Author Topic: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup  (Read 12466 times)

Offline KFerraro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph and John DAWSON
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a John Dawson b c1811, son of Joseph Dawson b c1780.  John would have disappeared off the English map 1829 when he left England for Australia with his employer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Kerryn

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
replying to an old post by eyesee which I only just saw.
I already have this marriage, but thanks very much anyway.
Joseph Mayhew Dawson was the eldest brother of my gg grandfather William Dawson.
George (husband of Mary Ann) Mayhew, the witness was Joseph's uncle, being the brother of my ggg grandmother (Joseph and Wiliam's mother) Mary Mayhew.
George was baptised 04 Mar 1786 at Wissett, and lived at 43 Jubilee place, Mile End old Town, Stepney, where he was a Custom House Officer at least back to 1841, and where he lived until his death on 21st March 1852.
Cheers for that. I'm still researching, but have a wealth of info about the Dawsons and Mayhews of the area around Ipswich.

Regards
Phil

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »

Another brother of Mary and George Mayhew was Joseph William Mayhew (1796-1850), dissenting minister in Halesworth.  They, and several others, were children of Robert Mayhew and Elizabeth Stocks, who married at Wissett on 14 Aug 1782 (Witnesses:Thomas Pags & George Howlett according to the IGI (FamilySearch)).

No less than 12 Public Family Trees - and a pedigree resource file on the IGI - claim that Robert was born in 1744/5/6 in Stradbroke (about 10 miles west of  Halesworth), one of 13 children of Robert Mayhew & Martha Newman.  These are all according to the pedigree resource file; the C18 registers for Stradbroke don't seem to be on the IGI.
Most of the family trees also claim that he lived till 1845 (aged 100/101 !), though one gives 1795.

My question is: where's the source for this Robert (b 1745ish in Stradbroke) being the one who married Elizabeth Stocks in Wissett in 1782?  My strong suspicion is that the 12 trees are all copying each other or the PRF. If there is no strong evidence, there are other possiblilities for this Robert Mayhew, e.g. the one chr. 5 May 1751 Heveningham.

Denis

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 12 02:21 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be mainly circumstantial, and probably wouldn't stand up in court!
Robert Mayhew married Martha Newman  03 AUG 1742  Stradbroke, Suffolk
Robert had siblings James and Sarah (at least)
Robert the younger married Elizabeth Stocks.
His probable siblings include Robert, James, Sarah and Martha.
(Martha married James Balls, brother of Hannah who married Nathaniel.)
John Mayhew (presumed sibling of Robert the younger) also has children James, Robert, Sarah and Martha.
Apart from that it is only a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Something concrete would be good1
Incidentally I'm the one that has Robert dying in 1795, which is patently incorrect, as his youngest son Samuel  was born and buried in 1801 according to the Parish Records.
Sadly I cannot remember who gave me the info about Stadbroke, and I don't seem to have any sources either.

Offline KFerraro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 January 12 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Anyone missing a Joseph Dawson born around 1780 and son John Dawson born around 1806-11??

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandfather was Joseph Dawson born c 1775. He is described as being from Levington, Suffolk, but his marriage says that both he and his wife Mary Mayhew are "of Wissett" in the North of Suffolk.
Their first son was Joseph Mayhew Dawson, and second son was John Dawson bap Levington 1811.
I have never found definite parents for Joseph, though John and Grace of Wissett seem the most likely.
Why do you ask? Where lies your interest?

Regards
Phil How

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Phil

When you say "John Mayhew (presumed sibling of Robert the younger) also has children James, Robert, Sarah and Martha." are you referring to the John Mayhew who married Elizabeth Adams at Westhall in 1770?  If so, this John is probably christened at Hedingham in 1747, son of John Mayhew & Mary Saunders ("age at marriage 23" supports this).  So he's not the one christened in Stradbroke in 1745; and his brother Robert is christened 5 May 1751 in Heveningham, again not Stradbroke.

Quite separately, I do see problems with the supposed 13 children of Robert Mayhew and Mathta Newman, who married 3 Aug 1742 Stradbroke.  They are given as parents of Robert, chr. 25 Mar 1744 (or should that be 8  Jan 1745/6?), but of the others, three are given as having mother Mary (no maiden name); one of these is christened before the marriage of Robert and Martha, and the others on 26 Mar 1744 and 23 Jul 1745, which doesn't leave room for Robert to be their brother.  So it looks as though there was a second Robert Mayhew, with wife Mary, having children in Stradbroke at the same time as Robert and Martha.  And then none of the other nine children have a cited christening record - is there a definite link for any of them to Stradbroke?

Sorry to be so negative, but it would be nice to clear this up, in case Stradbroke is a wild goose chase!

Best wishes

Denis

Offline Abbytess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 February 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis
I am very interested in finding more information on the John Mayhews of Westhall and of Heveningham. I cannot seem to trace them back further with any degree of confidence. I would be so grateful for any information you have or guidance you may provide in this regard.

Best regards
Gord

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 February 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gord

Can you be more specific as to which John Mayhew you're interested in?
My g^5f John Mayhew is the one who married Elizabeth Adams in Westhall on 13 Nov  1770. He subsequently farmed in the next door parish of Redisham and died in 1823 leaving a very detailed will referring to his 10 or so children, the youngest of whom was my g^4f Robert Mayhew (1795-1831).

It seems likely that John was the one baptised in Jun 1747 in Heveningham (a few miles south of Westhall), with parents John Mayhew and Mary Saunders who married there in 1743.

The possible relationship of John to the Mary Mayhew of the original Rootschat posting here is that her father Robert (m Elizabeth Stocks 1782 Wissett) might be his brother, b 1751.