Author Topic: Ages on Cenus'  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Sooziecats

• I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Jessie Wanklyn 16.01.1913 - Christmas Eve 1987
    • View Profile
Ages on Cenus'
« on: Friday 21 October 05 08:54 BST (UK) »
I know from experience that ages recorded on Census checks can be quite a few years out.  The problem I have at the moment is that one possible ancestor is recorded as being 40 this could be as much as 10 years too old.  Is this possible or am I (again) barking up the wrong tree?!

Cheers
Sue B
Herefordshire - Wanklyn (all variations)
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Bayliss
Gloucestershire - Creese
Gloucestershire - Johnson
Gloucestershire - Emerson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Ages on Cenus'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 05 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue B,

Which census is it? Cause the 1841 census they rounded it up or down so could possibly be a ways out. If it is an later census then possibly it is a transcriber error??

I have seen several census returns where the age in the transciption is quite obviously wrong (to me any but I know what I am looking for  ;) ) Can you look at the actual page for yourself?

Hope that helps some what, of course there is another possiblility it might be the wrong person!

Good luck  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Sooziecats

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
It is on the 1841 census, I have looked at the page myself and it is fairly clear that the age is 40, all the names fit in with our family, it is just the age that could be anywhere between 9 and 11 years out.

Thanks for your help
Sue B
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Creese

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue B,

If it is the 1841 census there are heaps of mistakes in it  :-\

I have some people who are quite obviously the right people but the age is out, in all other census' returns correct though, are the other people's ages correct (remembering the rounding)?

If so I reckon that it is probably the right family if they are in the right area and the names all match  ;)

What is the surname? Is it common?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Sooziecats

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back so quick.

The surname is Wanklyn, so not too common although there are alot of them in Hereofrdshire. 
Source H0107-0431
Folio - 13/3
Page 1

Cheers sue
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Creese

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Another thing to remember is the literacy or rather illiteracy of people.  The head of the house may well have known how old he was, but did his wife know? and who was at home when the enumerator called? 

And a last point - it might be the right family, but could there be a second marriage with the first husband/wife having the same name as the first and so a contradictory age appears.

Sorry to put a spanner in the wheel, but mostly I would expect the first reason to be the answer.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 05 13:32 BST (UK) »
I agree with Mary, illiteracy was a big issue, and I have also had the second explanation happen in my family as well  :)

It can happen with names like Sarah or Ann or something common where a wife dies inbetween census and the fellow marries a lady with the same name, just to confuse us on the next census - often picked up in later census because of the extra information like place of birth etc

Wanklyn sounds pretty uncommon to me, I reckon it is the right family but I perhaps we will never know  ;)

Jenny