Author Topic: 1841 West Down Hugh Manning  (Read 7484 times)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 West Down Hugh Manning
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 July 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thats great so a close connection to.Yes have Fanny in that census and all others
Do you have Hughs baptism?
Two more posts and I can pm you my e mail
Will tell Jenny my ex ma in law of connection shel be thrilled
Welsh lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline Dave Manning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Welsh Lady
I gathered the information on Hugh from the Parish Records at Barnstable although I have not got his baptism records so it is possible that he was born elsewhere. However, I did establish that his parents John and Grace Manning were from Westdown.
The following is an extract from a short history I wrote on the Manning family. I hope it is of some use to you.
Hugh was born in 1774 and at the age of 21 he married Betty Menhinnett. The Menhinnett’s were another old West Down family of farmers who owned their own land and as such old Hugh must have done very well for himself. The parish records show that his profession was as a husbandman which means that he was a ‘tenant farmer’ who would have farmed the land but did not own it. This fact is borne out in Hugh’s Will (see page 42) where he bequeaths his house, pigsties, garden and all adjoining land to his daughter Ann but makes the point that the land  was leased from Joseph Menhinnett, Yeoman of West Down who presumably was also his father in law.

John and Betty had at least five children. There was Mary born in 1795 and Elizabeth much later in 1819 and since I’ve found no further records of either it can be assumed that they died quite young. In fact in 1799 Hugh’s wife Betty gave birth to another girl who they also called Mary, she was baptised in the Village Church on the 12th October that year. It can therefore be assumed that the first Mary had died by that time. Infant mortality was quite common at that time.
Hugh died in 1849 at the age of 75 and he made provision in his will for Betty, his wife, to live out her days in the house that he had left to his daughter Ann. He also made provision for a sum of seven shillings a year be paid to his other children Mary, William and John out of the profits of the farm.

Elizabeth or Betty as she was known, lived to a ripe old age and at the age of 78 she was recorded as still living with her daughter Ann and her husband Richard Coles in West Down She was shown as being a pauper and widow of an agricultural worker.  Ann it seems did well for herself by marrying Richard Coles who was also from old local farming stock.

It’s interesting to note that Hugh Manning was illiterate and signed his will by a mark in the shape of a cross whereas his daughter Mary had obviously had some schooling because she was able to sign her name.

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 13 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya Dave great info thanks
Another message and I can pm you my e mail
Welsh lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline hepburnn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 December 14 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Reaching out on behalf of a friend for whom I am doing research...

He is great, great, great, great grandson of Hugh MANNING, as follows:  Hugh MANNING > John MANNING (b. circa 1797) > James MANNING (b. circa 1839, West Down) > Alfred MANNING (b. 1864, Ilfracombe) > Alfred Charles MANNING (b. 1891, Devonport) > Alfred Charles MANNING (b. 1921 Burghead, Moray, Scotland) > R. MANNING. (living Michigan, USA)

The first Alfred was a seaman who died relatively early.  His widow, the former Sarah MARKWELL,  married a 2nd time.  The first Alfred Charles was a shipwright who worked in Scotland.  He married Annie MAIN, in Burghead, Elgin/Moray.  The following year Alfred Charles II was born.  He became an automotive draftsman & eventually moved to the United States.

Would love to share & learn more.

Offline hepburnn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 December 14 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Only received first of 3 you mentioned. Here's more to go on...

An Alfred MANNING married a Sarah MARKWELL in July-September 1890 in Stoke Damerel, Devon, England. (FreeBMD)

The 1891 England Census includes 26-year-old “seaman R N” Alfred MANNING & his 24-year-old wife Sarah.  (Ancestry.com)

An Alfred Charles MANNING was born July-September 1891 in Stoke Damerel, Devon, England (FreeBMD)

The 1901 England Census includes 33-year-old widow Sarah MANNING & 9-year-old son Alfred MANNING living together in Devonport, Devon. (Ancestry.com)

The 1911 England Census includes the Charles E. MILLETT household in Devonport, Devon includes wife Sarah and stepson, 20-year-old “boatbuilder” Alfred C. MANNING. (Ancestry.com)

Offline hepburnn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 December 14 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Twenty-year-old Alfred Charles MANNING (b. 1891, Devon) appeared in the 1911 Census as a "boat builder" working in a "shipyard" & living in Devonport.

A 27-year-old “shipwright” Alfred Charles MANNING married an Annie MAIN in Burghead on 21 December 1918.  On the marriage certificate Alfred’s parents are listed as Alfred MANNING, seaman (deceased) & Sarah MARKWELL.

At the time of his marriage Alfred's residence was listed as Invergordon. (Scotland's People).  According to the town website: "In the early 1900's Invergordon became an official naval base; the Firth was thought suitable because of the channel depth and frequently had visits from the Home Fleet. During the First World War (1914-1918) Invergordon was a full-scale base for the Royal Navy, providing fuel oil, water and dockyard repairs. The town's population mushroomed when 6,000 people came to work in the dockyards."

Alfred Charles & Annie's son Alfred Charles MANNING was born the 21 or 23 of March, 1921 in Burghead, Moray, Scotland. (Ancestry.com & Scotland’s People) 

He died in the United States, where his children live today.

Offline DevonianSearcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 March 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dave,

Hugh was my Great-Great-Great-Great- Great-Grandfather, and I'm researching the family tree. I'd be extremely grateful if you could share any information with me!

Many thanks,

Shawn (son of David, s of Alfred; s of Aaron; s George, s of Henry, s of John, s of Hugh)