Author Topic: Anyone searching FEWINGS of Devon  (Read 27961 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anyone searching FEWINGS of Devon
« on: Sunday 23 October 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
Help!! :D

Is anyone researching the Fewings/Fewins name in Devon? Years ago there used to be a group of Fewings descendent's that kept in touch through a newsletter. I would love to hear from anyone looking for the Fewings name to share a few ideas or even exchange information.

Margaret :)

Offline Nicola

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone searching Fewings of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Magaret

My best friend was a Fewings. She lives in Somerset and has several sisters and a brother. Her father came from a large family, maybe children from 2 different fathers.

Good luck with your search.
Regards, Nicola.
Northam, Billing(s), Trickey, Sprague, Woodbury, Hallett, Pike, Stamp, Hart All Devon Somerset area.
 Hastie, Tait, Clark, Bryson, Edminson, Burgon,  Dickson, Adamson, Hendry, JeffreyAll Berwick area.
Archer, Purdy, Pitts, Grooms, Lomax, Smith, Poulton, Luddington, Daniels, Atkinson all Tottenham area

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Has your friend ever tried tracing her family tree? There were a lot of Fewings tracing their ancestors a few years ago but I seldom find anyone looking now.

Regards

Margaret

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I have some Fewings in my tree. John Fewings b 1775 in Sampford Courtney, married Ann Stanbury in Hatherleigh Parish Church in 1813. There are four baptisms recorded in Hatherleigh with John and Ann as the parents. My particular link is with daughter Elizabeth b 1814.

Regards

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I am looking for the birth or parents of John Fewins/Fewings who married Ann Styles in Creacombe in 1828. It has taken me 20 years to get this far and I have now hit the proverbial brick wall. I know Ann was born in Morebath but John died sometime between 1832 and 1839 and so far I can't find when or where he died and can't even attempt a guess at his age when he married. In 1839 Ann had a son called Nathaniel Fewings and says she is a widow. On familysearch there is a christening of a Nathaniel Dart Fewings the same date and place so I am presuming that it is the same child.

The strange thing is she re-married a Nathaniel Davey so I think that the child was his and not John's.

Do you know if your John had a child called John? I know I am clutching at straws but I don't know where to look next.

Regards

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret

I had to find out where Creacombe and Morebath were and they are a little way away from the area where my Fewings/Fewins are, but as everyone seemed to move around who knows there may be a connection. There were certainly quite a lot in the Mid Devon area where mine come from. Since Creacombe births are on the IGI system one may have expected to find some more Fewins listed, disappointing to just find Nataniel.
I think my John Fewins did have a son called John but he was baptised in 1818.

It may be interesting to find out where the name of Dart came from in Nathaniel's name just in case it is from the Fewins side. A lot of my Fewins seemed to have Angell in their names. One day I may find where that has come from.

Regards

Sue

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 05 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for replying. The only reference to the name Dart I can think of is that Creacombe is on the river Dart. No!don't even go there I had already thought of that link!!! :o

I think I maybe able to help you. A few years ago someone contacted me about the Angell/Fewings name and I found that an Angell had married a Fewings but for the life of me I can't find the reference and I normally keep everything to do with the Fewings name just in case. I do know that some of my Fewings used the mother's maiden name as a middle name. If I do come across the link I will let you know but I am almost sure I saw it on the IGI and then a census return.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 November 05 09:10 GMT (UK) »

A lot of my Fewins seemed to have Angell in their names. One day I may find where that has come from.

Well hello there cousin! :)  John Angell Fewings is my great great great grandfather!  He married Jane Alford 3 Jun 1838 in Monk Okehampton - I just got the marriage certificate last weekend.  Their daughter Mary married Frederick Waycott, and their son William Waycott was my father's father's father.

John Angell Fewings is the son of John Fewin(g)s and Ann Stanbury, married 26 Sep 1813 in Hatherleigh.  Ann Stanbury is the daughter of Peter Stanbury and Ann Angell, married 20 Sep 1781 also in Hatherleigh.  All this is on the IGI, but I've got a lot more if you'd like to compare notes.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Maureen   
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 November 05 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maureeen

Thank you for making contact. My contact with the Fewings family is through John Fewings and Ann Stanbury's daughter Elizabeth. She married Richard Pawley in Hatherleigh in 1835. All the males born to this couple had Angell included in their forenames.

I had found the marriage between Peter Stanbury and Ann Angell so did wonder if this was the link with the Angell family. I have a number of little DFHS booklets and had found the marriage included in a Hatherleigh booklet. I would be very pleased to receive more information on the Fewings and can fill you in on Elizabeth Fewings family. I have had some information from the On Line parish clerk for Hatherleigh but with my family originating in the area and my husbands family also came from that area I fell that I cannot keep on asking.

Regards

Sue Stoneman