Author Topic: Irish/Scottish ancestry combined?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline kwr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Irish/Scottish ancestry combined?
« on: Monday 11 June 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this - first time I've posted so apologies if I do not make myself clear. I have several questions.
The IGI has a marriage between Hugh Caffie and Elizabeth Davidson on Dec. 11, 1856 at Kelton Kirkcudbrightshire. Scotlandspeople confirm the marriage, though put the date as Dec. 14th. neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. I can find Hugh in every census afterwards but NOT with an Irish county of birth....

Father of the groom is Samuel Caffie and mother is Agnes Hastings.
Father of the bride is Thomas Davidson, mother Jane Gerrat.

I can find no trace of Samuel Caffie in the 1841 Scottish census nor of  his son Hugh. I presume then that he does not go to Scotland as his son does some time before 1856. In the IGI there is ONE reference to the birth of a Samuel Cafey 22 June 1800. His father is down as James Cafey. I can find no other details. So first question. How common is Caffey or Cafie or Cafey as an Irish name? I'd like to think that there is a link between  James, Samuel and Hugh but...there are Caffreys and other variations aren't there? In addition I have a supplementary question....

The IGI reference to Samuel's birthday is as follows:- Date is as above, 22 June 1800 followed by
Presbyterian, Kirkcubbin, Down, Ireland. This is my first Irish ancestor so does it mean he is a Presbyterian or what?

Thomas Davidson on the other hand IS born in Ireland and arrives in Scotland and marries Jane Gerrat some years before the Famine. Though I can trace him via the census from 1841 through to 1871 I can find no marriage even though Jane Gerrat is born in Kelton. Nor does the census ever say where he was born in Ireland. Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can find his birthplace in Ireland? There are a number of candidates and they mostly hale from Antrim or Down. Also how likely is it that Jean Gerrat married him in Ireland? Was there a lot of traffic BOTH ways? I've always assumed it was mostly from Ireland....

Sorry to have inflicted such a long post on members. Just hope you can help.

Cuthbert, Roberts (Sefton. Bootle, Liverpool, St. Pancras), Burbage, Dodd.
Allison (Scotland, pre 1861) (Liverpool post 1860),
Gerrat, Davidson, Caffey, McCourt, McDill, Ireland +Scotland. Ballard, Mayman,
 Pletts, Shield, Pattison, Patteson, Johnston(Cumberland).
Thorp(e), Jacobson, Bond, Parry, Gaskill (Liverpool, Denmark), Moar, Hanaeus,Ilett
Simmons, Pritchard, Cherrington (Shropshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish/Scottish ancestry combined?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi kwr

This is really a reply to the Thomas Davidson part of your query.

If he died in Scotland after 1871,  his death certificate should give the name of his parents. There are 2 possibles  on Scotlands People - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - one in 1888, Kirkcudbright, aged 79 and on in 1889, Urr, aged 68. This would also apply to Jane.

Regards

Gadget,

Added - I see from the 1871 that he was born circa 1801, so these don't look like him  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
He is also on the 1881 Census

2 Back Marle Street, Castle Douglas, Kelton.  District  869 ED 2 Page 14

Thomas, Davidson, 77, general labourer, b. Ireland
Jane Davidson, 70, b. Kelton
James McCann, 60, boarder, general labourer, b. Ireland

Neither Jane nor Thomas appear to be on the 1891, so I'm assuming death dates of 1881-1891.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kwr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 11:14 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

Thank you for some useful information in both replies. I didn't have the 1881 details so they will add to what I have. I also didn't know that after 1871 the parents of the deceased are on the certficate. As I'm sending for Hugh Caffie's it will confirm (one hopes) what I think I know.

Re. the two possibilities for William Davidson's death certificate I prefer the first as the county is right. The year is less important as I have census material on him which suggests not only 1800 but also 1806 and 1811 so I think the person reporting the death would provide a guesstimate.

Now to try another post on my other Scottish ancestor who also married but this time he was the Scot and she Irish....I suppose it should go on the Scottish General - I seem to have made the wrong coice of category with this one.
Cuthbert, Roberts (Sefton. Bootle, Liverpool, St. Pancras), Burbage, Dodd.
Allison (Scotland, pre 1861) (Liverpool post 1860),
Gerrat, Davidson, Caffey, McCourt, McDill, Ireland +Scotland. Ballard, Mayman,
 Pletts, Shield, Pattison, Patteson, Johnston(Cumberland).
Thorp(e), Jacobson, Bond, Parry, Gaskill (Liverpool, Denmark), Moar, Hanaeus,Ilett
Simmons, Pritchard, Cherrington (Shropshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi kwr  :)

Firstly, I apologise for not welcoming you to Rootschat in my first reply :-[ A big welcome now  :D

Don't worry about your choice of Boards, Mods will move them if necessary  :)

I think the query you have posted here maybe a bit too detailed in that it covers various aspects of your tree, in Ireland and Scotland. You could put the 'Irish bit' on the Irish board and the Scottish bits on an appropriate Scottish Board, linking them to each other with their web address.

This can be found by clicking on the subject heading at the top of your message thread. You will then find that an address comes up in the address bar on your browser. Copy this and paste it into the other thread, thus linking them.

I'm not sure if this is clear at all  ??? I hope so.

Anyway, Good Luck and keep asking the questions  :)

Also,  Scottish registration started in Jan 1855 so all marriage and death certs from then usually give parents' names. Births, of course, do as well. They are wonderful compared with the Eng and Wales offerings.  When I  said 1871, I had noticed that you had him on the census then, so he must have died after that date. i should have been more clear :-\

Regards

Gadget  :)