Author Topic: Re: William Lightfoot and son James Henry Lightfoot and daughter.Mary  (Read 11263 times)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: William Lightfoot and son James Henry Lightfoot and daughter.Mary
« on: Thursday 18 August 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley

From your previous messages that seem to have disappeared into cyber space, for which I apologize again, you are looking to find out when your ancestor James Lightfoot emigrated to Canada and who where his family. We established that they originated from Bowden Cheshire and James was born 1841 and I will list again the 1851 census details.
               I also have found other census details that seem to show he may not have emigrated on his own, the 1871-1901 census shows an Elizabeth Ann Lightfoot born Nova Scotia c1864 living with her Aunt and cousins in Bowden, again on the 1871 census there is a Dorothy Lightfoot born Bowden c1857, she is living in Manchester with her uncle namely Anthony Shore. She later turns up back in Bowden with her sister Elizabeth born Canada.
              Who was the mother and father of these two ? you need to see their birth certs.
              Who brought Elizabeth back to England sometime between 1864 and 1871 ? you need to see ships lists and the Nova Scotia census records.
              When did James emigrate ? it would seem sometime between 51 and 61 my guess would be after his fathers death in 1852, he would still have been a very young man which is another reason to suspect he did not travel alone.
              There is a Hulme Lightfoot (he would be an uncle of James) and his family listed in the 1851 census, they are not found again in the UK census after 51, nor can I find any BMD for them, could they have emigrated and took James with them ?

Here are the various census years

1841 HO107-91-17-P8 Bowden

James Lightfoot 77 ag lab not born in county
John                  31 ~ born in county
Hulme               21 ~
Betty                29
Mary Gresty      7

There is a strong possiblity that the wife of James c1764 was a Dorothy Lightfoot who died in the same district aged 77 in 1838

1851 HO107-2162-F331  Vale of Bowden

William Lightfoot head wid 46 ag/lab Bowden
James                  son         9 scholar ~
Robert Nield  broth/in/law 41 unwed ag lab Bowden
James Walton visitor         10                        Ashley

on the next page

John Lightfoot head 41 ag lab Bowden
Betty              sister 51 bread seller Bowden
Mary Gresty  niece 17 servant          Dunham Massey
Thomas Partington visitor 30 joiner Scotland
Maria Green visitor 9 scholar Manchester

John Lightfoot died 1859 aged 50

1851 HO107-2162-F536  Altringham

Hulme Lightfoot head 30 brickmaker Bowden
Ann                    wife 34                    Salford
Samuel H           son 11 months        Altringham
Dorothy Lightfoot visitor 12 scholar Bowden
William Shore visitor 23 print block manuf Manchester

Hulme Lightfoot married Ann Shore in Manchester 1848

The Dorothy Lightfoot shown above is working as a servant in Manchester in 1861 aged 22 born Bowden, not sure where she fits in but obviously does.

1861 RG9-2590-F94  Church Lane Bowden

Elizabeth Lightfoot head unwed 44 tea house keeper and accomadation Bowden
Mary Gresty niece 27 Dunham
Alice Gresty servant 7 scholar Bowden
Mary Kelly lodger marr 30

MORE TO COME.........................................

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 05 14:50 BST (UK) »

1871 RG10-4062-F110  19 Bent Street Manchester

Anthony Shore head 40 Manchester Lancs
Ann                  wife 38 Macclesfield Cheshire
Frederick          son 15 Manchester
William                    11 Salford
Esther             daug 9 Manchester
Anthony            son 7 ~
Sarah              daug 4 ~
Dorothy Lightfoot niece 14 Bowden

1871 RG10-3684-F8  Church Brow Bowden

Betty Lightfoot head wid 60  Lodging house keeper Bowden
Mary Gresty     niece       35 charwomen Dunham
John Lightfoot nephew wid 50 ag lab Mere Cheshire
Betsey             niece 8 Nova Scotia North America

1881 RG11-3505-F27  Park Lane Bowden

Betty Lightfoot head wid 70 Bowden
Mary Gresty     niece        47 charwomen
Dorothy Lightfoot niece   24 ~
Elizabeth Ann       niece   18 dressmaker America

1891 RG12-2824-F90   Park Road Bowden

Dorothy Lightfoot head single 29 refreshment/accommodation Bowden
Elizabeth Ann       sister          25 dressmaker Canada

1901 RG13-3323-F128  Park Road Bowden

Dorothy Lightfoot head 39 coffee house keeper Bowden
Elizabeth A           sister 35 dressmaker Canada British Subject

Once you have more details from birth certificates please post again and there will obviously be more info that can be obtained.

Can I suggest that you post a request on our emigrants board for info re ships lists etc.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,166.0.html

regards

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WILLIAM LIGHTFOOT AND MARY ANN NIELD.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,
Wel I received James Lightfoot birth certificate. It states that Mary Ann Nield and William was the parents and that he definitely was born on 10 May 1841, Bowden, Cheshire,England.  was Registration District of Altrincham. .

I have also found out that James had a sister called Dorothy Lightfoot and was born 05 May 1939, in Bowden, Cheshire, England.  I still haven't found out on his suppose sister Ann or Anne.
I also found out that John Hume Lightfoot and wife Ann had a daughter name Elizabeth Ann Lightfoot born 02 Jul. 1862, and was christening 12 Dec 1862 at Saint John's Anglican  Church, Cornwallis Twp. , Kings Co. Nova Scotia, Canada.  Also they suppose to have had another child christening in 16 Nov. 1856 Bowden, Cheshire , England according to Lather Day Saints.  but I would love more info on William and Mary Ann Nield parent and ages etc. 
Also who Betty Lightfoot and Mary Gresty and James Lightfoot who is in the 1841 census are and their connections.
Also where  Anthony Shore and his family fits in. 
I also post a request on the emigrants board re info on ships list, but so far I haven't heard anything but I am very hopefull. 

I believe James sister married the gentlemen called Peter Shaw, he was in the 1881 british cenuse. and had 3 children.   .

I would be greatly appreative any help you can give me on this , as you have been a tremously great help so far.
Thanking you ever so much you are my Knight in shinning armour.
Shirley ;D :P

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley

Don't know if you already have this but in 1861 Dorothy Lightfoot is a servant in Manchester.Living at The Vine Inn,15 Albert Street.

Household is .............

Jane Henderson 25 b Belfast Ireland a Victualler
Dorothy Lightfoot 21 b Bowden Cheshire a domestic servant
Anna Wilcock       19  b  Eccles Lancs               "              "

Have you found James in 1861?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
HELLO CAROL

Yes,  I do have Dorothy in 1861 , However, James i Know left between 1852 after his father died and 1870.  He came to Canada and married a Canadian Girl in 1870.  I have his his from then on, but what I really need is to see when he came to Canada and with whom.  Also his father William Lightfoot, his parent and any other siblings.

I thank you very much for this info , but if you have anything on the other would be grately appreciated. 
Thanks  so very much
Shirley Wright
 ::) :-* :'(

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,
Since my last email I have found out some more info. Although I haven't been able to find when James came to Canada, I am still hopeful.  I also place one on their for John Hume Lightfoot who him and his wife Ann came to Canada.  I believe that is probably the way that James got here.

Now for the stuff I have found out.

James Lightfoot was definitely born on 10 May 1841 in Bowden, Cheshire, England. received birth certificate.

Mother was Mary Ann Neild and died at 26 Feb 1847 at the age of 39
Father was William Lightfoot  died on 07 Dec 1852 at the age of 47. they are both buried together at St Maryls Bowden Churchyard. alone with their other two children.
who are Mary Ann died 07 Feb 1845 at 9 mths.
Thomas died at 15 Nov 1846 at 4 mths.
also found another child for William and Mary Ann who was one of the Dorothy you had question.
Dorothy Lightfoot christening. 05 May 1839 at Bowden, Cheshire, England.
I also found that Dorothy had a daughter , not married at the time. name Mary Ann WHO was baptized at 08 Jan 1873, in Bowden, Cheshire, England.

As you stated Dorothy was in Manchester in 1861 and  I
haven't been able to find anything since.   Need help
I also bought William death certificate as I was hoping that it might have told me his parents , but never did.   I also
need help to find them.

Now I have found that there was a John Hume that came to Canada around 1862 and his daughter was born here at
02 Jul 1862,  Elizabeth Ann Lightfoot.  parents mark at John Hume Lightfoot, and mother Ann. She was born 02 Jul 1882 not far from where James lived  Cornwallis, twp, Kings Co. Nova Scotia, later on in life.  Now I believe this is the Hulme that is in your census of 1851 Atringham.

Also the older James who died in 1847 and Dorothy  were man and wife. they two are buried in same cemetery as William and his wife.

Also Betty who died in May 18 1882 at the age of 72 is also buried their.   

Now I have John Lightfoot being buried their to. I am presumed this would be John Hume  Lightfoot as he died 11 Mar. 1883 at 60 yrs.  This would co-inside with 1851  census.

But I still have to find out where John Lightfoot who was in the in the 1851 census  of HO107-2162-F331 Vale of Bowden who appeared to be head of the house hold at the age of 41, which would make him Born at 1810.  did he ever married. and who.

I would also like to know how William shore  fits into the picture.?

Also how Mary Gresty Niece fits into the picture and if Alice Gresty  is any relation.  Also Anthony Shore and family are they a relative aswell.

I was unable to get Birth Certificates for William or Mary Ann as  I was told they never kept a list at that time.

If there is anything else you can help with I would really appreciated it.  In anyway what so ever.

Thanks again for all your help in the past and in the near future.

All the Best.

Shirley

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Peter

I am sorry about the bold in the previously done message . My mistake I had forgot to take it off.

Sorry
\Thanks
Shirley

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
HI Shirley

It's a bit late here to get my head round all this  ;D

But you will see that Peter had already found your Dorothy born 1839 right up to and including the 1881 census where she was in Bowden with her Aunty Betty.

Not sure that the 1891 and 1901 Dorothy is the same girl, as she is being very economical with her age if it is.  ;)

Will look again tomorrow and see if we can find out any more.

Bye for now

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

There are two Dorothy Lightfoot one James' sister who was baptized 05 May 1839, Bowden,  Cheshire, England. and who has a daughter Mary Ann Lightfoot baptised 08 Jan 1873 borth at St Mary.s Church.  Now I know this Dorothy was in Manchester Census back in 1861 census.

Now there is also Dorothy Lightfoot who was the daughter of  Hume Lightfoot baptised 16 Nov. 1856 also in Bowden, Cheshire, England.   They are relatives.

Hume Lightfoot also had a daughter born here in Nova Scotia  05 Jul 1862, Cornwallis, Kings Co. Nova Scotia , Canada.  She also show back up in 1871 Census in England.

I hope this help to clarify it.
thanks
Shirley