Author Topic: Scott from Arbroath  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Ian Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Scott from Arbroath
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hello forum,

I just recently returned from a trip to my home town Dundee Scotland. Had not been back since 1990
It was a wonderful family reunion, way over due. I took my wife and 3 youngest children. They got to meet there aunts and uncles and all their cousins for the first time, they had a blast. We spent quite abit time in Arbroath which is where my family went on holiday every year as kids. Coming back I have devolped an interest in my family tree which I had never really thought of before. My Mum gave me some of the old birth certificates
so I could do some research.

So here is what I know so far.
My Great grandfather Alexander Scott (Blacksmith ) married Mary Airth 1898 July 15th Arbroath.
had a son, my grandad Alexander Scott (Joiner journeyman) on 1899 May 15th 5 St Vigeans Rd Arbroath
he married my grandmother Cecilia Farquharson Hunter July 24th 1924 Dundee. They gave birth to my father,yet another Alexander Scott (Tool and Dye maker) on October 23rd 1929

Well thats all I know on my father side, so I'll tackle this first.

Thank you for any help or tips on how to pursue the quest of my family tree.

Ian

Scott,Mcintosh,Airth,Hunter,Milne,Strachan,Gilchrist,Farquharson.,Watson,Low.

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scott from Arbroath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Glad to hear you had a good trip back to Dundee and Arbroath.  Must have been nice after all that time. 

Not sure how much you know, but here are some websites which will help you with your family research.   

You have your great grandparents marriage certificate, so their parents should be named on that.  That's your first step in going back - find their marriage and death certificates, which will give their parents and so on.

Probably the best thing to do is read the information on the undernoted websites, which will help you get back. 

ScotlandsPeople give you online birth, marriage and death certificates for Statutory Registration, from 1855.  They also let you search an index of Old Parochial Records, pre 1855.  They also have online census'.

FamilySearch is the online index of the Mormon Church.  If you go to the section IGI, this will let you search records' indexes, giving you names, dates and parents names, in the case of births.  Unfortunately, there are no deaths as such, since pre 1855,  not many deaths were actually recorded. It's not quite 100% accurate, but you will soon learn what's what!!!!!

The GROS website will give you lots of information which should help in your search.   

Sorry, I am not very good at explaining things!!!!!!  There are lots of "chatters" here who will give you help, so just post your queries. 

Regards,   Dorothy

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

http://www.familysearch.org/

Offline Ian Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 05 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dorothy,

I got some help from one of the other chatters, Anne. The first night for 24 pounds, I went back pretty far. Stayed up till 5 am in the morning. Wow talk about addictive. Once you find one you can't stop. ;D

Anyway I'm slowing down a bit. ( have to at this rate I'll be broke in a month) ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Bye the noo

Ian

ps thanks for the links.
Scott,Mcintosh,Airth,Hunter,Milne,Strachan,Gilchrist,Farquharson.,Watson,Low.

Offline Betty Scott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

What a great surprise! - I'm Linda Jones Kendrick - Betty's daughter your first cousin from Wales, just a few weeks ago I made contact with Alison Cauley Minnesota USA -  Aunt Betty's Granddaughter -  I was searching for George T Jackson - and Elizabeth Betsey-Farquharson through Ancestry.

There is everything you need to know-absolutely Amazing - I found some news paper articles about Mary Airth died in 1915 at Elliot Place - also Alexander Scott worked at Alexandra Shanks a Blacksmith all his life except  for six year as an official at the Quarriers Home,s Glasgow - also a family notice of his death described as a well known and respected Townsman lived at 63, Fergus Square Arbroath, I've posted everything on to Alison.
I also posted  some photos of us in Caperdown park - and Arbroath only last week, It's been a very emotional time for me to see my Mother photos especially of her as a child, our second cousin Bob Wallace got in touch with me and informed me that his Mother Barbara Scott Elder Mc Dougall-was my Mothers best friend and bridesmaid at her wedding - she was also Bob,s God Mother, and for a time lived at 20 Mid Street for a while.
The Family Photos are amazing for you to see and the information is mind blowing, glad to hear all is well with you and all the Scott's Family.
Best Wishes to you all
Linda.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda and welcome to Rootschat ...Ian has not been active on this site since 2005 if his contact details are still the same he will receive an notification that you have posted  :)

Rosie

Offline Betty Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Many Thanks
Linda