Author Topic: New version of FREE Genealogy Program  (Read 6255 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
New version of FREE Genealogy Program
« on: Friday 19 February 10 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully this new free program will be of interest to RootsChat members....  Enjoy! ;D

GenealogyJ 3.0 Released

GenealogyJ version 3.0 has just been released by Nils Meier. The program has undergone a major overhaul for this version with increased useability being the primary goal.

Here are GenealogyJ's main features:

It has an easy to understand interface with a great selection of views...

* An interactive Family Tree view of everone in your file - drag it around, zoom in and out, go straight to editing or print it out!

* An indexed sortable 'table' view of individuals, families, multimedia files, sources etc

* A 'geo view' that automatically plots places from your file on a map

* A choice of easy 'standard' or power 'gedcom' editing mode

* A great selection of text reports and charts including an amazing all-in-one chart!

* Search capabilities from simple to extremely powerful

* A built-in timeline view with associated historical almanac

Views are automatically linked - change the current person in Tree view and they'll be immediately visible in Edit view

All the main views are configurable - you can rearrange them to see your tree alongside an individual's details or a report next to your 'geo view'. Better still you can choose from a selection of built in 'blueprints' that define how your information is displayed or create your own!

GenealogyJ is a 'cross platform' Java application meaning it will run on any computer that supports Java - that means any recent version of Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

A host of options allow you to configure the program to the way you work.

As well as being able to print the interactive Tree, GenJ has lots of graphical and text based reports including some that you won't find in other family history programs! Reports can be saved in a variety of formats including .txt, .html, .pdf, .png and more for editing or displaying in other programs.

It can be run as a standard desktop program, a web application, or from a USB stick!

It has modest system requirements and a light 'footprint' - it won't take up lots of space or demand a high spec computer.

A dedicated GenealogyJ forum lets you talk directly to the developers and get involved in shaping the program's future.

It speaks your language, with user supported translations of many languages.

It's Gedcom compatible. GenJ doesn't use a proprietory format to store your data it operates directly on any .ged file.

It's got lots of little features to make navigation and editing easier such as simple bookmarking, drop down lists for places, tables that can be sorted on any field and a highly configurable selection of views.

'GenJ' is free to use, share and modify under the GPL 'open source' licence.

You can download GenealogyJ 3.0 from these locations...

For Windows...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genj/files/releases/3.0/genj_win-3.0.zip/download

For Apple Mac...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genj/files/releases/3.0/genj_mac-3.0.tar.gz/download

For Linux and other systems... http://sourceforge.net/projects/genj/files/releases/3.0/genj_install-3.0.jar/download

If you have any questions, problems or suggestions you'll find our official forum at http://genj.sourceforge.net/forum/

Cheers

Paul

PS Please note that the GenJ website/wiki has yet to be updated to reflect version 3.0

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New version of FREE Genealogy Program
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Paul.
All I want is a basic family tree template that can be used for more than one child.
I have the one from 'Lost Cousins', this is as simple as I need, but with room to put 10 children. The Lost Cousins template just allows for direct ancestors.
I'm afraid I do not understand most of the features you have mentioned! :-[
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,

It sounds so good

BUT

I have spent 2 hours getting rid of all the other programmes that I seemed to have to install.
And, I never got to have the actual programme on my computer.

AS WELL AS having all sorts of other problems -
Internet Access freezing
A simple solitaire card game freezing
Everything stuck till I did a reboot

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks paul.

Have been after something to try on my netbooks's  Linux Lite OS and the above has downloaded a treat. Have now opened same and will have a play around with it to see what's what.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean

I have spent 2 hours getting rid of all the other programmes that I seemed to have to install. ...

GenJ just need's the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) which is often already installed. If not, from memory, it's about 20Mb so it shouldn't take hours to download and GenJ itself is less than that so total download should be no more than about 35mb at the most.

It shouldn't cause any interference with other programs or affect the stability of your computer. What operating system are you running (Windows, Mac, Linux, other)?

Paul

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks paul.

Have been after something to try on my netbooks's  Linux Lite OS and the above has downloaded a treat. Have now opened same and will have a play around with it to see what's what.

The 'standard' edit view will be changing very shortly so don't be put off if the image viewing area seems small - Nils, the lead developer uses a netbook so he's keen to maximise space for vertically challenged screens :D

Paul

EDIT: Here's a couple of screenshots if anyone wonders what it actually looks like! The various views can be arranged in any order/size/position.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Further explanation on my experience - it was with trying to find a programme to unzip GenJ.
That is when I seemed to have to download all sorts of other programmes to get an unzip programme.

Thank you,
Jean

Edited: Just went to your first link to try again to look at programme and computer froze.

I am using XP
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean

Ah, if you need a free unzip program try 7-Zip.... http://www.7-zip.org/

GenJ is 'hosted' (stored) on Sourceforge which does get extremely busy at times which is why it might appear to freeze your browser.

Paul.

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 February 10 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I have downloaded Genj but am not sure if it needs extracting or what. I am new to using ubuntu on Lunux so am not sure what to do.

Can you tell me in easy to understand steps please

Thanks
Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now