Author Topic: Charlotte SMITH - help please  (Read 3760 times)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charlotte SMITH - help please
« on: Monday 24 October 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping for some advice which will help me find details of the birth/christening of my gg grandmother and information about her parents.

This is the information I have so far:-

Her name was Charlotte SMITH, born circa 1841 in Ponsanooth, Cornwall. (Confirmed by her marriage cert. to Thomas HODGE in Penwerris district church in April 1860 and by later census data - firstly in Budock and then from 1871 when they had moved to Liverpool.)

I know from the 1861 and 1871 census data that she had a sister Catharine, born circa 1844.

Her marriage cert. confirms that Charlotte's  father's name was George SMITH, a labourer. 

I have been unable to find any matching details of her birth or baptism or that of her sister.

The only match I have found for the 1861 Cornwall census is for a Charlotte SMITH and a Catherine SMITH of the right ages in the St. Austell Workhouse, listed as paupers.

Any suggestions please as to where I look next for further details of this family.?

BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte SMITH - help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 05 19:02 BST (UK) »
One way would be to check the workhouse records - note that freebmd is not complete yet and some birth records for 1840/1841 are currently missing, so that might be where they're hiding.  Or Charlotte was a middle name, maybe? (I presume the workhouse census was for 1851, not 1861?  Any other Smiths in the workhouse in 1851?  I would expect their mother would also be in unless she had passed away, but as families were often seperated she might be on a seperate page.

Also if they were illegitimate (one of my ancestors, a young widow, had two illegitimate children by the same man, spaced three years apart), they might be listed under a different surname.  Was Catherine also b. Ponsanooth?

There are no Smiths in Ponsanooth in the 1841 census (it is a village in St. Gluvias), but in 1851 there are:

Jane Smith, visitor in the house of Edward Martin, a gunpowder maker, aged 37, unmarried, and
Emily Jane Smith, visitor, aged 1, presumably her illegitimate daughter. (they were b. Cambourne)

also

Mary Smith, lodger, 26, unmarried, in the house of Walter Hill, 76, and Jane Hill, 74.  (she was b. Wendron)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 05 19:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes I did mean that a Charlotte and Catherine SMITH were in the St Austell workhouse in 1851 rather than 61.

Many thanks for all those suggestions - you have given me plenty to think about and follow up!

thanks for your help
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Offline Ged Hodge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Charlotte Smith as Charlotte Hodge is my GG Grandmother. I have only relatively recently started researching my family history so if I find any relevant information for you I shall pass it on.

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Charlotte Smith as Charlotte Hodge is my GG Grandmother. I have only relatively recently started researching my family history so if I find any relevant information for you I shall pass it on.

Hi Ged. Only just seen your post! We have been in touch in the past of course but I have just returned to tackle this particular brick wall again - so far with no success.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has a Catharine Smith Birth Reg Dec 1843 Redruth
New GRO Index has no Mothers mn noted so she is illeg.

I also noticed a William Smith was a Witness to the 1860 Marriage of Charlotte/Thomas.

Sorry not much help ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I had noticed that possible birth for Catharine and think I will order the certificate to see where it takes me (or not!). I have wondered in the past if William Smith might be a brother or cousin to Charlotte and Catherine so I think I will have another look at him as a possible lead.

Thanks again
Kelly

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
hi Kelly,
If you get the B/C let us know what it contains :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I've now received a copy of the birth certificate for Catherine SMITH born 12 Oct 1843. Her mother was Jane SMITH of Ponsanooth with no father named. I really think that this may be my 3rd great aunt sister to my 2nd great grandmother, Charlotte SMITH. Both girls give their place of birth as Ponsanooth in the 1861 census and in the 1851 census in the St Austell workhouse their birthplace is listed as Penryn. Not sure where to go with information next though!