Author Topic: Ermintrude46 Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 11658 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Ermintrude46 Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 16 March 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi all and welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt.   I like this one, it's got something for everyone.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

Robert Cheeseman was baptised 8 May 1785 at St Paul’s Deptford, Kent and his younger brother, James, was baptised there on 22 Dec 1793.  Robert was press-ganged into the Royal Navy on 23 Mar 1803 and served, mostly in the East Indies, until 8 Aug 1814.  He married Jane Keeping at St Mary’s Portsea, Hants on 10 Jan 1814. 

Known children are: Susannah Jane (my 2xggran) born 12 Nov 1817, Joseph born 11 May 1820, John Robert Powell born 31 Jul 1827, Joshua James born 27 Jun 1831 (but not baptised until 31 Jul 1842) and Martha born 19 Jan 1835.  James Cheeseman married Jane ??. known children: Sarah Jane bap 25 Jan 1822, Susannah Isabella bap 11 Nov 1824, James Isaac bap 31 Aug 1828 (all at St Pauls, Deptford).  James’s wife, Jane, was buried there 13 Nov 1829 age 31 (there may also have been an infant daughter, Jane, buried 16 Feb 1829 aged 2 months).  Relevant dates/info:

17 Jun 1836 Inquest on death of Jane Sarah [sic] Cheeseman returns a verdict of manslaughter against her aunt (Robert’s wife) Jane (see attached file for relevant newspaper article)

7 Jul 1836 Jane Cheeseman pleads guilty to manslaughter of Sarah Jane Cheeseman at the Old Bailey, sentanced to two years hard labour at Maidstone Prison.

28 Jun 1838 Queen Victoria’s coronation

2 Mar 1840 Susannah Jane Cheeseman found not guilty of theft from a specified place at the Old Bailey http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-982-18400302&div=t18400302-982

6 Apr 1840 Susannah Jane Cheeseman found guilty of fraud at the Old Bailey, fined 1s http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-1296-18400406&div=t18400406-1296 and discharged to the Refuge for the Destitute on 24 Jun 1840 from Newgate Prison http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Linked-records.jsp#refuge .  At her admission interview, Susannah claimed that she was apprenticed to a dressmaker and did occasional work for a Mrs Collins and that she was seduced in her [Mrs Collins’] house and detained there for eleven weeks!

11 Jul 1840 Susannah Jane was discharged from the Refuge, with the permission of the Sheriffs, at her mother’s request

6 Jun 1841 census [HO/107/488/3 f23 p10]
New Street, Deptford, Kent
James Cheeseman age 45, bricklayer, born in county
Jane age 44, not born in county
Joshua age 9, born in county
Martha age 6, born in county

Next door but one
Robert Cheeseman age 58, bricklayer, born in county (Robert was admitted to Greenwich Hospital as an in-pensioner in 1842 and died there 1 Jul 1861 from liver disease).

31 Aug 1844 Jane Cheeseman (Robert’s wife) dies, aged 49, from typhus fever.  Informant is “S. Jane Jones” of (perhaps) Titlar Street, Northfleet, Kent

7 Apr 1845 Susannah Jane Cheeseman marries William Jones at Poplar.  Known children: William born 5 Dec 1841 (registered/baptised as Jones in Deptford), John Joseph born 9 Dec 1843 at Stowage, Deptford (registered as Jones but not baptised until 10 Aug 1851, father is named as William Warrington Jones on b/c, the name of William Jones’ father), James Thomas born 18 Mar 1851 (named as Richard aged 12 days in the 1851 census taken on 30 Mar at East Court, Deptford HO/107/1585 f13 p19), “Fred. C” [aged 6 at 1861 census, Kerby Street, Poplar RG9/305 f72 p47], “Edw. G” [aged 4 at 1861 census], Richard Joshua (my gt grandfather) born 19 Mar 1860 at 4 Chrisp St, Poplar

3 Apr 1881 [census RG11/702 f20 p33] Susannah Jane Jones, now apparently widowed, and youngest son, Richard, are living at 27 Giffin Street, Deptford.

Questions:
Where are Susannah Jane Cheeseman and the rest of her siblings (and William Jones) in the 1841 census?

Where are William and Susannah Jane Jones and their children in the 1871 censuses?

Were there any other children to Susannah Jane and William Jones (7 yrs 3 months gap between John Joseph and James Thomas) and can Fred and Edw be properly identified/accounted for?

What became of Susannah Isabella Cheeseman, sister to Sarah Jane (their brother, James Isaac, later joined the Metropolitan Police, a psychologist would no doubt draw all sorts of inferences from that!)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Ermintrude46 Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Ermy I realise with Jones you have problems ;D ;D ;D
William was a carpenter on the marriage certificate, so he could have been working away or he could have been in prison.
Again Jones doesn't make it easy to find him.
Any thoughts on the witnesses at William and Susannah's marriage, William and Sarah King Biggs?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I see on James baptism William is described as a ships joiner, could he have been at sea for periods of time?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
vague possible from 1841?

Bridge St, Greenwich HO107/489/9 folio 37 pg 23
Wm Jones 30 carpr
Jane Jones 20
both born in county

Do you have an address for William's birth in 1841?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Osprey On William's baptism on 9/1/1842 at St Nicholas Deptford their address is 13 Griffin St St Paul.

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, apologies had to go into work for meetings, today of all days, usually I work from home  ::)

Jaywit - My mum swore blind her Jones came from Wales but I'm glad to say I've found they were still in London five generations back from her, hoping that means there are fewer Jones to pick from!  William Jones' father and grandfather were also shipwrights/ships carpenters at the dockyard in Deptford and he could well have been out and about on voyages at various times (Wm's father is shown as a mariner at his baptism in 1811).  I'll have to have a look at the Extraordinary Accounts for Deptford Dockyard at Kew and see if I can pick him out/it says he's on board somewhere.   Afraid I haven't followed up on the witnesses at all, doh.

Osprey - Actually, that's not so vague, Susannah Jane may well have gone by Jane judging from her mother's death cert.  They were living at Stowage, Deptford when their son John Joseph was born 31/12/1844, they seem to have stuck around in the same area of Deptford - is Bridge Street at Deptford Bridge (I've let my Ancestry membership lapse, bad timing :-[).

Here's the newspaper report on the inquest on poor Sarah Jane
Ermy

Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
can Fred and Edw be properly identified/accounted for?

Possible birth for Edw G. JONES, 4 in 1861 census:

Birth, Dec qtr 1856

Edwin George JONES

Poplar 1c 567

...and a possible death

Death, Sep qtr 1866

Edwin George JONES aged 9

Poplar 1c 832
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks avm, will think about ordering that death cert before the price hike unless his baptism/burial info comes to light.
Ermy  :)
Chalker (Somerset)

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Any thoughts on the witnesses at William and Susannah's marriage, William and Sarah King Biggs?

BIGGS?? Well, that's the second mistake I've got on their wedding cert then (a handwritten copy from the GRO in 1981 - perhaps I'll send it back and ask for a refund at todays prices!).  It gives Wm's father's name as William WaDDington Jones, not WaRRington, and shows the witnesses as William and Sarah King Wiggs!!

Guess it could be one of these two Sarahs:

Marriages Dec 1838   
--------------------------------
BREWER  Sarah     Poplar  2 297   
PARKER  Sarah     Poplar  2 297   

to Biggs  William    Poplar  2 297   

Ermy ::)
Chalker (Somerset)