Author Topic: Toni*s (OH) Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 31828 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Toni*s (OH) Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »

Toni's got a doozy for you this week.....just the thing to keep you warm while you're stuck inside.

Please read post 1 and 2 before you do anything else.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Barbara

Warren Ingram b. 1858 Marton Leicester
1861 with parents
1871 with parents
1881 visiting  the Gibson family at 110 Chippenham Road Kensignton
1890 Q2  marries Ellen Culmer Hackney  1b 788     
1891 is residing in HMP Wandsworth

Because of arson and insurance fraud the papers can be viewed on the Old Bailey website
Feb 9th 1891

Warren dies 1934 Q1 age 76  Islington  1b 239

Also indicted are Ellen Ingram nee Culmer her mother Ellen Wheeler, Ellens brother George and younger brother Frederick

I am trying to make sense of these papers i.e. note all their aliases and address in the correct order

I cannot find any of the Culmers on previous census – I do want to – their ages as given on the 9th Feb 1891 are

Ellen (& her mother) in 1911 are in HMP Wandsworth

Warren is my OH actual relative but I want to build up a better picture of his wifes family not necessarily go back further than Ellens mother but to go forward if possible as George was said to be married and there is mention of a child a boy but to whom did he belong Warren & Ellen or George and his wife – who was Georges wife

You will need to read and reread the papers on the Old Bailey site as you will get confused.

George Culmers partner in crime is / was Frederick Whitehead he does not appear to get charged presumably because he gave an awful lot of evidence against George in court.

Ellen Ingram nee Culmer did not appear to be ‘at home’ with Warren much and was said to have a fancy man George Loveday – whether this be true or not I don’t know George Loveday was married with 8 children of his own.

I have read and reread the papers and am now in the process of picking out the details – as I said before I would like to complete this and to also find out more details re Ellen Culmers immediate family mother – father step father is a possibility as her mother Ellen  has a different surname she also has aliases Kate Cranley &  Lousia Corrie  spring to mind also Ellens brother George & younger brother Frederick are there more siblings?
Who is the child ‘boy’ that is mentioned? I think he is aged between 4 & 10  who are his parents ? I cannot find the Culmer sin any census other than when they are residing at her majeysteys pleasure in Wandsworth , after 1891 I cannot find Warren until his detah in 1934

The Old Bailey ref’s are  (date 9th Feb 1891)

227.    WARREN INGRAM, Feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house, with intent to injure and defraud. Third Count, for setting fire to goods in the dwelling-house.

221.    GEORGE CULMER (25) , Feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house, with intent to injure and defraud. Third Count, for setting fire to the goods in the dwelling-house.

224.   GEORGE LOVEDAY (44),    GEORGE CULMER (25), and   ELLEN WHEELER (70) (indicted with   Ellen Ingram, not in custody), Feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house at   Walthamstow, with intent to injure and defraud.

305.    GEORGE CULMER (25),   RICHARD CAPSEY (30),   GEORGE LOVEDAY (44), and   ELLEN WHEELER (70), were indicted for unlawfully conspiring to cheat and defraud certain fire insurance companies.

223.    ELLEN WHEELER, alias INGRAM (70) , Feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house at   Walthamstow, Essex, on 9th October, 1890, with intent to injure and defraud.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Toni*s (OH) Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
So far I have deduced :

Warren Ingram
An omnibus driver, in the employment of the London Road-Car Company—he comes off duty late at night, I believe about midnight; I do not know his hours
He came home as a rule about twelve or a little later, and left at a few minutes to eight in the morning
Warren Ingram received a good character from an inspector of the Road-Car Company
Was found guilty of feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house, with intent to injure and defraud. Third Count, for setting fire to goods in the dwelling-house and sentenced to 12 months hard labour – was at Wandsworth Prison in 1891 census (5th April 1891)

12 Albert Hill Stanford transferred from here to 18 Charles St Tottenham
Feb 1886 18 Charles Street Tottenham, (fire occurred there 4th April 1886)
9th October 1886 138 Caledonian Road 
October 1887 (insurance) policy transferred to 8 Chesham Road, Fulham and from there to Arkley Road
9th April 1889- July 1889 resided 34 Arkley Road Walthamstow (fire occurred there on 14th June 1889) (resided with Mrs. Wheeler- mother in law, and Mrs. Ingram - wife)
Aug 1890 - 21st November 1890 residing at 31 St James Road, Barnsbury (21st Nov was when he was arrested in Caledonian Rd) (Ellen took the room for him [Warren] but he lived there, Ellen was there a handful of times)
5th April 1891, 1891 census HMP Wandsworth

Ellen Ingram nee Culmer
Known as Lucy Ingram whilst living at 34 Arkley Road
Mrs. E. Ingram, District Post Office, Essex Road, London, England posted from Melbourne – from letter found on Warren Ingram on his arrest on 21st November 1890
12 Albert Hill Stamford transferred from here to 18 Charles Street Tottenham on 10th March 1886 – insurance claimed 6th April 1886 in the name of Ellen & William Ingram

George Culmer
Aged 25 on 9th Feb 1891
Charged with , Feloniously setting fire to a dwelling-house, with intent to injure and defraud. Third Count, for setting fire to the goods in the dwelling-house.
Was said to have a wife

Aliases:
George Franklin
George Wilson
Herbert Brown

(Easter 1889-Christmas 1889) 6th Sept 1889 – 22 Church Road, Southgate Road Islington (insurance policy transferred to 97 Tredegar Rd Bow on 31st Oct.1889)
policy in respect of furniture at 22, Church Road, Islington, dated 29th June, 1889, by Herbert Brown—on February 8th, 1890, that policy was transferred by endorsement to furniture at 250, Tufnell Park Road—on 12th February we received notice that a fire had taken place there,
Oct 1889 97, Tredegar Road, Bow – circa 3 weeks later there was a fire (10th November)
29th November 1889 insurance policy transferred to 44, Richmond Gardens, Hammersmith (in the name of F. Wilson)
Nov 1889 44 Richmond Gardens Hammersmith (fire there 18th Dec 1889)
April/ May - June 1890 5 Dalton Street Peckham  (fire 1st June 1890)
5th June 1890 (mainly  Frederick Whitehead) 61, Beresford Road, Walworth
23rd August 1890 using the name of (George) Franklin took 2 rooms from Mary Kinsol, at 27 Woodstock Rd Shepherds Bush. Fire occurred there on 3rd September at about 9.15 that evening. Remained there for 3 weeks after fire.

several fires that he had figured in, Clyde Road, Tottenham,   Winchester Street, King's Cross, another, Southwark Bridge Road, and Tredegar Road, Bow

Frederick Culmer
Younger brother of George Culmer  & Ellen Culmer also known as Frederick Wilson

Frederick Whitehead
Warehouseman by trade
Known George Culmer for 12 years also knows brother Frederick and other family members

Aka Frederick English

Feb 1891 – lives at 66 Ridley Road, Dalton
16th Dec 1889 44 Richmond Gardens , Shepherds Bush – fire here 18th Dec
Nov 1889 133 St Johns Road, Hoxton (fire Dec 1889)
Oct 1889 –  106 Spa Road, Bermondsey

thats as far as i have got.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Morning  :)

I think now that it is a possibility that their surname could be Colmer

Feb 1891 George is said to be 25 thus making him born circa 1866
Frederick is younger
Ellen i have no idea of her age - recheck 1911 census!
and their mother Ellen is said to be 70

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »

Im here Toni.....Just gonna read through :) :)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »

Have you noticed.......It's Toni's own Scavenger Hunt and she STILL gets here first!!!!      ;D ;D
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »

Have you noticed.......It's Toni's own Scavenger Hunt and she STILL gets here first!!!!      ;D ;D
i just thought that  ;D ;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
i cant find Ellen on the 1911 census now - sorry so just ignore that bit please

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Ay up, mmmorning all....  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »

Morning Lesanne............now get to work.........      ;D ;D ;D
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton