Author Topic: Thomas Dorian - Elizabeth Campell  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Dorian - Elizabeth Campell
« on: Sunday 13 January 08 13:55 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit of a long shot -

My gg-grandfather was a Thomas Dorian, born in Ireland about 1813.
His wife was Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of John Campbell and Ann ?. she was born about 1817.

Thomas and Elizabeth were married about 1829, and had 5 children - Agnes Ann (my g-grandmother), John, Charles, Thomas and Mary. 

Agnes Ann was born in Ireland about 1840
John was born in Ireland about 1843
Charles was born in Letterkenny, Ireland on 13 Feb 1846
Thomas was born in Stonehaven, Scotland in 1851
Mary was born in Stonehaven, Scotland in 1853

I'm assuming that Thomas must have died between 1853 & 1855 in Scotland as there is no record of his death that I can find on Scotlandspeople.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to find out any more information on Thomas, Elizabeth and their parents in Ireland.

I also wonder if it would be possible to find out when and how the arrived in Aberdeen and Stonehaven, Scotland.

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dorian - Elizabeth Campell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 08 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths nd Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for Protestant marriages) all too late for what you are hoping to find.
For earlier information you need to search for church records (if they still exist). To do so you need to know what religion the family were and where they lived (parish if not townland not just county).
It is more than likely that you will find more information in Scottish records than in Ireland. Have you tried tracing all of the children?- records like death certificates may give some clues.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dorian - Elizabeth Campell
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 08 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I know it's not much to go on, but I'm just wondering what are the chances of success.

I've had a good search of the Scottish records, but unfortunately they weren't very good at recording details in the mid 1800's.  The census records simply say "Ireland" in the place of birth for example.  Makes it all a bit hard !

I think they were of the Protestant faith, but I don't really know.  They could have changed when they came to Scotland, but possibly not!

Doesn't look like I'm going to get very far, does it?
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner