Author Topic: Looking for Susanna Zelly/Burt 1841 census  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Susanna Zelley the daughter of Hannah Lovell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 December 05 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if Susanna nee ZELLEY was related to the many Zelleys who lived in the same area arround Hope Square Weymouth.
Best wishes
Granny Annie
Yes!

Just a brief visit to this thread to determine if we
can move the family history of the Burt - Zelley - Lovell
branch closer to the 1900's and beyond.
Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline Granny Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Susanna Zelly/Burt 1841 census
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 05 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have been so long in coming back to you, but I was  hoping i would have heard from Bristol Orphanage by now. I spoke to them five weeks ago, about the girls and yes, they could find info on who put them there and the letters, family etc plus other details, so sent my cheque. They then informed me that there was a waiting list and might take some time !!

I do have marriage cert of Mary Ann Burt and  Thomas Lewis dated June 1875 Penge in Surrey. He was a Police Constable. Moved to Westminster and brought up their family of three there.

Still looking for James Burt's birth PLace and Parents.
Seems a bit of a mystery.
On his Marriage cert to Susannah  Zelley on 4th Dec 1831 at Fleet,  the witness was George Burt (maybe brother ! )  and William Nash.
Have also wondered if William Burt who lived in Hope St in 1851 Tidesmaster was a brother but have not managed. to prove this yet !! Lots of threads to try and unravel.

Have the death certs of James and Susannah. He died 25th June 1848 at 19 Horsford St  Weymouth age 41yrs ,Corn Porter. Died of a Fever.
She died 16th Sept 1849, same place , aged 44yrs ,widow of James. Died of Cholera.
Have discovered that  Hannah daughter of James and Susannah that was in Weymouth Union Workhouse 1851 also there ,was her brother John Burt aged 10yrs.born Chickerell .
 Still to find what happened to Mary, Betsy and Susan. These children lived in Putton, Chickerel .
Then followed Susan b1842, Mary Ann b   July 1844 at North Quay and Jemima 1848. Who were in the Orphanage. No other members of the family were there.
Any help welcome.
Granny Annie

Champion, Carter & Lewis (London),
Champion & Holmes SRY
Burt Dorset
Burnhill Oxford
Baldwin, Keen(e), Atkins, Sa(u)nders Bucks
Lewis, Burnhill  Camarthen

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BURT - ZELLEY
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 05 22:19 GMT (UK) »
[Sorry I have been so long in coming back to you, but I was  hoping i would have heard from Bristol Orphanage by now. I spoke to them five weeks ago, about the girls and yes, they could find info on who put them there and the letters, family etc plus other details, so sent my cheque. They then informed me that there was a waiting list and might take some time !!]

ISN'T THAT GRAND, send the Cheque then the long wait!

[I do have marriage cert of Mary Ann Burt and  Thomas Lewis dated June 1875 Penge in Surrey. He was a Police Constable. Moved to Westminster and brought up their family of three there.]

As there is a LEWIS branch in my direct family tree, I would welcome more details about Thomas Lewis.

[Still looking for James Burt's birth PLace and Parents.
Seems a bit of a mystery.
On his Marriage cert to Susannah  Zelley on 4th Dec 1831 at Fleet,  the witness was George Burt (maybe brother ! )  and William Nash.
Have also wondered if William Burt who lived in Hope St in 1851 Tidesmaster was a brother but have not managed. to prove this yet !! Lots of threads to try and unravel.]

Are you able to scan the marriage certificate and send to me direct - PM me on this or Dorset-Ancestors site.

[Have the death certs of James and Susannah. He died 25th June 1848 at 19 Horsford St  Weymouth age 41yrs ,Corn Porter. Died of a Fever.
She died 16th Sept 1849, same place , aged 44yrs ,widow of James. Died of Cholera.]
[Have discovered that  Hannah daughter of James and Susannah that was in Weymouth Union Workhouse 1851 also there ,was her brother John Burt aged 10yrs.born Chickerell .
 Still to find what happened to Mary, Betsy and Susan. These children lived in Putton, Chickerel .
Then followed Susan b1842, Mary Ann b   July 1844 at North Quay and Jemima 1848. Who were in the Orphanage. No other members of the family were there.
Any help welcome.]
Granny Annie

Best of luck in your searches and info gathering.

Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline galengirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
hello

Very interested to read about your search:  James Burt was my 3 x great grandfather.

James and Susannah had a son John who married Fanny Hansford Hallett in 1861

Their daughter Emily Jemima (named after james/susannah's daughter?)married Sam Sydenham

Their daughter was my grandma Hilda

I wondered if you had found out anymore about James and Susannah since the last post on this thread.

I believe I have found james and his father and uncles (William - who could be the Weymouth Wm and George - who could be the witness) and their offspring in Fordington (Dorchester).  Would you be able to provide anymore info or be able to confirm this?  I have nothing more to go on than a very strong feeling that this is the family.

Much of my family - including Sam Sydenham - have Bristol links and i wondered if you now knew why the girls were sent to the  Bristol Orphanage.  I would be very interested to know more about this.

Offline GMCT_archivist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 April 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On my great grandma's Mary Ann Burts birth cert (  born July 1844 at 12 North Quay Weymouth.  )  Her parents were James Burt and Susanna nee ZELLEY.

They had two other daughters , Sarah born 1842 and Jemima 1849.

Unfortunatly the parents died , James 1848 and Susanna 1849 and the children were put into the Bristol Orphanage, Ashley Down.

I would like to find out more on Susanna  (Zelley ) on the 1841 census.  Whether she was still single on had just got married  to James Burt as Unfortunatley I have no details of their marriage as yet.
Be very grateful for any help.
Best wishes,
Granny Annie.

Mary Ann Burts was born on 26 July 1844.  Susanna and James were married on 4 December 1831 in Fleet.