Author Topic: WAGSTAFF, All  (Read 55243 times)

Offline Essexresearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WAGSTAFF, All
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 February 09 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

John Detlev WAGSTAFF [1848-1910] had a second family with Emily SPELMAN in Barking, Essex.

Edward was born 18 March 1902.

Does anyone know if this Edward married Jesse COMBER in 1925 please? If so I am happy to buy the marriage certificate. However if anyone can disprove this I would be very grateful as there were two separate WAGSTAFF families in Barking at this time.

Offline Mombasa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  have a 4th great grandfather named Richard Wagstaffe who married an Ann Campion in Ecton Northamptonshire in 1788, but I do not know when he was born or whose son he was, does anyone here know of him ?

Regards, John
Northamptonshire;Smith;Tipler;Ingram;Langley;Marriott
Hampshire;Eldridge;Cooper;Shawyer;Aldridge;Kitcher
Middlesex;Heatley;Brittain

Offline Cer76

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
W.H. Wagstaff & bro Nottingham circa 1880s
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am researching William Henry Wagstaff born 1838 in Sneinton, Nottinghamshire and his brother George Daniel Wagstaff born abt 1847 in Sneinton, Nottinghamshire. They had a business together in Nottingham circa 1877-1902 (this is the period that I can confirm through census records and business directories of the time) called W.H. Wagstaff & bro and they were silk & cotton yarn agents.

Their brother Horatio Wagstaff was my great great grandfather. I would like to find out more about them and their business. Does anyone have any information on them? Did either William Henry or George Daniel have any children?

Their parents were William Henry Wagstaff (b. abt 1808) and Mary Ann Smith.

Grateful for any help, Cerian Wagstaff

Offline Homerdaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 September 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I believe that we share ancestors, as my Great Grandmother was a Wagstaff . Your various posts have helped me to fill in some gaps in my research.

Thank you

Homerdaddy
Wagstaff Herefordshire
Phelps Herefordshire
Parker Monmouthshire

Offline myghael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 December 10 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Richard WAGSTAFF, blacksmith, who married Ann BIDDLE of Bushley, Worcs at Longdon by Upton, Worcestershire on 1 Feb 1768. I seem to be going round in circles looking for this Richard, with numerous families in the Worcs/Herefordshire border areas and further afield.
Richard and Ann baptised 3 sons in Bushley, with Ann being buried in 1773. Richard then moved to Newbold Pacey in Warwickshire, where he was buried in 1821 aged 79.

Could this be the Richard baptised Bishampton, Worcs in 1741?

There is also a marriage 18 July 1768 of Edward WAGSTAFF to Mary WILKINS where Richard WAGSTAFF is the witness. Brothers? The children of Edward and Mary bear very similar names, albeit not unusual, to the family of Richard and his two wives (2nd marriage 1784 leamington Hastings, Warks)

Any help on tracing my Richard would be gratefully received  :)
Thanks MIke

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 December 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Sorry at this time I have nothing to help you with your search. But I thought it was worth getting in touch about my Wagstaff family from Worcs. The furthest back I have gone so far is James marrying Elizabeth (S)Keel on 29 Sept 1777 in Eldersfield, Worcs. There may be a connection to your Richard given it is only 8 miles to Longdon. I don't have James's occupation but his son John (born 1780 in Eldersfield) was also a Blacksmith.

If you come across any details of my James, or John please let me know, and I will do likewise if I discover anything about Richard or Edward.

Good hunting,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline myghael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 December 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grothenwell,
Thanks for your prompt response. I have been looking at the family of James and Elizabeth. I believe that not only was son John a blacksmith, but also John's son James who we find living at Much Cowarne in 1841 and 1851. I have nothing to substantiate for sure.

I was wondering if James, was baptised in 1755 the son of John and Mary at Mathon. Also at Mathon is a possible Richard who married Elizabeth WILKES in 1737. Then we find Richard and Elizabeth baptising children from 1738 in Bishampton. My theory would be that John and Richard would be brothers or first cousins. However at the moment no where enough info to
substantiate this. But it would link the two lots of blacksmiths together!

Also at Bishops Frome in 1859 William, blacksmith, son of James, blacksmith of Much Cowarne marries Maria WILKINS

Looks like a trip to Worcester and Hereford records might be needed!

Mike

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 December 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back in touch. Yes that is my Wagstaff family, but not from William, it is from James's next eldest son Thomas.

The only detail I have on John is his marriage as per the earlier post. It would be great to find that it is his birth in 1755 you have found.

I live in Scotland, but I have been down to both the shire records you mention. At the Worcester family history society, there are bound books of transcriptions of various births, marriages & deaths in worcs. Unfortunately when I found them it was time to leave and I couldn't photocopy them as they were copyrighted. Sometime in the future I'll get down and see if there is anything they reveal.

Hopefully you can post a reply and then I'll be able to send you a PM with my email address.

Best wishes,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Homerdaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 February 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grothenwell

A few years ago you queried why Thomas Wagstaff had the name Tarvin as his place of birth instead of Suckley on the 1871 census. I have been looking at the census return and it looks to me as if the place of birth could be Froom. There is a place called Bishops Frome nearby and on page 3 of the 1871 census someone's place of birth is shown as Bishop's Froom.

Sorry if this is old news for you but I am just starting with my research and he is an ancestor of mine too.

Best wishes
Wagstaff Herefordshire
Phelps Herefordshire
Parker Monmouthshire