Author Topic: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)  (Read 27464 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
New members of RootsChat usually require at least three posts before they have full access to the personal message system, so Ger Heth may require a few more posts before being able to receive or send messages.

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Cameron Hetherington

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I am a Hetherington, Born and Raised. I am the Great Great Grandson of John Hetherington and Kate Regan. Heard of a Martin P. Hetherington , he's my great-Grandfather I know he is from Walker, Newcastle Upon Tyne and has a fair bunch of siblings. I thinks there's a 3 Irish born Mary, Patrick and Michael and the rest Kate, Elizabeth, Annie, James and Margaret or Peggy as she is know from Walker.
                                            My family tree
 John H + Margaret Kearny     Patrick Regan + Anne Comerford                   Kilkenny, Ireland
      John H            +          Kate Regan                                                      Castle comer
               Martin P H + Dorothy Oman                                                        Walker
                 Brian H + Norma Mitford                                                           Walker
                  Graeme H + Lesley J Robertson                                                Scotland
                     Cameron H                                                                           Scotland

Offline Ger Heth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 January 15 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cameron,
I did quite a bit of research a couple of years back to try and connect John & Kate Hetherington to my side of the Hetherington family in Castlecomer. I haven't managed to make the connection yet. It's possible that George Hetherington my Great Great Grandfather (b 1817) was the brother of John Hetherington (b 1827) who married Margaret Kearney. John's trade was a plasterer according to his death certificate. Almost all of the male Hetheringtons on my side of the family were plasterers. So the connection is possible but not yet confirmed.
Regards,
Ger Hetheriongton

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 January 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
There are Hetherington families in Mountrath Co Laois.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 June 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
Just noticed this has been posted in again.  Hi Cameron, good to see another relative, your dad and I are second-cousins.  If you get back online again, I can give you some more info.

Hoping to get further back on this line once the NLI release the digitised parish records next month.  In the meantime, does anyone know where someone is likely to have been buried if they died in Knocknadogue?  I traced the deaths of John's in-laws, Patrick and Anne Regan, and they were from there.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 June 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Knocknadogue is in the civil parish of Dysart and that civil parish is included in the RC parishes of Castlecomer and Muckalee, according to the Ancestors part of the Irish Times website. According to the index of townlands in 1901 on www.irishancestors.ie (you find it under "Resources" and then "Unique resources" on the site) Knocknadogue (or Knocknaddoge as the website has it) is in the district electoral division of Castlecomer rather than Muckalee so I imagine you need to look for the burial in Castlecomer RC parish.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 June 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
Does Knocknadogue have its own graveyard or would I be looking specifically in Castlecomer itself?  I know Smithstown has its own graveyard and that's very much in the vicinity.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 June 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/catholic/catholic_parishes.htm

This link states that Knocknadogue became part of Castlecomer RC parish in 1873. Knocknadogue had been part of Muckalee Parish up to then.

There is an old graveyard at Dysert Bridge, but I dont have details of when it was in use.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
John's death in 1864 is possible.  The last child we definitely know was his and Margaret Kearney's was Richard, born 10 July 1863.  However, if Anne born 4 February 1865 was the child of John and Margaret rather than John and Anne Kearney, as it is recorded, then there is uncertainty.  There was at least one other John around Castlecomer at the time.  He was married to Mary Curry and they had a son John in April 1850.  John was a common name among the Hetheringtons.  Unfortunately, the IFHF Kilkenny records have no baptismal records for Johns in the 1820s - indeed, none before 1840 that I can find.
Margaret Brien at 72 in 1900 could be the correct person.  At the least, it would explain the absence in the 1901 census.  The record implies birth in 1827 or 1828.  IFHF has baptismal records for three Margaret Carneys in the 1820s - in 1822, 1827 and 1829.  The latter two look like good possibilities. I haven't checked them but, if either had a father named Martin, it would tie it up.  Birth in 1827 or 1829 would mean Margaret was a good deal older than Patrick O'Brien when she married him in 1874 - 45 or 47 versus his 33, a big but not impossible age gap. 
I've been on the new NLI website and have found a possible Margaret Kearney in the Paulstown parish register.  Paulstown is about 12 miles away from Castlecomer according to Googlemaps.  Parents stated to be Martin Kearney and Bridget Dooley.  Her age is borderline though.  If she is the one we're looking for, then she would have been about a fortnight off her 17th birthday when Martin Hetherington was born in 1852, with John 7-8 years older than her.  Still can't find a marriage.