Author Topic: ASC query and photo ID  (Read 2614 times)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ASC query and photo ID
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 17:11 GMT (UK) »
 ???  well the first pic is an officer (Lieutenant i think) in the Lancashire fusileers If I'm not mistaken, so I think that might be a red herring

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 18:51 GMT (UK) »
chris, your right about the 1st picture,2/LT lancashire fusiliers,the 2nd picture is from right to left,kings own royal lancaster regt,ASC,ASC,ASC,front row right to left,east lancs regt,loyal north lancs regt,ASC,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:19 GMT (UK) »
well my twopenneth on the second

the badges of all except both soldiers on the right of each row could well be ASC/RASC I'll post a pic of the badge later so you can compare yourself

the soldier on the bottom right has a crossed rifles badge on his sleeve, a marksman badge (not what you expect from an ASC man)  the soldier above him has a totally different badge, hard to see and not enough detail to me to say

because of the way he's looking slightly away from the camera, his eyes themselves and the hand on the shoulder of the guy in front of him, makes me wonder if he can't see? Soldier sat on far left has a walking stick and has the guy behind him got a stick as well?

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  you've got better eyes than me Bernard!

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »

Oh wow Chris!

I never thought of them being wounded ...... !
but now I look again - I think you're right!!
Boy! you're smart!!  :)
and Mack too - of course!!

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:59 GMT (UK) »
OK, now I'm thoroughly confused, but many thanks for the expert opinions!

The photos all came to me from my grandparents, so I presume are of imediate family: my grandfather (RCJ) had no brothers, just a younger sister.  My grandmother had a brother James Potts (b. 1878), who according to my aunt was wounded in WW1 (she thought disfigured), and became a recluse, so maybe that's where I need to look?

Many thanks again - I really appreciate your help!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I've reviewed the original pic, i think they are manchesters with a few jocks in there,  probably two different regiments due to the hats ( tam o shanters and glengarrys)

It's mid to late war because of the sleeve badges, which mean they have been in combat

here are the badge pictures  :D  good luck

PS you want to talk about them to smarter folks than me..post them on the great war forum ;D

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 07:07 GMT (UK) »
chris,the picture of the 7 men was taken earlier than the manchester one,rcj has only got one good conduct stripe,in the manchester picture he has two,and non of the 7 men have wound stripes,but in the manchester picture hes been wounded twice,he may have already been a soldier in the loyal north lancs regt before the war started then transferred to the manchesters,and later on joined the ASC,chris have you ever seen a ASC unit carrying rifles,i think the men in the ASC picture are not the average ASC,a specific unit perhaps,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 08:18 GMT (UK) »
chris,the picture of the 7 men was taken earlier than the manchester one,rcj has only got one good conduct stripe,in the manchester picture he has two,and non of the 7 men have wound stripes,but in the manchester picture hes been wounded twice,

yep I'd agree with that

chris have you ever seen a ASC unit carrying rifles,i think the men in the ASC picture are not the average ASC,a specific unit perhaps,mack

Only ten or so rifles for around 50 men though, so i'd be more inclined to think they are props, some wearing goggles some not  ??? not sure really  ( I did hava a look for my great grand father in there though :) )