Author Topic: Prosecuted for Fraudulent Entry ( Navy)  (Read 981 times)

Offline Peppie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prosecuted for Fraudulent Entry ( Navy)
« on: Sunday 19 November 06 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I hope that you good people might help please?

On the attached record Thomas was prosecuted for fraudulent entry into the Navy.

I'm guessing HL ( in his sentence)  means Hard Labour, but what does CP mean? Crown Prosecution??

And where would I possibly, be able to track down some information as to what the fraud was?

(I have his Army records and he twice joined up using a false surname so I'm guessing it might be along these lines.)

Many thanks

Sharon
Dean - Bedford &Wolverhampton
Fensom - Ravensden & Bedford
Brady - Cavan, Ireland
Peppard - Dublin, Ireland
Demetriou - Greece
Bowyer- London
McCann- Belfast

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Prosecuted for Fraudulent Entry ( Navy)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I cannot see it being Crown Pros back that far, but is possibly Court Proceedings.
I cannot see the Navy being that fussy about who joined up back then, so I am wondering if it was perhaps discovered that he was an Army deserter!!!

Might be worth checking the Portsmouth papers for Nov 1896 to see if there is anything in them about the case.

I see he was a Stoker at Victory 11 which puts him in Portsmouth and in the Dec of 96 they got back £3 . 9 shillings and 5 pence of his clothing and bedding allowance.

Good luck
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 06 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Sharon,

'C.P.' means Civil Power. He was prosecuted by the magistrates rather than his commanding officer.

regards
Leofric

Offline Peppie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Salty and Leofric,

Thank you for your input.

I found Thomas last night on the 1891 census on board the training ship Exmouth. So I am going to have to try the LMA to see what sort of records they have for it.

He joined the army under assumed names twice once in 1897 under the surname White, and found out some how when he was in Camp Rookee in India, and signed a delaration in 1902 .  Transferred into the reserve in Jan 1905...... He then joined up again ( July 1905) under the surname Martin and got caught again...... in October but was exempt from trial.

I'm lucky that I have found his records both in the burnt and unburnt sections in Kew. ( all with the names he used! they must have had some good detectives in the forces or he was having a drink or two, which was normal for him looking at his army records).  He also never mentioned other service on either of his Attestation papers in the Army.

And I'm now wondering what he did when joining up first time and if there may be another record in the navy section online in Kew that is him again and they just gave him a page again with his real name.

He's really intregued me and I want to find out more if I can.

Thanks again!

Sharon
Dean - Bedford &Wolverhampton
Fensom - Ravensden & Bedford
Brady - Cavan, Ireland
Peppard - Dublin, Ireland
Demetriou - Greece
Bowyer- London
McCann- Belfast