Author Topic: Where can I find 2nd World War records ?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where can I find 2nd World War records ?
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My late grandfather was a soldier in WW2.  He has left me his medals, but I remember him telling me there was another one which was no longer in production at the time that he sent for his (many years after the war).

I do not know what this other medal is (the 3 he did have are: 1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star and War Medal 1939-45).
I am hoping to find somewhere where I can see his service record.

Does anyone know if there is a searchable on-line site, or an address I can write to ?  I have his service number.

Many thanks,
Vicky.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.
Counties: Glamorgan, Monmouth, Gloucester, Brecon, Hereford,

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find 2nd World War records ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 04 06:17 BST (UK) »
Try these links ,these may help you , which I got from cindi's list  http://www.cyndislist.com/index.htm ( very handy website to keep in your favourites. there are  lots of good links on that site for most things)

http://www.mod.uk/contacts/army_records.htm ( British defence web site, where there are a few addresses you can write to regarding the records and medals)

Officers and Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997
Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures,
Mailpoint 400,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow G2 8EX

For telephone enquiries, please use the number below:

Telephone:  0845 600 9663

Fax:  0141 224 2144

The Ministry of Defence does not normally release information from a service record to persons other than the individual concerned or their next of kin.  There is a search fee for genealogical enquiries which currently stands at £25.00.

C. THE BRITISH ARMY - Other sources of information

1. County Record Offices

Many county and borough record offices have military collections, usually based on local Militia / Yeomanry / Volunteer / Territorial / Home Guard units but in certain cases covering locally recruited Regular units as well. Details of record offices appear in: The Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts. Record repositories in Great Britain: a geographical directory. HMSO Ninth edition 1991. ISBN 0-11-440243-4.

2. Genealogy

Society of Genealogists,
14 Charterhouse Buildings,
Goswell Road,
London EC1M 7BA.

Telephone: 020-7251 8799.

3. Honours and awards

The Army Medal Office,
Ministry of Defence,
Government Buildings,
Worcester Road,
Droitwich Spa,
Worcestershire
WR9 8AU.

.....................................................................................................................................................

Be interesting to know how you get on,or anyone who has gone and got their grandparents medals and records.  I wouldn't mind a few records and medals  for my grandfather who served in France during the war,  and  also Asia  ( served his whole  life in the army, he made it his career. when he died my uncle nabbed all his medals  and things  - and sold them!..  very nice of him  eh? crying shame to lose all that)
 :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 04 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

This family history stuff is all new to me.  I am glad that I have found this helpful site.

Vicky.
Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.

madbadrob

« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 04 22:02 BST (UK) »
Vicky,

The links already given will be of help but this is going to cost you to get if I remember rightly.  WW2 records are still closed for another 15 years again if my memory is holding out on me yet immediate family if they write to the address above can get access I think the cost is 10 or 15 pounds.

Rob

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 09:32 BST (UK) »
No problem Vicky .We are all  learning. I wish I had come across this website, or anything like it  when I first started. I have been tracing my family for a little over a year now, and  to my mind very much a beginner. I  have had no help what so -ever. And yet gone back earliest so far to the 1600's with parish records ( and a lot of mistakes and frustrations along the way get it right, and then double checking..and still on lines I can't find them.

I honestly don't mind helping others, as I know how frustrating  it can be. ( especially when I'm trying to do it all when I'm not in the UK.) . And wish I'd had some help along the way when I first started . And I thank the mods, and others who knew more about the  question  I asked ( death records)  than I did when  I asked- it's the  little  things that can make  all  the world of  difference  sometimes  .

Good  luck  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 18:30 BST (UK) »
 :D you could also try askin on ww11forum.com  :)
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Graceland,

Thanks for the pointer to the WW11 forum.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find it...

Would you be able to post the correct URL / web address, please ?

Thank you,
Vicky.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 22:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jen...

I was typing 'double-ONE' instead of 'double-I'...
 ::)
Vicky.