Author Topic: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)  (Read 27515 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather John Hetherington married Kate Regan in August 1892 at Castlecomer.  No ages are given on the marriage record I have, so I don't know how old he was.  I have a handwritten slip of paper though (with "Parochial House, Castlecomer" typed in the top corner) giving the baptism of a John Hetherington in March 1860, parents John Hetherington and Margaret Carney.

The above slip is dated 1924, so I don't know how accurate it can be 64 years after the fact, but assuming this John is the same John who married Kate, does anyone have any other info on this family?  I'd love to be able to flesh out this branch of my tree as it's looking rather barren at the moment.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mad Mick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 08 20:38 BST (UK) »
My father was Joseph P. Hetherington born 1930 son of Micheal J.Hetherington born Castlecomer November1899 his father was John Hetherington married Kate Maiden name (Regan) both died in Low walker Newcastle 1937.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
Silverhawk- sounds as though the church baptismal record was a document needed to prove his age for pension entitlement as their were no birth certificates before 1864 and by 1924 many earlier census records were destroyed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 08 23:16 BST (UK) »
My father was Joseph P. Hetherington born 1930 son of Micheal J.Hetherington born Castlecomer November1899 his father was John Hetherington married Kate Maiden name (Regan) both died in Low walker Newcastle 1937.
That's spot-on with the research I've done in the last three years.  I'm grandson of Michael's sister, Margaret (or Peggy as she was known), so that makes us second cousins :)

I remember contacting someone on the Hetherington branch one christmas a few years ago, but I lost the phone number.  Apparently there were two siblings I never knew about?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
I am coming to this thread a bit late in the day, I know, but I'm hoping Silverhawk and Mad Mick are still active.  I am researching my wife's side of the family.  She is a Hetherington from Castlecomer.  In going through as many Castlecomer Hetherington records as I could find, I came across the family of John Hetherington and Margaret Carney/Kearney.  Among the sponsors of some of their children were George, John and Winifred Hetherington.  I'm reasonably sure that George is my wife's great, great grandfather and that John and Winifred were his children.  (George's wife was Bridget O'Dea).  If I am right, the John who married Margaret Carney could have been George's brother.  This is obviously guesswork but I'm wondering if Silverhawk or Mad Mick have any information that would throw any light?
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

you probably have all this stuff already but sure I'll post it anyway just incase

This is John Hetherington and Kate Regan in the 1901 census

hetherington / regan castlecomer 1901

The free index on ifhf is showing 9 baptisms between 1852 and 1868 to John Hetherington and Margaret Carney

'dermo'

the marriage of George and Bridget is also on ifhf - have you gotten this transcription to see waht his father's names was ?

Tara

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
This is John Hetherington and Kate Regan in the 1901 census

hetherington / regan castlecomer 1901

The free index on ifhf is showing 9 baptisms between 1852 and 1868 to John Hetherington and Margaret Carney

I found the 1901 census page of John and Kate's family a little while ago, but have no clue about this IFHF thing.  Where would I go for this information, please?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
ifhf is a pay per view site that has old transcriptions of Irish church records

ifhf site

Tara

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that  :)  I just did a search though and only got 8 matches.  Who was the 9th?  Also for some reason the search page displayed the name "Hetherton".  Is that a typo by the site?