Author Topic: NICOL family  (Read 9681 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: NICOL family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
also SP

age a bit out but matches what you have -
andrew dunsire nicol born 1899 lanark

jessie beveridg(e) nicol(other surname kinnear) died 1988 lanark born c 1895
andrew dunsire nicol died 1977 lanark born c1900

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, ev ... just wondered whether he might have had any connection to the Nicol family of the original post :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline pantanifan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 May 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
Have you come across Ann Nicoll.

DAVID PETRIE/ANN NICOLL
 Married 31 May 1829

Son David b.12 Dec 1829 MONIFIETH.

Grand Parents of my Grandad's Mum Jessie Petrie (Bell).

I can't find anything on Ann.
Born abt 1800 in Perthshire ..??
Died before 1837.

As David re-married to Elizabeth Louson.
28 Nov 1838 Panbride Angus.
Also Married at Monifieth.
18/11/1838.

David Petrie b. 8 Sept 1801 Panbride Angus.
d. 25 Mar 1867 St Vigeans Angus.

Offline Margie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 June 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
We have the same names occurring over and over:  We do have an ann but she was born 27July 1826 in Errol, perth, Scotland and christened 5/8/1826.  I have not been able to follow the females only the males.  It has been difficult to follow people who dont have a second name.

Good luck with your searching.

Kind regards

Offline Lhconstantino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NICOL family of St Vigeans
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 December 19 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about George Nicol (abt 1816-1850), specifically names of parents and siblings.

George married Mary Kyd (1814-1904) in St Vigeans 12 Jul 1839 and came to the US about 1843 (and died before 1850).
Mary Kyd's brother Joseph Kyd married Isabella Nicol who may be a sibling or relative of George Nicol.

The is another George Nicol, who married Ann Doig - his descendants are also connected to the George Nicol I’m looking for. All involved, except perhaps Ann Doig, were born in St Vigeans. Happy to answer any questions - I have a lot more information about the families involved.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 December 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have the 1841 census, in which George Nicol, 25; Mary Nicol, 25 and George Nicol, 1 were living in Dishlandtown, Arbroath?

Adults' ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, and the census was taken on 7 June, so if George's age in 1841 is accurate he was born between 8 June 1811 and 7 June 1816. The census says he was born in Angus.

As he named his eldest son George, it may be that his father's name was also George. Have you seen the original of young George's baptism in 1840? Are the witnesses named?

Joseph Kydd, 30; Isabell Kydd, 25 and Joseph Kydd, 2, are in Keptie Street, Arbroath in 1841. So if Isabella's age is accurate she was also born between 8 June 1811 and 7 June 1816.

Have you seen the original of young Joseph's baptism in 1839? Are the witnesses named?

Did Joseph and Isabella also emigrate?

In 1851, Ann Nicoll, widow, aged 62, born Kirkden, is in Gowan Bank, St Vigeans, with son-in-law Charles Gibson and daughter Ann Gibson. She is not in the 1861 census, and there is no record of a death of Ann Doig or Nicol, so she must have died before 1855.

I looked in the book of monumental inscriptions but I found no Nicoll ones that shed any light on any of these people.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lhconstantino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 December 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for responding!

1. Yes, I have the 1841 census of George, Mary (Kyd, daughter of George Kyd and Ann Gibson), and George. That is the George Nicol I am trying to identify. All three went to the US about 1843. George Sr died shortly after arriving in US. He and Mary Kyd are my 3rd great-grandparents.

2. I have the handwritten baptismal records from the Scottish Archives for George Nicol's son George and for Joseph Kyd's son Joseph. No witnesses are named in either. Are there other records that might show witnesses?

3. Joseph Kyd, Isabella, and son emigrated and went to the same place in the US that George, Mary, and George went. Young Joseph died either en route or shortly after arrival.

4. In the 1841 census, Joseph, Isabella, and Joseph were living with Ann (Gibson) Kyd (the mother of Joseph and of Mary Kyd, George Nicol's wife - their father was George Kyd) on Keptie Street. George Duncan, age 12, was also living in the household. Young George was the son of George Duncan and Ann Kyd. I can’t find a baptismal record for Ann Kyd, so can't say how she is related to Ann Gibson Kyd and her children.

5. After emigrating, young George Duncan married Ann Nicol, the daughter of the other George Nicol I mentioned and his wife Ann Doig. I have marriage records for this George Nicol and Ann Doig, plus baptismal records for all their children and see no apparent connection between them, “my” George Nicol, or Isabella Nicol.

6. Ann Doig Nicoll and her children, including daughter Ann (who married George Duncan in the US), emigrated in 1853 (which is why she is not mentioned in the death records). They went to the same place in the US as the others I've mentioned. Note the correct Ann Doig Nicol is listed in the 1851 census in St Vigeans, Inverbrothock Parish on West Mill ? as Ann Nicoll, age 62, born Forfarshire, Arbroath, with children Betsy, William, Alexander, and Ann.

7. Young George Duncan and Ann Nicol had a son named Joseph Kyd Duncan, born in the US. After his mother Ann died in abt 1859, Joseph lived with Joseph Kyd and Isabella Nicol (by that time, their only son Joseph, discussed above, had also died). When Isabella Nicol Kyd died (after her husband), Joseph Kyd Duncan was her sole heir. She referred to him in her will as “my beloved nephew.”

8. Thank you for looking in the book of monumental inscriptions. That’s something I’ve been wondering about.

9. I didn’t know that ages in the census were rounded - that is very helpful information.

I hope this response isn’t too confusing! The similar names can make clarity a challenge.

Thank you again for responding.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 December 19 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Are there other records that might show witnesses?
No, unfortunately.

I hope this response isn’t too confusing! The similar names can make clarity a challenge.
They can indeed. This one looks like quite a hard nut to crack, because they all emigrated before even the 1851 census.

I am clean out of ideas but if anything occurs to me I'll let you know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lhconstantino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 December 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!