/7/1828 age 2 months
Fanny spalding Mayhew, 9/5/1830 age 1 day

I hope some of this is useful, shame I couldn't answer your original query re: Joseph Dawson.

Regards
Anne

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 05 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, and thanks very much for your time and effort.
The burials especially are most interesting. It seems to show a family connection with Wissett, as Elizabeth is from Halesworth, and Charles is from Woodbridge, yet they have been buried at Wissett.
Edwin is shown as being from Wissett, whilst he was christened on 10 MAR 1819 at Halesworth. of John MAYHEW and Rebecca. I cannot find a John and Rebecca marriage anywhere, so it is all very mysterious.
 The MAYHEWs seem to have avoided public registration. Several of them are shown as being members of the Walpole Chapel, which may have kept it's own records. Who knows? They just don't seem to be very well recorded.

The "Children of Robert and Mary Mayhew" are slightly bemusing, as the IGI shows Thomas Edgar MAYHEW as being the son of Thomas MAYHEW and Mary, for whom likewise I can find no marriage.
It is as if there was a conspiracy to confuse anyone seeking Knowledge of the MAYHEWs!!
The burial for Grace DAWSON is excellent. It is at exactly the right time to be Joseph's mother, and if I cannot eventually find confirmation, I may have to assume that this is his mother. I won't give up yet though!!
Perhaps somewhere there are private family records for the DAWSONs, and for the MAYHEWs?
Anyway, thanks again for your help. It is so nice that someone is willing to give up their time to help others.

Regards
Phil HOW

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Marriages.

1812 / MAIHEW  JN / SKARAT  REB/  WISSETT

1780 / MAIHEW  SAM / HAIHOW  SARA/  HAWSTEAD 
1780 / MAIHEW  SAM / FLAT  MARY/  HOLTON

1795 / MAIHEW  WM / ASHLY  LEWSY/  BRAMFIELD   
1787 / MAIHEW  WM / CARMAN  SARA / FRESSINGFIELD
1782 / MAIHEW  NATH / BALLS  HAN/  WISSETT 

;D
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much!
I already had the Nathanel marriage, but than you for John  & Mary.
John would appear to be the son of Nathaniel. He was a Tailor, and lived to be 95. His wife died before 1861, so he must have had a lonely old age.
Thanks again

Regards
Phil

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 January 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I was interested to find this thread, as I am stuck on what may be the same Mayhew family.

On of my sets of g3-grandparents is Robert Mayhew and Sarah Ellett.  Robert was a farmer (from his son Robert's marriage certificate), probably dead before the 1841 census.  For Sarah I have:

Sarah Ellett
Farmer, Walpole in 1841
- farm off Peasenhall Road, possibly Threadbare Hall Farm (about 5 miles south of Wissett) -
       c. 2 Apr 1799, Heveningham, parents David Ellett and Sarah Pierson
       m. 26 Dec 1820, Walpole:  Robert Mayhew
        children:
               Robert Mayhew (b 5 Feb 1823, Halesworth - cd a. Nov 1892)
               Edward Mayhew (b 3 Jun 1825, Halesworth - )

The only local baptism for Robert Mayhew (senior) that seems to fit is in the family mentioned in this post, baptised in 1782 as the oldest of the 8 children of Robert Mayhew & Elizabeth Stocks of Wissett, who also include Mary, c. 1787.

I'd be very grateful if someone could look up the above entries for Sarah Ellett (marriage 1829, children 1823, 1825), to see if they give any useful additional info, especially on her husband.  Please note that they both come from non-standard IGI sources, so I'm not sure which specific church or chapel they relate to.  [By the way, The independent chapel in Walpole looks to be well worth a visit - see http://www.walpoleoldchapel.co.uk/index.htm ]

I have looked for other info on the 8 children of Robert Mayhew & Elizabeth Stocks.  The only one I can find much on is Joseph William Mayhew,(1796-1850), who became a Dissenting Ministeri in Halesworth; he is with his wife Sarah Ann (Haward) and 7 of their 8 children there in the 1841 census.  [But transcribed as "Mayham"; a proble for census lookups is that Mayhew seems a very easy name to mis-transcribe. What is probably his brother George is in Stepney with his family in 1841, treanscribed as Mayhan
/ Maghea (!).]

Best wishes

Denis

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 January 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
PS - correction
'
Apologies - I see I typed 1829 when I meant 1820; that should have read:

I'd be very grateful if someone could look up the above entries for Sarah Ellett (marriage 1820, children 1823, 1825), to see if they give any useful additional info, especially on her husband.

Denis

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
PS(2)   A search of the National Archives surprisingly came up with a marriage licence for the couple I was asking about ..

Marriage licence  FC 72/D4/1  26 December 1820
Robert [...] Mayhew of the parish of Walpole, bachelor, age 24 and
Sarah Ellett of the parish of Kelsale, spinster age 21.

The age of Sarah fits with previous info; but if Robert is 24, he can't be the one from Wissett b 1782.  There are no entries in the IGI for a Robert Mayhew born 1796 - the nearest is one in Westhall in 1794.  However, the IGI doesn't include (for instance) the C of E church at Walpole.
I'd be grateful if anyone has access to that and can look him up.

Denis

-------
Previously given info about marriage and children:
Sarah Ellett
Farmer, Walpole in 1841
- farm off Peasenhall Road, possibly Threadbare Hall Farm (about 5 miles south of Wissett) -
       c. 2 Apr 1799, Heveningham, parents David Ellett and Sarah Pierson
       m. 26 Dec 1820, Walpole:  Robert Mayhew
        children:
               Robert Mayhew (b 5 Feb 1823, Halesworth - cd a. Nov 1892)
               Edward Mayhew (b 3 Jun 1825, Halesworth - )

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any connection or not

St Sepulchre Holborn London marriage
Joseph Mayhew DAWSON of the parish of St Dunstan, Stepney, in the county of Middlesex, bachelor, and Mary Revett STEEL, of this parish, spinster, were married in this church by Licence, this Second day of April, in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty Two, by me J Bateman, MA, Curate
This marriage was solemnized between us Joseph Mayhew DAWSON (signed) and Mary Revett STEEL (signed)
In the presence of George MAYHEW (signed) and Mary Ann MAYHEW (signed)

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk