Author Topic: WW1 SOLDIER's RECORDS  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Marjorie

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WW1 SOLDIER's RECORDS
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have a British War Medal and Victory Medal belonging to a distant family member - he was a Driver in the R.A. and the medals have a number on them.  I left a message asking how to trace his records today, but have just found a lead elsewhere on the site!!!  -  Sorry - from this  I have now obtained a copy of the Medal Card for my relative but am disappointed to note that all it records is the info. I already have, i.e. name, regiment no. rank, corps. and medals awarded.   It does also give a roll No. and a page number - to what does this refer - and where can I view it?
This is all a new to me so I am probably being a bit dim.
BROOKES     WYER        JEAVONS    SMITH   MITCHELL     RADNALL  GILL            GROVES
ALLEN

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 SOLDIER's RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 04 08:48 BST (UK) »
I too have reached a similar stage with my relatives in that generation. Coincidentally, I ended up queuing for the cross Channel ferry earlier this week behind a minibus that offers battlefield tours and I pumped the guides for some information. Basically information for other ranks is very sketchy indeed. The best bet is to take the regimental details (battalion number) from the info you already hold and trace the activities of the regiment. There are several sources of information for that. The regimental records probably hold the most information and you may be able to find something more from that. but with amalgamation of the regiments over the last century, it's a bit messy.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I hope it helps a bit.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 11:47 BST (UK) »
 8)

If you are lucky it may be possible to obtain the persons war records from Kew, as long as you have a number, name regiment etc, you can have a try there and see if the record is available.
Sadly many of the WW1 records were burnt during WW2 and are therefore not available, I myself have been unable to obtain my father`s records, I do have his discharge paper with relevant details and that is all.

If you can get to Kew, its worth a try anyway
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Marjorie

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nick and Mars Barr for the info. you both supplied which give me leads to follow.   Many thanks. :)

Marjorie
BROOKES     WYER        JEAVONS    SMITH   MITCHELL     RADNALL  GILL            GROVES
ALLEN