Author Topic: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)  (Read 27497 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned, Margaret is listed as a widow in the 1874 marriage cert so we can be reasonably certain she had been John Hetherington's wife.
I haven't searched for a death record.  There are a number of Margaret O'Briens/Briens in Kilkenny in the 1901 census and a few with husband Patrick.  The problem is that there is no way to be sure if any of them is the right one.  Given that Margaret had her first child with John Hetherington, that we know of, in 1852 she must have been in her sixties, at least, in 1901.  Patrick was younger and , at 33 in 1874, would have been 59 or 60 in 1901.  None of the Margaret & Patrick O'Brien combos in 1901 quite fit that profile.   
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
I can't see any children born to this couple either.

Going on the details that you guys have it appears that she was in her mid 40's when she married Patrick, so while not unheard of it looks unlikely that she had children with him.

They could have left Kilkenny, but again with such common names this is nearly impossible to work out.

Tara

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
I've found the following in the Irish death indexes.

John Hetherington
Age 37  /  Castlecomer  /  1864  /  Vol 8, Page 363

Margaret Brien
Age 72  /  Castlecomer  /  Jul-Sep 1900  /  Vol 3, Page 274

That would make them both born in the late 1820s.  What do you think?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
With a rare surname like Hetherington I would say the John would be very likely.

As to the Margaret Brien, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. It depends on how much you want to know I suppose.

I have sometimes gambled the 4 euro to purchase a cert on what I wasn't sure was the right person or not and sometimes I hit the jackpot. For that again, I also have purchased a LOT of incorrect certs....so again it depends on how much you would really want that cert.

Please bear in mind that death certs sometimes don't contain a lot of information on them as it depended on the person who registered the death and what the knew of the person.

You usually get the place they resided at the time of death (sometimes this may just be a hospital, it should have the person's address too but not always), what they died of and who registered the death. Also an occupation if applicable.

Tara

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
John's death in 1864 is possible.  The last child we definitely know was his and Margaret Kearney's was Richard, born 10 July 1863.  However, if Anne born 4 February 1865 was the child of John and Margaret rather than John and Anne Kearney, as it is recorded, then there is uncertainty.  There was at least one other John around Castlecomer at the time.  He was married to Mary Curry and they had a son John in April 1850.  John was a common name among the Hetheringtons.  Unfortunately, the IFHF Kilkenny records have no baptismal records for Johns in the 1820s - indeed, none before 1840 that I can find.
Margaret Brien at 72 in 1900 could be the correct person.  At the least, it would explain the absence in the 1901 census.  The record implies birth in 1827 or 1828.  IFHF has baptismal records for three Margaret Carneys in the 1820s - in 1822, 1827 and 1829.  The latter two look like good possibilities. I haven't checked them but, if either had a father named Martin, it would tie it up.  Birth in 1827 or 1829 would mean Margaret was a good deal older than Patrick O'Brien when she married him in 1874 - 45 or 47 versus his 33, a big but not impossible age gap. 
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
For Margaret's death certificate, the informant may be useful if it's a Hetherington relative.  It would help tie her in for definite.

I'll order copies of the two death certs this week and update the thread when I receive them :)
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
I've checked IFHF Kilkenny again.  The Margaret Carney baptised in 1827 was the daughter of Edmund Carney while Margaret born in 1929 had a father named Thomas.  If the age on the Margaret Brien death cert is correct then, even if she were a Carney, it doesn't seem as if she was the wife of John Hetherington and Patrick O'Brien, unfortunately.

Offline Ger Heth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 September 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also coming to this thread late.
I am a Hetherington from Castlecomer and directly descended from George that married Bridget O'Dea. George & Bridget had 11 children: John 25/12/1840, Winnie 3/3/1843, Edward 13/7/1845 (my great grandfather, Fanny 27/6/1848, Henry 21/4/1850, Anne 10/4/1852, George 14/5/1854, Ann 13/5/1856, Mary 22/6/1858, Bridget 17/8/1860 and James 4/11/1863).
George's father was William Hetherington who married Fanny Stephenson. That's as far back as we have managed to go so far on our tree which we have collated in Ancestry.Com.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ger Heth

I've sent you a personal message.

Dermo