Author Topic: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)  (Read 27465 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 20 September 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
Silverhawk
As I'm sure you found out, the two birth records for Margaret Carney in the late 1820s that I mention back in 2012 were not the correct ones since neither showed Martin as her father's name.  The 1835 record seems to be the only plausible one but in the absence of a marriage record that would corroborate her birth year and/or the Paulstown address there is no way to be sure.  Margaret born in 1835 had siblings but none of them turns up as sponsors for the children she had with John Hetherington.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 20 September 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Even if we found the marriage record, I don't know if it would be any help regarding the age.  All the 19th century marriage records I've looked at so far for Ireland haven't recorded the ages of either person :(
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 21 September 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Found this tonight on Trove, the Australian newspaper archive website.  It's from 1940.  I'm wondering if he fits into the family somewhere, however I can't find any other John Hetheringtons born in the county circa the 1860s, only mine :-\
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
I think it pretty unlikely that John in the press cutting is the son of Margaret Kearney and John Hetherington since they had at least one other child born in Ireland after 1860 and Margaret remarried in Ireland after John's death.  This is not compatible with John junior having gone to Australia at one year of age.  Moreover, there is no record of Margaret and John having had a son named George.  The fact that no other John Hetherington shows up in the birth/baptismal records in the 1860s  may simply be down to the records being incomplete.  I think there are Australian records for arrivals at various ports on findmypast which might help to establish who the parents of a one-year old immigrant John Hetherington were.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
I never thought it was since John is my great-grandfather and I know where he went ;D  I just thought this John might be a cousin like Ger Heth's family probably are.  I suspect that the Kilkenny Hetheringtons all tie in together somewhere along the line, possibly from a single Hetherington in the 18th century.  Although proving it's another matter :-\

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my mistake.  I read your post too fast.  I think you're right that the Kilkenny Hetheringtons - most especially the Castlecomer ones - must be related.  The problem is that the available records don't let us link them up.  The lack of parents names in early 19th century marriage records is a real pain in that regard.