Author Topic: INDIA: "Last Children of The Raj"  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
INDIA: "Last Children of The Raj"
« on: Sunday 14 August 05 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm not sure where to post this message, but I've recently noticed quite a lot of queries about India on Rootschat.  Last year a compilation of memories was published of what life was like for British children of parents in the Civil Service, the British Army, or those who were in other professional or technical services, commerce or industry.
The work is called:"The Last Children of the Raj", compiled by Laurence Fleming, and is set out as Volume1:1919-1939; Volume 2: 1939-1950.  The first volume is set out by Province, the second by year.  There are 125 named contributors, and if anyone thinks they might have a family member with an Indian connection involved in this way, I could look him/her up for you...
Keith

Offline sylvia 57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Last Children of The Raj" (INDIA)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood
Could you help me I am looking for two males that were both in the army in india from about 1930 and then the india police from1930 to 1947
there names are#
George Renno
Cecil richard Back
thanks

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 05 23:53 BST (UK) »
Sylvia,
Neither of the two men you mention are listed amongst the 125 people who contributed to the memoirs.  I haven't quite finished reading the books myself, so am not absolutely sure they get a mention or not...
Keith

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 00:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Keith

I reccomended Sylvia to talk to you - she has been on a few boards looking for help - any ideas about where to look for India Police ? - I'm tapped out of ideas!!

Annie ::)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie and Sylvia,
Personally, I would pay a visit to the British Library and visit their very helpful Oriental and India Office Collections on the 2nd Floor (Readers tickets here are free, after a short interview and photo and card issued).  There is also a University of Cambridge Asian Studies section to their Library, though I have to admit I have not yet been near the place, even though I live in the city.
Have no idea how reachable those places are for Sylvia, but I Googled for the British Library and on their integrated catalogue there are 505 hits if you put in "India Police".  But I presume these records can only be viewed in London...
When I did the same for University of Cambridge, there were 10000 hits!  Right at the top of the list was a book entitled "Police in India" by M.B.Chaude, published in 1997 by Atlantic, New Delhi.  Again, this appears not for loan, and one would have go and look at it.  Last time, as a non-member of Cambridge University, I had to pay £10 for a 6-month reader's ticket.
I don't suppose this is much help...
Keith

Offline sylvia 57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Thanks for the info but unfortunatly I am not able to get to either place due to being disabled but thanks anyhow

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
Sylvia,
Can't promise anything, and I must say that I haven't been to the British Library since the bombings, but next time I do, or visit the Cambridge University Library, I'll try and look up those two names for you.  No idea of exactly when that will be in the future, though...
very best wishes,
keith

Offline retrospectory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: "Last Children of The Raj"
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

I'm trying to track down an "Edward Hollingsworth" who was born overseas probably in India on 7th August 1919.  Unfortunately I can't confirm the names of his parents as I'm relying on a friend's rather sketchy family history.  If you have any details of him I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks...Helen
Hannabuss

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: "Last Children of The Raj"
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Gosh! Sylvia and Helen,
Nearly five years have elapsed since I wrote that last post, and I still haven't been anywhere near the British Library in that time.  It's still probably the most likely place to look for details of families who were born or who lived in India.
Helen, I've just looked in my book, and the nearest in alphabetical order to your family is the name HOLLINS, so not much help, I'm afraid....
Regards, keith