Author Topic: Stevens/Brighty of Ramsey  (Read 12251 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Stevens/Brighty of Ramsey
« on: Friday 14 July 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Anyone know why my family should have used both surnames, apparently randomly, in the first half of 19th Century?  Eventually settled on Stevens using Brighty as a forename, probably as a safeguard!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens/Brighty of Ramsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Hi Selina

If you'd give us a bit more information and tell us who you're looking for, their parents names, their age, and were born, we can try and find out for you.

;D ;D ;D

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 06 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

According to his ages in the Censi and at death Barnabas Brighty/Stevens was born between 1794 and 1797, Ramsey, Hunts.  I can't find a baptism.

He married as Stevens in 1827.  In 1828, 1840 and 1841 still Stevens.
1850 and 1851 Brighty.  1859 signed as Brighty Stevens.  1861 Brighty.
1866 Death Cert. Stevens, his entry in burial reg. Brighty. 
His widow used Brighty in 1881 and she is Brighty in burial reg. 1886.
Sons used either name but after 1886 appeared to settle on Stevens using Brighty as a second Christian name.   One daughter still Brighty in the 1901 Census.

There was a farmer in the area at the right time called Barnabas Brighty
who had many children but does not appear to have a legitimate son named Barnabas.  My best guess so far is that my Barnabas may have been his illegitimate child.

Any other ideas?

Offline THJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina,

I noticed that you were looking for Information about Barnabas Brighty of Ramsey. I am related to him via the marriage of his sister, Elizabeth to John Palmer, dairyman of Ramsey Fortyfoot. John Palmer was my 5xggrandfather.

I have the will of Barnabas Brighty proved in 1814 which mentions Barnabas Stevens.

He requests that his executors invest money to allow £10 per year to

'Barnabas Stevens, son of Alice Stevens now wife of  [blank] Stevens late of Ramsey but now a private soldier'

A further amounts are to be paid to Barnabas Stevens later in life by the exors.

The will is available via the NA website , but I'll gladly send the bit that mentions Barnabas.

The reason for his support of the boy isn't clear, but I suspect a payoff for a spot of misbehaviour!!!

Terry Haslam-Jones
Rossendale
Lancashire

Offline triciamarketing

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Have you actually managed to out together the brighty tree yet.
I have Barnabus Bright in my tree , he married jane slack  and their daughter Anna was my great grandmother. I would appreciate any information that you have.

Thanks tricia

Offline Slippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 08 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have been puzzled by the Brighty/Stevens confusion too. I am descended from Alice Stevens and John Richardson. If anyone can give me more information I would be most grateful.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 March 08 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slippers,

Who were the parents of your Alice Stevens, and what sort of date etc?  Was she from Ramsey?

I can't see a Richardson on my tree but I have to go back to some of the earlier stuff as there is more information available since I last updated this family.

Selina

Offline Slippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 March 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Alice's parents were Barnabas B Stevens born abt 1795 and Kezia(h) Hollis. Alice married John Richardson, the son of Frederic Richardson and Rachel Maycock. Fred was born in Whittlesey, John was born in Ramsey.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Stephen.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 March 08 12:51 GMT (UK) »

OK!  I have that Alice but nothing on her apart from she was born circa 1833. 

I do have information on Barnabas and Keziah and also some of the siblings of Alice.

We are connected via the brother of Alice, John Brighty Stevens who married Mary Ann Smith.

Selina