Author Topic: A RootsChat database for Canal and River Boat People ("Watermen/Lightermen")  (Read 32845 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yesterday I "opened" the RootsChat database for Travelling People.

On a topic about water gypsys I put this query:
Today I "opened" the RootsChat database for Travelling People.

I wasn't sure about adding Water Gypsy" to the sub-groups, as I don't know if it's a "recognised" term.  Please let me know what you think about this.
Another possibility (if there is enough interest) would be to make a separate group for Canal and River Boat people. Perhaps "Water Gypsys" would fit in there better ?

Bob

Topic: A RootsChat database for Travelling People
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,627642.0.html

Two responses:
I think it would be a great idea Bob. especially a group for canal people.
Frank.
and
Yes Bob
I think it would be a good idea

I have so many of my grandmother's sister's who were bargees

Louisa Maud

Any more opinions on this ??

And what would be suitable sub-groups (if any) ?
Canal boats, River boats, Bargees, Pilots, ....  ??

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for "Watermen" (Canal and River Boat People)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
No further feedback on this, but just out of curiosity to see how easy / difficult it would be, I added it anyway  ;D

It took about 90 minutes to add a new group to the DBSIG, so if any any one else thinks a "RootsChat Database for XYZers" would be a good idea, let me know  :)

I have implemented the following "sub groups" for starters; I can easily add more on request ...

- Watermen
- Canal boats
- River boats
- Bargees
- Tugs
- Pilots
- Lightermen

As usual, I have added a totally fictitious XBoater /XBoatee family, just to show what can be done.
(Use "Quick Search" and click on 'X')

Enjoy,
Bob

DBSIG access:
>> Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
>> DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
>> Select "Watermen (Canal and River boats)"
or
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Watermen+%28Canal+and+River+boats%29

Example:
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=3&letter=X&view=1883

Help Page:
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=2&show=gi#gi
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Ps.

Travelling People, Pork Butchers, Water people - the principle is the same, so I'll repeat the offer I made on the Traveller's board here for "Water people" ...

Special Offer:

When I was developing the Pork Butchers database, 2 RootsChatters sent me the results of their researches, one as an excel spreadsheet, and the other as a table in a WORD document. 

I then converted these to SQL (a database language) and entered them directly into the database.

If you have any lists of "Travelling People", whether ancestors or as research findings, I am happy to do the same for you.

Please let me know and I'll send you a PM how to send me the files.

Bob

Offline blodyn tatws

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 July 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
This sounds a good idea, my husband's family were bargees on the Bath & Kennet Canal, so more info on their life & general history would be interesting.

Offline Linnet1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Wotcha chaps :)
I live on a historic wooden narrowboat, and have done all my life, (indeed this year my family celebrate owning her for 40 years!), I also make a living working a coal carrying narrowboat (also historic) and painting any of them that stay still for more then 5 minutes :-P
I'd be happy to help with the more mundane side of inland waterways history stuff, the boats themselves, how they were worked and thing like that.

Though id point out now that the men and women who worked the boats of all kinds would have been dreadfully insulted to be called either "water gypsy" or "bargee".. The few remaining boatmen still alive get terribly upset if theyre called these names! They were, and are,"boatmen" or "boaters". Even those on barges were not "bargees", its just a term that came 'off the bank' (the waterway term for people in houses') through lack of understanding about the boats; they thought, and many still do, that the boats in the many forms are all "barges"..

Anyway, I'd be happy to help with a waterways board if I can! It'd be an honour to speak on behalf of the boaters who have gone before me, and help people understand our way of life :)
Dainty, Bryson, Goodall, Worthington, Anderson, Cornwall, Hewlett, Casserly, Grellier, Denby

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Wotcha chaps :)
I live on a historic wooden narrowboat, and have done all my life, (indeed this year my family celebrate owning her for 40 years!), I also make a living working a coal carrying narrowboat (also historic) and painting any of them that stay still for more then 5 minutes :-P
I'd be happy to help with the more mundane side of inland waterways history stuff, the boats themselves, how they were worked and thing like that.

Though id point out now that the men and women who worked the boats of all kinds would have been dreadfully insulted to be called either "water gypsy" or "bargee".. The few remaining boatmen still alive get terribly upset if theyre called these names! They were, and are,"boatmen" or "boaters". Even those on barges were not "bargees", its just a term that came 'off the bank' (the waterway term for people in houses') through lack of understanding about the boats; they thought, and many still do, that the boats in the many forms are all "barges"..

Anyway, I'd be happy to help with a waterways board if I can! It'd be an honour to speak on behalf of the boaters who have gone before me, and help people understand our way of life :)
  Thank you so much for your definition of a true boatman, i am pleased to see that i am not the only one to get upset with the usage of water gypsy have even heard water rat used.I come from a line of 7 generations of working canal boatmen & have several family members still alive to listen to their tales.

Offline sofeng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 October 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify (or confuse?)
See: Worshipful Company of Watermen and Lightermen website.
Link http://www.watermenshall.org

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I think that would be brilliant -I have boat people on both my parents side and my husbands side were a big family of barge people
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, the database is there, and has been available - "open for business" - since June 2013.

All it needs is that people add their watermen ancestors.

regards,
Bob

DBSIG access:
>> Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
>> DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
>> Select "Watermen (Canal and River boats)"
or
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Watermen+%28Canal+and+River+boats%29

Example:
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=3&letter=X&view=1883

Help Page:
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=2&show=gi#gi