Author Topic: NICOL family  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Margie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NICOL family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandfather's first name was Nicol sometimes spelt with 2Ls sometimes one he was given this first name because their was a family member by that surname who it was thought would leave him money. the surname is Rea but once the family left Scotland people seemed to spell it Rae because grandma couldn't read or write I guess it depended on the information that the people inputing into the documents had in their own minds the way it was written. Another cousin doing research in Canada said that her families grave in Perth had Nicol's buried in it but so far I have not been able to find anyone by that name but as I have not gone back in all branches it may just be hidden from present view. With this family they did not always name in the traditional way for instance Nicol's eldest son was called James after his best friend and his father Walter and nobody else has had this name so far but that could have been given him for inheritance purposes also.

I will write to the cousin about the photo and see if she can get a copy for me so I can scan it to you.

I just felt that sometimes another suggestion can lead you to where you need to go.

Cheers Heather

I am interested in the Nicol's burried at Perth Scotland - what is the name of the website to search for those burried there?

;D Maggie

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Margie:

Nicol/Nicoll/Nichol were used as forenames in Shetland and it probably stems from patrynomics. - perhaps Nicholson, etc.    I have a 4x G. Grandfather Nicol SMITH b. in Shetland that is no relation to my Nicol/Nichol family in Angus.  Most of the questions I posted earlier on Alexander Nicol have  been solved thanks to research and assistance from Wildgoose and others.  The unknown grandchild actually migrated to Canada with his mother and contact made with his descendants.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
Wildgoose, on your Nicoll research, do you have any from Errol, Perthshire (early to mid 1800's), some of whom later lived in Dundee?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
My NICOLLs are all from Arbroath.  However because some were merchant seaman their children were born in London.
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline Margie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
From what I can gather ours were all from Errol, Perth, Scotland until 1853 where they were born in Liverpool and living in Toxteth Park and were publicans in the early days and then teachers from early 1800s from what I could find out on the censuses and through family search.org.

Where is Arbroath?

:D

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
You are kidding me...I've you never heard of Google maps :P
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Margie1...could you give some names/dates of your Errol Nicolls?

Arbroath is near Dundee.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have an Andrew Dunsire Nicoll in my tree, born about 1893, not sure where.  He married my great aunt Jessie Beveridge Kinnear (known as "Net"), born in Leven, Fife in 1895.  They were married around 1920-24, and had a daughter - there's a remote possibility the daughter is still alive, so I won't mention her name.

Would you have Andrew Dunsire Nicoll in your tree?
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
hi Deb D  :)

found on SP
andrew dunsire NICOL marriage to jessie beveridg(e) kinnear 1925 scoonie fife

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records