Author Topic: William BENTON - born c1810, Edinburgh  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Derek_Benton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BENTON - born c1810, Edinburgh
« on: Wednesday 16 August 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm trying to find details of baptism for a son of one of my ancestors.
His name was William BENTON and the 1841-1851 census shows him as being born around 1810 in New Town, Edinburgh. He died in Lichfield in 1859, aged 49.....His brother, Joseph BENTON, was born 1815 in Newcastle, Staffordshire.

Their parents were William BENTON, a soldier, and Elizabeth (nee COOK).  They were married in Newcastle, Staffordshire in 1800.

So, looks like they must have been in Scotland for a while after marrying then moved back to Newcastle...

any help would be most appreciated...

Derek..

Offline Derek_Benton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William BENTON - born c1810, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 07 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I've managed to find out another snippet of info about this William BENTON (b1810). His father, also called William, was in the 1st Dragoon Guards and stationed in Piershill Barracks between 1809-1810 which was where his son was born.
Does anyone know where I may be able to find baptism records for people born in military barracks at all please? 
Cheers
Derek..

Offline nic42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 07 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,
I have been trying to track Staffs Bentons and run my own data base. I have both your Williams and have a John Benton 1753 married to Mary Baker as the grandfather. The source is IGI so I take with a pinch of salt. Can you shed any light?
regards Nic

Offline Derek_Benton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nic,
I've seen the baptism for William BENTON (18/03/1781, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Staffs) to John BENTON and Mary BAKER on the IGI but I can't be 100% sure that this is the one. 

I've been to the National Archives and looked through the very meagre records that are left with any details of him and found his details there which showed he enlisted in the First Dragoon Guards on 25th Nov 1799 and later died at the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815.

The documents listed him as being born in Ridgley, Staffs (which I assume to be a variant of present-day Rugeley, Staffs). My dilema is that Rugeley is just over 10km north of Cheslyn Hay, so I can't confirm if the 1781 baptsim is my ancestor or not.   I know that there were also baptisms registered in Rugeley that aren't on the IGI yet so perhaps something will come up following a visit to the staffs archives some time....

If you want I'd be happy to share my BENTON ancestral file with you. I've lots from William (c1781) downwards....

my email address is: *(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

regards, Derek.