Author Topic: How to find parents?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
How to find parents?
« on: Friday 04 September 09 14:40 BST (UK) »
 ??? ???I entered this post quite a while ago and still struggling to find anything concrete, just wondered if anyone would be able to help again. Really struggling, searching a name like Forster in the north east is like trying to find a Smith. I did do a search on Thomas Forster born apprx 1792 in Tanfield and came up with possible parents of Thomas born 1763 and Jane Collins 1765 married in Tanfield in 1788 but really dont know how to evidence this. Any suggestions  ??? ???

I am trying to find out the parents of my Great Great Grandfather Robert Forster. He was born in Tanfield in 1825. (living in Sister Homes) I have the transcript of his baptism being 7th August 1825 showing his parents Thomas and Mary Forster. Unfortunately the surname Forster is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I found a marriage of a Thomas Forster to Mary Forster (same maiden surname) This took place 2 Jun 1817 at St Margarets Tanfield. A year later Thomas and Mary had a son John (so dates could be possible). How can I confirm I have the correct parents. If not where do I go from here?
I live in Essex so unable to attend Tanfield to actually check Parish records. If I was able to get there would the records tell me anything to confirm Roberts parents? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: How to find parents?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 09 15:41 BST (UK) »
The pilot record search at www.familysearch.org actually contains images of the Bishops' transcripts for Tanfield - Robert's baptism appears on image 416 and simply contains the information you have given plus the fact that his father was a labourer.  However it might be worth your while searching through the records to see what else you can find - the records take a while to load so it could be a lengthy process!

Good luck

Gill
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
Re: How to find parents?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gill
Yes that is where I got the information from and also the marriage of Thomas and Mary but there is nothing solid to link the two.
Thanks for the kind help though.
Kind regards
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk