Author Topic: Fleurriet - Spitalfields/Bethnal Green  (Read 9447 times)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Fleurriet - Spitalfields/Bethnal Green
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  Those books aren't exhaustive though.  There are clock/watchmakers forums online which you could consult.  Also the Clockmakers' Company based at the Guildhall in London may have a record of him.  Worth a try.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Jumperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 23:55 GMT (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovet_Fleurier

There appears to be a place in Switzerland called Fleruier, associated with watchmaking and googling, many seem to bare the name Fleurier, the company "Bovet" were chartered in London in 1822 and produced very high end timepieces, but the place produced watches prior to that.
So 1807 and Fleurriet London ............... :P
Linsell - Weathersfield,Clavering,Bocking(Essex)London
Rothwell - Halifax,Rochdale,York
Tomlinson - Hull,Beverley
Eshelby - Halifax,Rathmell
Fleurriet - Spitalfields,Bethnal Green
Warman - Norfolk,Leeds
Rust - Swaffham (Norfolk)
Oliver - Spitalfields,Bethnal Green
Leslie - Bethnal Green

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jumperman

Have Fleuriot on my tree - father and son - both Peter (Pierre). Most definitely Huguenot and living in the Spitalfield area.

Peter Snr married Rebecca Hill in 1707 and Peter Jnr was born in 1712. I have a Will for Peter Senior - he died in 1713.

Have not come across any other connections to them so have made a note of your names.

Rebecca's extended family were mostly Weavers.

Good luck with your research :)

Offline Jumperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emmeline,

I've seen numerous spellings, so possibly related.
This line has always been very interesting, but also very frustrating.

Good luck too !
Warman - Norfolk,Leeds
Leslie - Bethnal Green

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jumperman

Always on the look-out for my Fleuriots - whichever way it is spelt  ::)  If I ever come across anything of interest I will let you know.   

I am always looking at Wills held  at the National Archives as if one is lucky enough to find one which belongs they are usually a wonderful source of information.

See you around the boards....... :)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 March 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve and Emmeline

I did some reasearch a little while ago into the Fleurets/Fleuriet/Fleuriots etc when I was researching the Alleaume family of Dieppe.

A Suzanne Fleuriet of Dieppe, daughter of Pierre Fleuriet and Marthe le Grand married a Salomon Aleaume son of Jacques Aleaume of Yenestenville, Normandy, and Madeleine le Yasseur in the French Church London on 10 October 1688.

She had joined the church a year earlier by 'reconnaissance' with two others:

"1 June 1687 Pierre Fleurier, of Dieppe, Suzanne Fleurier, spinster Jean Fleurier, young man."

A Pierre Fleuriet, also of Dieppe, maried Rachel Le Heupe 20 Aug 1699 at St Dunstan's Stepney. He was a silk weaver living in Pelham Street, Spitalfields, and was the grandfather of Tite/Titus Fleuriet, and great grandfather of Richard Fleuriet in Steve's original post.

Whether he was was Suzanne's brother and also then a child of Pierre Fleuriet and Marthe le Grand I do not know but it seems likely.

A Peter Fleuriot  presented a petition for denisation in June 18 1701 with an Oliver Le Nouricier, , Jacob Hue and Michael Hue, stating that they were forced to quit their native country on account of their religion, and had given good testimony of their loyalty.

In 1705 a Peter Fleuriot, presumably the above man was naturalised. His papers describe him as a  son of Peter Fleuriot, by Susanna his wife, born at Bolbec in France.

This above man I think would not be Steve's ancestor the Pierre/Peter from Dieppe, but  instead Emmeline's ancestor Pierre/Peter who married Rebecca Hill at 4 Jan 1707 St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, and had two children baptised at The Artillery Church, Spitalfields, (where he was an elder from 1708-10 and secretary 1710-13). The will you mentioned from 1713 refers to his sister Judith Mondon nee Fleuriot, and a Judith Fleuriot was married to a Daniel Mondon  26 January 1667 at the Lintot Temple which served the Bolbec protestants in Normandy, which seems to confirm this.

I realise this is now a very old query, and you may already have all this information but I thought I would add it anyway just in case.

There was also two other separate families by the same name, the first a Mathurin Fleuret, a wool carder from Maixent who was the first by the name to come to England joining the Threadneedle Street Church in winter 1680. He seems to have been an older gentleman and left no descendant lines as far as I can see.

Then later a Jean Fleuret and his wife Marie, who were originally from Clerac in South west France, joined the church in 1702. They had fled first to Holland and had been settled in Rotterdam before coming to London. The spelling of their surname seems much more fluid then the two Norman branches, Floret/Florry/Flauret/Fleuret/Fleuriet/Flouret, but unhelpfully they were also settled in Spitalfields as silk weavers in Quaker Street, so picking them apart in later records from the Norman family is not always that easy!

The two Norman families seem to have stopped using the French churches by the 1750's, which was fairly standard, though Richard Fleuriet did enroll his daughter Anne into the Westminster French Protestant Charity School as late as the 1790's. Her record shows she was baptised 18 Feb 1789 at St Mary's, Reading, Berkshire.

Richard himself, as you probably already know Steve, of course also later used the French Protestant community charities when he was an inmate of 'La Providence' the French Hospital from February 6th, 1836 until his death January 29th 1842.

Incidently I cannot find any evidence either any of them were ever involved in watch making, though a refugee family by the surname were settled in Switzerland using the French reform church there. Maybe they were linked to one of the London family and watch makers?

Regards

Richard

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found this reference in the Canterbury Wills:

Peter Floureau
. . . Profession: Watch Maker ... Will Date: 1779-03-13 ...
. . . Year: 1780 ... Place: St Giles In The Fields

Could it be 'Floureau' on the watch, rather than 'Fleurriet'? He had died before 1807 but maybe sons followed him into the trade?
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the will the name is spelt Fleureau on the original document. No mention of any sons, but a similar surname does appear in the Huguenot Society proceedings:

"Isaye Fleureau a watchmaker from Orleans is recorded as marrying in London Marie Magdalen Thibou of Paris in 1694"

The same gentleman is listed in 'Old clocks & their makers':

Fleureau, Esaye. London. Wetherfield collection a long- case clock by him, dating from about 1710. It embodies a fine specimen of arabesque marquetry, which is continued on the moulding supporting the hood, over the base

There is an example of his work here:

http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/336892

So perhaps a family of clock makers?

Offline Jumperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 March 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve and Emmeline

I did some reasearch a little while ago into the Fleurets/Fleuriet/Fleuriots etc when I was researching the Alleaume family of Dieppe.

A Suzanne Fleuriet of Dieppe, daughter of Pierre Fleuriet and Marthe le Grand married a Salomon Aleaume son of Jacques Aleaume of Yenestenville, Normandy, and Madeleine le Yasseur in the French Church London on 10 October 1688.

She had joined the church a year earlier by 'reconnaissance' with two others:

"1 June 1687 Pierre Fleurier, of Dieppe, Suzanne Fleurier, spinster Jean Fleurier, young man."

A Pierre Fleuriet, also of Dieppe, maried Rachel Le Heupe 20 Aug 1699 at St Dunstan's Stepney. He was a silk weaver living in Pelham Street, Spitalfields, and was the grandfather of Tite/Titus Fleuriet, and great grandfather of Richard Fleuriet in Steve's original post.

Whether he was was Suzanne's brother and also then a child of Pierre Fleuriet and Marthe le Grand I do not know but it seems likely.

A Peter Fleuriot  presented a petition for denisation in June 18 1701 with an Oliver Le Nouricier, , Jacob Hue and Michael Hue, stating that they were forced to quit their native country on account of their religion, and had given good testimony of their loyalty.

In 1705 a Peter Fleuriot, presumably the above man was naturalised. His papers describe him as a  son of Peter Fleuriot, by Susanna his wife, born at Bolbec in France.

This above man I think would not be Steve's ancestor the Pierre/Peter from Dieppe, but  instead Emmeline's ancestor Pierre/Peter who married Rebecca Hill at 4 Jan 1707 St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, and had two children baptised at The Artillery Church, Spitalfields, (where he was an elder from 1708-10 and secretary 1710-13). The will you mentioned from 1713 refers to his sister Judith Mondon nee Fleuriot, and a Judith Fleuriot was married to a Daniel Mondon  26 January 1667 at the Lintot Temple which served the Bolbec protestants in Normandy, which seems to confirm this.

I realise this is now a very old query, and you may already have all this information but I thought I would add it anyway just in case.

There was also two other separate families by the same name, the first a Mathurin Fleuret, a wool carder from Maixent who was the first by the name to come to England joining the Threadneedle Street Church in winter 1680. He seems to have been an older gentleman and left no descendant lines as far as I can see.

Then later a Jean Fleuret and his wife Marie, who were originally from Clerac in South west France, joined the church in 1702. They had fled first to Holland and had been settled in Rotterdam before coming to London. The spelling of their surname seems much more fluid then the two Norman branches, Floret/Florry/Flauret/Fleuret/Fleuriet/Flouret, but unhelpfully they were also settled in Spitalfields as silk weavers in Quaker Street, so picking them apart in later records from the Norman family is not always that easy!

The two Norman families seem to have stopped using the French churches by the 1750's, which was fairly standard, though Richard Fleuriet did enroll his daughter Anne into the Westminster French Protestant Charity School as late as the 1790's. Her record shows she was baptised 18 Feb 1789 at St Mary's, Reading, Berkshire.

Richard himself, as you probably already know Steve, of course also later used the French Protestant community charities when he was an inmate of 'La Providence' the French Hospital from February 6th, 1836 until his death January 29th 1842.

Incidently I cannot find any evidence either any of them were ever involved in watch making, though a refugee family by the surname were settled in Switzerland using the French reform church there. Maybe they were linked to one of the London family and watch makers?

Regards

Richard

Richard,

This is gold dust  :)

I hadn't been able to find the father of Titus Fleurriet, but to have the names of the grandparents gives me another start.

I have Fleurriet Wills and lots of extracts from the French hospital records and the Norman Society Annual Reports etc, but had never been able to link Titus with Pierre !

Thank you so much for this information.

Regards

Steve   

Warman - Norfolk,Leeds
Leslie - Bethnal Green