Author Topic: NICOL family  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
NICOL family
« on: Thursday 27 October 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi:

Hope someone can advise me.  The Alexander NICOL family lived at 50 Helen Street, St. Vigeans, Fofar (Angus) in the 1881 census.  I have traced much of this family to Canada & U.S.,but missing some pieces as:

Death of Alexander NICOL (head in 1881).

Marriage of Brice/Bryce (f) NICOL - found one m. in 1875 in Montrose to a Fairweather, but with her shown on 1881 cenus as U doubt it is her.  Wouldn't they use W if she were a widow?

Brown NICOL (M)  - dead. married or emigrated? (not on 1881 census)

Betsy Ann NICOL - dead, married or emigrated?

I am sure Brice/Bryce emigrated to Chicago area in 1880's, but can't find her.

Advice required if Scotlands.people is the place to look for death of Alexander NICOL & trace Brown & Betsy?  Thanks all.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Re: NICOL family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Found the following in the 1891 census for 54 Helen Street, Arbroath :

Nicol - Alexander - Head - Married - 63 years - Flax Dresser - born Arbroath

Nicol - Ann - Wife - Married - 63 years - born Arbroath

Nicol - Bryce - Daughter - Unmarried - 33 years - Millworker - born Arbroath

Nicol - David - Grandson - 6 years - Scholar - born Arbroath

And in the 1901 census for 82 Lochland Street, Arbroath :

Nicol - Bryce B - Head - Single - Flax Spinner - born Arbroath

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ysabeau:

Truly appreciate your finding this information for me.  :) Wonder who the parent of the David Nicol is?  Just when I was sure had most of the family accounted for from Alexander forward, you find a grandson unheard of!  Wow.  Was planning to look for Alexander on Scotland's people so will try for David who would have been born around 1885.  This census data is a wonderful source for my family tree. :D  Some kind roots chatter sent me information on death of Bryce, Brown & Betsy.  What  a supper group.

Thank you immensely from Canada.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 06 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Another red herring for you my greatgrandfather was Nichol Rea/Rae born Forfar 1844 we know that the Nichol family are related to us but not how and we know their are relatives in Canada but nothing else a cousin of mine has a school photo sent from Canada no names though I thought I might put it on the internet in the future as someone might recognize it.

Cheers Heather

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 06 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather:

Interested in seeing the photo.  Are you saying the forename is Nichol and the surname Rae or?  ::) Can you give me a birthdate & place of birth?  Will look around in Canada a bit.  My Nicol does not have the same spelling - no idea if that means anything.  Lots of Nicol/Nichols in this area and in Canada.  I have most of mine traced here, now going back and feel David NICOL (father of Alex) would be born 1790's or so.  Just so many Davids. May try for a death registration, but no idea when he died.

Lauraine

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
My greatgrandfather's first name was Nicol sometimes spelt with 2Ls sometimes one he was given this first name because their was a family member by that surname who it was thought would leave him money. the surname is Rea but once the family left Scotland people seemed to spell it Rae because grandma couldn't read or write I guess it depended on the information that the people inputing into the documents had in their own minds the way it was written. Another cousin doing research in Canada said that her families grave in Perth had Nicol's buried in it but so far I have not been able to find anyone by that name but as I have not gone back in all branches it may just be hidden from present view. With this family they did not always name in the traditional way for instance Nicol's eldest son was called James after his best friend and his father Walter and nobody else has had this name so far but that could have been given him for inheritance purposes also.

I will write to the cousin about the photo and see if she can get a copy for me so I can scan it to you.

I just felt that sometimes another suggestion can lead you to where you need to go.

Cheers Heather

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching this branch of the NICOLLs family for 3 years and iI have a large database which  includes Alexander and his 6 brothers(at the last count).  Please contact me at * for further information.

Dave

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello - just wondering if you have a Christopher Niccol/Niccoll c1885 who married a Euphemia Alexander? I know he had a son Douglas.
kindest regards
Culley, Cully, McLeish, McIntosh, Robertson, McCord, Webster, Alexander, Brown, MacIntosh, Alexander, MacLeish, Calder, Mitchell, Brown, Gerrie, Gethins, McGlone, Cassidy, Collins, Gaffney, Cruickshank, Whittet, McKenna, Armstrong, Gality, Connelly, Law, Torbett, Pyott, Johnston, Johnstone, Burnett, Fraser, McDonald, MacDonald, Young, Duncan, Fleeming, McPherson, MacPherson

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 06 13:33 GMT (UK) »
at this moment I haven't come across one.  However, that doesn't mean to say there isn't.  Up until last week I hadn't come across an Alexander NICOLL.
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).