Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: Should we correct transcription errors ??  (Read 111822 times)

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
Re: Should we correct transcription errors ??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 May 06 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi stewartgenes,

Yes that does make sense, I will make a note for future generations.
I have rechecked the image I paid for , name, age occupation all correct. Just the place of birth on the wrong line. To double check I may see if I can trace the place of birth for the next person on the list. Perhaps that will sort it out !!!!!!!  ???

Mackiwi
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline Delphinum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 August 06 13:21 BST (UK) »
I found some of my husband's family on the 1901 census but, it appeared, that the brother of H's g.grandad had a different surname (Pappe).  It should have been Pyke.  Then the children (h's grandparents) were called Pappe and Poppe!
Being utterly bemused by this, I downloaded the actual scan of the census... lo and behold, they're all clearly Pyke but the transcriber hasn't read the writing correctly.  Should I notify the website in case anyone else is looking for the family online?   ???
Whites in Dunbar, Ayton & Galashiels, Scotland.  Taylors of Galashiels & Lincolnshire.  Solans and Morans in Ireland.  Mulvies in Clovenfords, Scotland.  Reynolds of Dunbar.  Dodds of Ayton.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 August 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Delphinium

This is a major problem with the way in which the 1901 census project was carried out. 

The original transcription was done by guests of Her Majesty, most of whom probably had no real interest in what they were doing.  This led to large numbers of people called "Ditto" appearing in the transcription!  It also meant that if the original handwriting was unclear, the transcriptions were often not accurate.

The transcriptions were then sent to India to be prepared for the internet, where place names and family names were totally unfamiliar.

Hopefully, because they are being done by family historians with an interest in the accuracy of the transcriptions, the FreeCen project should produce better results!

As other people have said, it is vital that we transcribe EXACTLY what was written on the original - there were enough chances for errors to creep in during the original information gathering and recording process without us making alterations 100 years later.  We must remember that a large proportion of the people giving the information could not read and write, so the enumerator had to write down what he heard.  If the person giving the information had an unfamiliar accent, or a speech defect of some kind, this could lead to all kinds of errors.  For example, how many people outside of Kent would know where "Astonlye" is?  Or "Uffam"?  Or "Walltum"?  (answers on a postcard, please!  ;D)

Of course, when we are writing up our own family history, we can "correct the mistakes" by reference to other records, such as birth certificates, baptisms, etc.  However, it is still worth noting, maybe as a footnote, what the original record shows.

Regards, Bill

Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:59 BST (UK) »
If you are using the "other" source for the 1901 census, then there is a facility for notifying any errors and suggesting the correct spelling.  Unfortunately by the time they get to your entry, double check it against the image etc. it may well be months before the amendment gets through, but eventually it will, so it's worth notifying them, especially as it does show that a change has been suggested and gives you a clue that others may well have been researching the same person.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Claremcg

• RootsChat Extra
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I see we are still wondering, after about a year, if we should change that which we know to be correct from that which we see on the census form.
TYPE WHAT YOU SEE!
Don't type what you 'know'.
If you start tinkering with the transcriptions how is anyone to trust what you have typed?
If you see my name alongside a transcription well, you can trust me to have typed what I saw on the page, but can the rest of us trust you if you have 'added' or 'changed it' to what you know?
I'm sorry if this sounds a bit strong, but you shouldn't still be wondering if you can change what's on the page.
Don't do it. Don't go there.
Put it in your own family tree notes that this was what you saw on the page but know to be incorrect. DON'T put it on the transcription.
Imagine, if you were allowed to do this on FreeBMD!  :D
Looking for your relatives is hard enough without these added distractions.
Sincerely
Malise
Coates - Swaledale, Dubuque, IOWA 1860's.
Hillary,Metcalfe,Peacock,Alderson,Guy,Siddle,Garthwaite,Swaledale, N R Yorkshire.
Wood,Brearley,Townend,Lawford,Roberts,Liley,Hirst,Clayton,Fawcett,Broadley,Thornton -Liversedge and Hartshead area W R Yorkshire.
Richardson - Durham c 1540-Airedale,Midgley,Currer,Ferrand,Busfeild,Cordingley,Pratt,Walker,
Jenkins,Williams,Clay,Greenish (Grinnis/Grinnish),Didwith,Haine,Perkin,Davies,Pembs & Dorset

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 August 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all who have replied,

My intention was not to change the official records, just the family ones. I will however make a note om the family tree about the change I have made and why. Also I will enter a copy of the certificate for future generations to see for themselves.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
Mackiwi :) :) :)
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 January 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I guess when you are transcribing your leftovers you are in the same position as those people that constructed the 1901 indexes.  As you are probably aware they got quite a few things wrong and some people have taken the trouble to submit corrections (including me).

ENTERING THE CORRECT SURNAME IS IMPERATIVE
I have one surname in particular that is wrong on every single census: HIORNS.
It can be entered as Hearns, Hyams or Harris.  In other words confused transcribers have entered a name that begins with H and ends in S.  It seems like guesswork and it probably is with strange looking names.

If you come across a strange or illegible name then try searching for it at:

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ or ancestry.co.uk if you are a member and see what they have entered.  Bear in mind they may have got it wrong as well!  If the person is over 20 years old then you might be able to find them on the 1881 census at:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

It seems like a lot of work but accuracy of the surname is the most important thing.

PLACE NAME PROBLEMS
If you have a problem with a place name then go to the familysearch site (link above) and near the bottom of the search they ask for the census country and then the census county and finally they have an option list of all the towns in the county.  Scroll down the dropdown list until you find your obscure town or village.

I agree that you should not alter legible information just because you have inside knowledge.  You even have to resist common sense alterations e.g.

On the IGI index there is the following baptism entry:

Alice Slater son of Charles and Jane Wakeham

A boy called Alice in the Victorian age?  His name was Ellis Slater Wakeham.
Alice and Ellis sound similar, hence the mistake.  But historically the mistake has to stand.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 January 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I disagree with most comment. What is written should stay. A transcription error is one thng, but the transcription must reflect what is written.Otherwise it is not a transcription

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 January 07 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Bob

I think that's what Downside was saying - you transcrbe what is on the census sheet, but you need to do your best to make it accurate. 

The test must be - does what you have transcribed match the original?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble