Author Topic: Emigrants to Gilbert Islands, South Pacific  (Read 12440 times)

Offline Telefunu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to Gilbert Islands, South Pacific
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 05:58 GMT (UK) »
hello i am one of the descendants of the second marriage of Robert Corrie, his son James married a lady in the Torres Strait islands herself being of Niuean and Rotoman origin we all live in north queensland, some of the family live in Cairns and we live here in Mackay Queensland.

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I have some neighbours who come from Kiribas, there is a small community from the island and Tuvala here in Warkworth, there children attend the local primary school and college. If you have any specific enquiries I could ask them for information. It is my understanding that some of themcome to NZ on special work permits and are only here for short periods and return when there working contracts expire.

Alan NZ.
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 January 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all

I have been reading these posts on Robert David Corrie with great interest as I too would like to find out about his marriages and children. My husband is descended from his mother's sister, Isabella Bissett Dawson.

All I know about Robert is that his Gilbert Island Cutter went missing at sea in May 1915 along with his wife and two children plus several natives - this was reported in the Evening Post on 14 October 1915.

I have found a death registration for a daughter, Frances Elizabeth Corrie in the NSW BDM's. She is buried with her grandmother, Elizabeth Corrie nee Dawson at Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney and was 8 years of age when she died. There are two registrations of her death in 1882 - mother's name on one is Rhoda and on the other Catera. Does anyone know which is corret?

Can anyone tell me the names of his wives and children?

R.
Smealls - Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Williamsonson - Dunfermline, Scotland
Della Vedova - Tirano and surrounding villages, Italy
Maganetti - Tirano, Italy

Offline Maeri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 05:03 BST (UK) »
Robert David Corrie went to the Gilbert Islands c. 1859.
He married twice to native ladies (his first wife dying in childbirth with their 6th child).  His second wife also had 6 children.  The children were sent to Sydney for schooling.
I believe Robert Corrie died c. 1915.
If anyone can tell me where I can find birth, death and marriage records for the Gilbert Islands and give me any info on the family please?

Dunscore

Hi Dunscore the death certificates of Benjamin and Alexander Corrie will be with the registrar in Fiji as these two brothers died in Fiji. For Agnes Corrie and the rest of Robert's children is either in the Republic of Kiribati or in Australia

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 November 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Maeri,

Thank you for your information re the death certificates.  Alexander and Benjamin did die in Fiji and although I have now obtained death dates (thanks to descendants I have located in Australia), I have had no luck with the other children of Robert.  As far as I know, there is a Registry in Tarawa, Kiribati, but it is very difficult to find an address to write to and even then, I am not sure how helpful they would be.  They have probably never been asked for this information in the past!  I would also like to know which of Robert's children from his second marriage were the ones who drowned with him in 1915.

Cheers
Dunscore

Offline Neimita

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 October 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
hi everyone!my name is julita meta lejjena.my grandmother"s name is meta corrie.she is the daughter of Robert Corrie and Lydia Milne,she migrated from the Gilbert Is. to the Republic of the Marshall Is.s she then married a marshallese man and have 3 children.my father is name  is alexander.my  grandmother has a sister name,Anna,she migrated to the northern mariana Is.(Saipan) its really nice to know all my relatives,looking foward to meet ya'll.     Meta

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
Came across this death which may fit in with your research somewhere.

D.R.Corrie.
           died 1st Dec 1921,age 69.
           Denomination,Independent.
           Section B Row 17,
           Plot    10,611,063.
           Size 2.
           Rookwood Cemetery
           Sydney,N.S.W.

Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elizabeth neemia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Families,

I have created a page on Facebook (Robert David Corrie descendants around the World) so that we can be able to introduce ourselves and to get to know each other and how we are related to one another. YOu can email me your facebook usernames so I can add you to the page...sweetchilly81@gmail.com. Thank you

Offline Maxinenubono

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi meta
It sounds interesting on how you have explained your roots!
I think we both come from the same great grandmothers line. My great grandmothers name is Nei Me, I know her sisters name is Mita resided in Marshall Islands. My dad (Nubono) whose real dad Eberi and his real grand mother is Nei Me.  My dad used to work on a ship in Kiribati as a seaman/first mate travelled to Marshall early 1990's and was cared by his grandmother Mita. Can u please tell me more about ur family?? I'm wondering if this is the family that both my parents were being cared by when they travelled to Marshall Island during that time. Add me on Facebook if you would like: Maxine Nubono or msnubono@gmail.com thanks