Author Topic: Where is North Yarmouth Norfolk  (Read 4066 times)

Offline EdwardF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is North Yarmouth Norfolk
« on: Friday 31 October 08 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for North Yarmouth where my ancestor John Julius is said to come from.
I can only find references to it in the 18thC as follows.
"Robert Boldery, formerly of Golderftone near North Yarmouth in the County of Norfolk, late of Rotterdam in Holland Nurfery and Seedfman"
London Gazette 2 Mar 1779
"Laft Friday a Mr Littler, a Gentleman concerned in the herring fifhery, was returning from Colchefter to North Yarmouth, he was robbed by a fingle Highwayman on the Common near Henton Street, of a confiderable Sum of Money and his Watch
1749"
"All the naval watchposts along the coast from Sheerness to North Yarmouth have now night signals by torches and reflectors"
London Gazette Dec 1800
Can anyone help?
EdwardF

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is North Yarmouth Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Edward!  :)

North Yarmouth is not a specific area, but is simply the northern part of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

I'll look more into your ancestor.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi EdwardF

I would have thought that he was on about Great Yarmouth, and Golderftone, could well be Gorlestone on Sea, which is next to Great Yarmouth ??? ???

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Ricky - Golderstone is very likely to be Gorleston. :)

The area was settled by the Dutch - a couple of old buildings in Yarmouth are in the Dutch style.

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdwardF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 08 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your information meles & ricky1, this is the first time I have used Roots Chat.
This is the MS clue I have been pursuing re John Julius:
"John Julius of North Yarmouth a planter,
Petitioner to the King and Council 1688.
Petitioner for divers years an inhabitant of St Kitts until the French took his whole estate, but not withstanding, that said Island is again surrended to the English. Prays leave to transport himself, wife and family, and 150 in goods from London to Middlesborough where a passage offers for said Island".
Would appreciate hearing should you come across any reference to him
Thanks again