Author Topic: Writing Family Narratives - how do you do it?  (Read 25351 times)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Writing Family Narratives - how do you do it?
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've been struggling with the many pieces of paper, Word documents, online sources, bits and pieces people have emailed me etc and all that 'stuff' we all collect  for ages and have finally started to try to pull it all together and 'make sense' of some of my main families in some form of narrative style from the research I've done so far ...

I decided to start with my Freiensener families.  I tried to do it by individual families, that didn't work, tried doing it by individual and that didn't workand went finally for a chronological(ish) style but what a trial trying to fit everything in and try to make it sound logical, it's taken me days to write about two pages and it's still all messy and convoluted, bits missed out, bits I don't know where to put ...  ::)

Here's my first - very flawed - dabble http://webb-erickson.rootschat.net/freiensener_family.htm

Any ideas on how you've done it would be great as i'm hoping eventually to do a narrative for all my 'main' families or those I know enough about.

p.s. I hope the photos pop up properly  ;D

Cheers
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Family Narratives - how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Biker

That looks OK to me.  It's similar to "what I wrote" about my family.  Mine is not on the net but in Word.  For the sake of clarity I wrote a general bit about the family then I did individual families on seperate pages with a little tree at the top.  I just worked in time order.  As my main family didn't go back too far I added things that were happening at the time, ie relief of Maffeking, Queen Victorias death etc.  I add facts as I find them.  I did start about 10 years ago so I didn't know a great deal then.  Definately best to start early.

I really don't know if my rellies like it or understand it.  No-one has commented.  It is set out that way now and I can't be bothered to change it all.

See what others say.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Biker,

I find that your write up is excellent and the photos do pop up. I was interested to read it as I am in the same situation i.e got to the point where I must collate everything and get rid of all the notes and scraps of paper etc.

One thing I am never to sure about. When you have discovered your family history from the Census records and any other titbits of info. is it worth recording these in any write up or just take it as fact and part of your own learning curve. In some cases that is the only info. I have on certain family lines.

You have an interesting family history with a lot of historical input. I sometimes find mine is a bit dull coming from Ag Lab/Shoemakers/Dressmakers etc, so it is difficullt to write up a good family narrative.

One of these days I will make a start but in the meantime congratulations on your write-up.
                                                     Regards
                                                               Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Biker

Haven't read yours yet - praise later! - but I stored these against the day that I would start my own writing project:

http://www.familychronicle.com/fitzhugh.htm

http://www.genealogyforum.rootsweb.com/gfaol/reunion/WriteHist.htm

http://www.aagsnc.org/articles/writing.htm

Hope you find them interesting

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback.  Glad the photos work!

Sylviaann - yes I think the social context is important, I'm going to work on that bit some more.

Geoff - I know what you mean about recording sources, but I did kind of try that and it made it very cumbersome and I think detracted from the 'story'.  I guess they could be put in as footnotes?  Or maybe not do that at all as that info is actually recorded on my master files (not on website).  On some of my families I only have census data and some certs too, so a bit more of a challenge but nevertheless interesting ....  This is probably one of more interesting families especially as they are all related too.  But I have more than enough of General Dealers, Ag Labs Shoemakers and the like  ;D

Arranroots - yes I did read some web guides but frankly I found them quite daunting so skimmed - so much like me not to do things thoroughly  ;D but thanks for pointing them out, I'll have another skim before I do any more ...

Thanks again folks
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Biker

Just noticed this thread, linked from Bob's summary at the top of this Board. The description of the bits of paper, etc. made me laugh - you should see my collections  ::) ::) ::)

Yours is looking good - Sarah Ann seems quite a character.

I've written up half of my lines, then re-written, then found some more, then re-written, etc.  The cousins who have them think they're fine and are pleased that they have a rellie to do the hard work  ;) I'm not satisfied. I feel they should be more chatty in style - but how?

Putting the life stories up on the web is even worse - I think I've  got writer's block. Maybe collecting together the odd bits that I've put up on RC might be a solution - kind of post-modern narrative  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:33 BST (UK) »
My family narrative is my website  OR  my website is my family narrative

Although web-based, most of it can also be printed as a reasonable semblance of a book.

I have taken my daughter's 4 grandparents as the main family groups and then used the following structure for each family:
  • "Family" home page:  short description (still working on most of these)
  • various "chapters"/pages about different aspects of the families, including census info., and even the search for information
  • Biographies of various family members
  • photos

I also have a basic structure for the biographies:
  • Born .... with cert. thumbnail, if I have the cert.
  • Died... (thumbnail cert., as above)
  • Parents ...
  • Siblings ...
  • Spouse (thumbnail cert., as above)
  • Children...
  • If applicable, Spouse 2, Children, etc
  • Biography
All with photos, where available

The biggest problem ist decide whether biographical details go on the individual biography pages, or on the family pages. 

However, as this is a "work in progress" (aren't they all ? ;D ) I don't worry too much about that, I can always change it.

I have found that by having this structure, I can add snippets at any time:
- For instance, after queries on RootsChat I can add more here and there:
some of the articles are, in fact, summaries of the contents of the topic.
For the web version I sometimes incliude a link to the RootsChat topic.

- for instance: I see a snippet of info on the web. I add that, as  a snippet, to the relevant page, and every so often, I re-write the page so that it looks more homogeneous.

One point for those just starting:
I spent a lot of time agonising about the "best" way of doing it, but I found that once I had something written down, it was much easier to decide later, that I wanted to have it differently. Usind word processors and text-editors makes a re-think so much easier, as the "content" is already there, it's usually just a question of moving blocks of text around, and adding a sentence or two, till you are happy (or happier) with it.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Biker,

I find that your write up is excellent and the photos do pop up. I was interested to read it as I am in the same situation i.e got to the point where I must collate everything and get rid of all the notes and scraps of paper etc.

One thing I am never to sure about. When you have discovered your family history from the Census records and any other titbits of info. is it worth recording these in any write up or just take it as fact and part of your own learning curve. In some cases that is the only info. I have on certain family lines.

You have an interesting family history with a lot of historical input. I sometimes find mine is a bit dull coming from Ag Lab/Shoemakers/Dressmakers etc, so it is difficullt to write up a good family narrative.

One of these days I will make a start but in the meantime congratulations on your write-up.
                                                     Regards
                                                               Geoff

I agree Geoff, some of my 'characters' are boring, just census returns and bmd details.  What I have started to do is to write up all these details plus any extra I get for certain people on my tree, for instance Jonathan Harmer who devised a way of adding terracotta reliefs to local gravestones in local graveyards.  I will add to these biographies as I gain more information about others.

I have also decided to concentrate on local history of some of the villages and towns involved in my families tree.

However I have no doubt that further down the line as I investigate further and find more information it will all completely change.

Did someone mention a work in progress!  ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Read your bit on this   :)

My problem is that I've written masses - but it feels stilted to me. I'd like it to be chatty but the dates and bare facts get in the way.

It's not that I'm unused to publishing - I have written a few academic books and papers and even one or two on family history. It's just that I'm so conscious of doing justice to my ancestors in what I write! It's the hardest thing I've had to write in 35 years of writing for publication  :-\

I want to give them a context - their work, their social lives, their communities, their interests, their houses, etc. Without these people, I wouldn't be here. They were once alive like me and I can't reduce them to just outline census and BMD facts. Where I have letters and documents, they come alive but for most they are just names on records. I've read masses on  social/cultural history of their times - and continue to do so.

I know that I can change it and add to it - but how often do these sites get really changed. Once it's up, it's there  :-\

Lots of points to answer here..............

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***