Author Topic: AngelaR's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 12244 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
AngelaR's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:19 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt........ Definitely one to get you working, so right up your street   ;D ;D

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

The life of my great great grandfather, William Tarr, seems to have been a pretty open book from 1841 onwards. He was a tanner in Kingston St Mary, Somerset, and appears there in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (HO107 /959/11 Folio 6 Page 3 and HO 107/1923 Folio 329 Page 22 respectively)

On the 1851 census he is shown as lodging with Charles and Ruth Palfrey and living next door to Ruth Edwards, his future wife, who is Ruth Palfrey's niece.

On 1st February 1853, William Tarr and Ruth Edwards marry (I have the certificate). William does not give a father's name and to start with, I assumed he was illegitimate. That is probably true but I haven't been able to find out 

On every census, William, an apparently methodical man, gave his birthplace as Bampton, Devon and DOB about 1822-3. Typically, the Bampton parish registers for that period have not survived. I have never been able to find his family of origin and would love to.

From 1871 until William's death in 1884, William and Ruth lived in Staplegrove, Somerset, a village with other Tarrs in, albeit of an apparently higher status (I don't think you could get a lot lower than a tanner!). I've never been able to link William with any other Tarrs in the area or find any other evidence as to his parents.

His marriage certificate didn't have any hopeful witnesses - they appear to have been neighbours, David and Charlotte Upham.

Barbara assures me that you could quite possibly work miracles in finding my William's family of origin, but if you can't, I'd also be really interested to find out what happened to his wife's only 2 siblings to survive into adulthood - Charles (b 1929) and William (b 1839) Edwards, last seen in 1851 with their parents (HO 107 1922 Folio 234 Page 6)

Anything you can find to move me forward with this branch of my tree would be very much appreciated indeed - I've been stuck for years 

Many thanks,

Angela
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: AngelaR's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara!

I've a client for the next hour but after that will be here to answer any questions  :)

(Hope I have some......  ;D )
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

How likely that he was christened in Knowstone or in Petton, .... I am in NSW Australia, Knowstone seems close to Bampton (Petton seems closer)  to my 21st century eyes. 

::)

There's a William TARR christening 25 Apr 1824 at Knowstone, son of James and Ann Tarr

Or there's a christening in Petton ...  William Pavey TARR,  05 Mar 1820, son of Sarah Tarr (no father's name indexed)

Oops, forgot to add .... found these at the new https://www.familysearch.org/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

How likely that he was christened in Knowstone or in Petton, .... I am in NSW Australia, Knowstone seems close to Bampton (Petton seems closer)  to my 21st century eyes. 

::)

There's a William TARR christening 25 Apr 1824 at Knowstone, son of James and Ann Tarr

Or there's a christening in Petton ...  William Pavey TARR,  05 Mar 1820, son of Sarah Tarr (no father's name indexed)

Oops, forgot to add .... found these at the new https://www.familysearch.org/

Cheers,  JM

The Petton entry is a possibility as Petton is a chapel in the parish of Bampton.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM and Nigel

Thanks for getting stuck in - very much appreciated  :)

I think I'd discounted the Petton baptism because it would make William 2 or 3 years older and he didn't seem to be one of those people who play about with their ages.... not that that's anything more than a supposition though.

Just checked the marriage cert and, typically, just gives 'full age' for both parties  ::)

Death cert (5th Sept 1884) gives age 62 (informant is son William)....

Added:

Got to go to office.... back in an hour.....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In 1851 there seems to be a few Tarrs b Bampton living in Somerset ....

Will be back shortly ..have to pick up sick dau from school  :-X

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
hello  
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb and Toni.... great to see you  ;D

You're right Deb, there were a few Tarrs around from Bampton - never managed to link my William in though.... but one of you capable people might well spot a link  :-\

That area is a pain in the neck because it's right on the Devon Somerset border and people didn't seem to want to stay in one place, so there's 2 counties to consider  :(

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 13:23 GMT (UK) »
It seems that the William TARR b 1824 , Knowstone married Charity Hookway ....They can be followed in the censuses.

William must be related to the other Tarrs b Bampton ... need to figure out how.

deb

hi Angela ...I was also searching IGI under Somerset ...no luck.
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk