Author Topic: Blackhill church  (Read 12274 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhill church
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
Some more information at http://ww2.durham.gov.uk/dre/pgDre.aspx?&SEARCH=By+Place&TERM=Blackhill&ID=SMR5507 but no picture of the altar

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  Doesn't necessarily have to be the altar just any interior photo would do.
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 22:20 BST (UK) »

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
cheers ;D
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 June 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
I've attached a photo of St. Mary's church which is a scan of an old postcard; judging by the absence of the first World War memorial - which is now positioned to the left of the gate which is itself to the left of Father Smith's memorial (the large Celtic Cross) - it was probably taken some time prior to 1920. It was taken from St. Mary's street. This view is no longer possible now as it is obscured by Beech trees and a wooden fence. The second photo is one I took more recently from Derwent Street. The War Memorial can just be seen at the left of the picture. I can't attach any other files to this post so Ill be back shortly.
            PatB

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 June 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
I took this shot of the Church interior from the organ loft on the occasion of St. Mary's 150th anniversary. Our local Family History group produced a booklet (quite a good one, actually) recording the history of the Church since its construction. It's appearance is not identical to the way it would have appeared in the early 1900's since early photos show statues - which have since been removed - on the walls overlooking the centre aisle. There have been other changes more recently to enable disabled access as well as other modernisations, but the basic fabric remains the same.
         I had a look at the Blackhill Burial records for Snagahans. There aren't any but there are a few Sanaghans who, judging from the dates of burial and Ministers attending the burials, could well be part of your family tree.
         PatB

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 June 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the fantastic photos.  I haven't any of the actual people so I thought i'd include photos of places that were associated with them hence the request.

Many thanks

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 June 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
Could you please explain the difference between consecrated and unconsecrated burials.  Apologies for my ignorance. :-[

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 June 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880.

Before 1880 no body could be buried in consecrated ground except with the service of the Church, which the incumbent of the parish or a person authorized by him was bound to perform; but the canons and prayer-book refused the use of the office for excommunicated persons, for some grievous and notorious crime, and no person able to testify of his repentance, unbaptised persons, and persons against whom a verdict of felo de se had been found. But by the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880, the bodies of persons entitled to be buried in parochial burial grounds, whether churchyards or graveyards, may be buried there, on proper notice being given to the minister, without the performance of the service of the Church of England, and either without any religious service or with a Christian and orderly religious service at the grave, which may be conducted by any person invited to do so by the person in charge of the funeral. The Act also allowed the use of the Church of England Burial service on unconsecrated ground.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/acts/1881burialAct.htm

Stan