Author Topic: Yvonne Prevost or Helene Prevost, early French lawn tennis player  (Read 3772 times)

Offline newmark401

• RootsChat Senior
  • None
    • View Profile
Yvonne Prevost or Helene Prevost, early French lawn tennis player
« on: Monday 12 December 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some biographical information on an Yvonne Prevost or Helene Prevost, an early French lawn tennis player (she played circa 1900). I've seen Helene Prevost in several sources, particularly where the 1900 Olympic singles final is concerned, where Helene lost to Charlotte Cooper of Great Britain.

However, several other sources also mention an Yvonne Prevost, who married an Auguste Boppe, a diplomat, on 11 May 1905. After that no female Prevost appears in lawn tennis records.

There was also an Andre Prevost who played lawn tennis around the same time as Yvonne/Helene. He was probably her brother or father, but very little is known about him too.

Any concrete biographical information on the above people would be appreciated.

Mark
History of lawn tennis; players, tournaments, etc.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yvonne Prevost or Helene Prevost, early French lawn tennis player
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 11 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried?
http://gallica.bnf.fr/
Shows the 1905 marriage as Saint-François-de-Sales (search "Yvonne Prevost")
However, I am not sure that these are necessarily the same person?

Google books: "Les Jeux olympiques oubliés: Paris 1900"
mentions Andre as her father
Concernant les Français, outre les performances d'Hélène Prévost et de son père André Prévost (vainqueur du simple messieurs handicap et du double mixte handicap avec sa fille), le tournoi aura révélé les deux jeunes lycéens déjà...

And the French wikipedia on Andre gives his birth (26 Mar 1860 at Reims) and death (15 Feb 1919 at Paris).

This allows us to find his birth - can be searched here
http://www.marne-archive.com/base/reims/s_m.php3
full name, Jean Marie André Prevost, father Nicolas Adolphe, mother Marie (nee Altmeyer)
he had also possibly a brother in 1870, Adolphe Robert.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newmark401

• RootsChat Senior
  • None
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply. I always thought that André was Hélène's father. It was the discovery of Yvonne that made me think they might be the one person.

I know the bnf/gallica site very well. That's where I found the information about Yvonne's wedding.

Could you possibly find a date of birth for Yvonne or Hélène? I presume the latter was born in or near the Seine-et-Marne dèpartement?

Mark

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Without knowing where someone was born it's hard to track down a dob.
The 1905 marriage should show Yvonne's parents, age or birthdate, and birthplace.

On the Marne Archives site, Jean Marie André Prevost appears to have had five children starting in 1888 with a Aimée Louise Marie Balourdet.

http://www.ville-reims.fr/fr/culture/les-archives/archives-en-ligne/etat-civil/
 - here there are some of the records online.

It seems that this is the same Jean Marie André (his father is witness to some of the births) but the wife is too young to be mother of a child born in time to be Helene.

ETA: I can find some mentions of descendants of the Boppe family, but nothing that might mention if Yvonne was a tennis player.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newmark401

• RootsChat Senior
  • None
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Without knowing where someone was born it's hard to track down a dob.
The 1905 marriage should show Yvonne's parents, age or birthdate, and birthplace.

On the Marne Archives site, Jean Marie André Prevost appears to have had five children starting in 1888 with a Aimée Louise Marie Balourdet.

http://www.ville-reims.fr/fr/culture/les-archives/archives-en-ligne/etat-civil/
 - here there are some of the records online.

It seems that this is the same Jean Marie André (his father is witness to some of the births) but the wife is too young to be mother of a child born in time to be Helene.

ETA: I can find some mentions of descendants of the Boppe family, but nothing that might mention if Yvonne was a tennis player.

Interesting. I think, then, that Jean Marie André is probably not the father of the Helene I'm looking for, who would have been born around 1878.

I have concrete references to Yvonne Prevost from several sources, including French newspapers and contemporary British sports journals ("Lawn Tennis and Croquet"). After her marriage in 1905, there is no mention of any female Prevost playing tennis anywhere.

Mark

Offline jboppe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Yvonne Prévost was my great-grand-mother. She married Auguste Boppe.

Yvonne was indeed a tennis player. I have at home a tennis cup engraved "St Moritz 1903".
Could this be the cup of the tennis Swiss championship mentionned on this page:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne_Pr%C3%A9vost

I would need to check if Yvonne had a middle name such as Hélène.
Best,
Jacques Boppe

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk