Author Topic: Stark Family Fife  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Lisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Life Long Passion
    • View Profile
Stark Family Fife
« on: Thursday 27 October 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a connection to the stark family of fife. My connection is with Michael Stark, father of famous painter James Stark (original Norwich School of Painters). Michael came from Fife supposedly. Lived and died in Norwich, buried at non conformists grave yard norwich, owned a dye factor on Wensum River, created "norwich red" colour still in use today. James' paintings fetch 30,000gbp, despite all this info, cant find any definite confirmation of Michael Stark's Fife roots, born c1749 died 1831, married Jane Ivory of norwich, neice of thomas ivory architect of many buildings in norwich city centre, again despite this, michael's fife roots remain elusive. Any connections, leads, suggestions, help grateful for. Michael and Jane's grandson Charles barlow became a convict and sent to Australia.
Norfolk England: Barlow (convict to Australia), Star Winter, Herres, Houghton, Ivory, Gorbiel
Fife Scotland: Stark, Hereford: Stanton (Convict), Shrewsbury: Simmons/ens?? (Convict)
London: Lipman (London Jew - Assisted Immigrant to Australia),
Lancashire (I think)(Immigrated to Australia): Timmens, Starr
Ireland: Twohig (Immigrated to Australia)
Norway: Klausen Jørgensen, and so on and so forth,(not sure if its relevant here)
New Caledonia: Bousseaux (if anyone knows how to find this one)..

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stark Family Fife
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 05 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, have you ever used this tool:

www.surnamenavigator.org

This could help you with that impressive list of names from different countries and you could try the mega search engine on your "James Stark" and "Norwich School of Painters" maybe some more information might appear.
Good luck
Mel
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 05 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, I used a couple of my units for you and found 2 Michael Starks as follows :-
DOB 21/12/1746 father Michael parish Abdie
DOB 01/09/1749 father Michael parish Abdie

Are either of these yours?

Gill
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hammond - Cheshire/Lancashire
Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland
Jenkins - Newent,Gloucestershire
Wakeley/Morris/Stubbs - Shropshire

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
My Stark roots go back to James Stark, b abt 1770 at Kinghorn, Fife and his wife Ann Moyes.

Other fife names in my ancestry are Minorgan, Tod, Scott and Kellock. Most are from the Kinghorn area, but the Kellocks originate in Dunfermline

There does not appear to be any link to your Michael, but I'm pretty certain that my records of James descendants and family are incomplete.

It is only after my GGGF moved to Tyneside in the 1850's that   I have accurate data.
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 06 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I know Starks in Fife... I went to school with a Stark, and his uncle (probably great-uncle, actually) was the guy who built Stark's Park in Kirkcaldy, home of Raith Rovers football team.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline runlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:06 BST (UK) »

Other fife names in my ancestry are Minorgan, Tod, Scott and Kellock. Most are from the Kinghorn area, but the Kellocks originate in Dunfermline

I have just stumbled across this web-site and am researching the name Kellock, in particular Adam Kellock possibly born c1794 in Dunfermline. 
Rundle, Kellock, Lees, Salt, Fisher, Peat

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
I dont have anything on your particular Adam Kellock, but my Kellock line goes back to Thomas Kellock b abt 1672 in Dunfermline.

I have only details of one line of descent from Thomas via his son William, however I guess there must have been other siblings, and your line possibly descends from them.

The family then moves -generally in fife- to Kettle, Beath, Kinghorn, Burtisland.

My GGM was a Kellock.  I have tapped in to a fairly extensive Kellock tree with around 100 entries - up to more less the present day.

I'd be interested in sharing information on the kellock line.

Regards

Alan Stark (another good Fife name)
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline Leigh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Lisa

Have you tried www.johnstark.demon.co.uk & www.wentnet.com (under Elizabeth Rodger)

I came across these when I got sidelined on Stark in my own family.

Regards
Leigh
Crumbie (Crumby/Crombie/Cromie) - Wilts, London, Northumberland, Fife
Stark & Cammann - Middxnt
Davenport, Bromley - Wilts, Glous
Traynor - Ireland, Hull, Kent
Taylor - Kent
Blaskiewicz / Blaszkiewicz - Radom, Poland
Drews - Gdansk (Danzig), Poland

Offline runlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 11:08 GMT (UK) »

I'd be interested in sharing information on the kellock line.

Regards

Alan Stark (another good Fife name)

Hi Alan,

Sorry not to respond sooner, I've been out of circulation for a while. Anyway, my Kellock:

Adam Kellock was born around 1793 in Dunfermline, Fife. (Info taken from his Royal Artillery Service Papers).  He attested for the Royal Artillery at Glasgow in October 1813 aged twenty.  He was discharged from the army (8th Batallion RA) in 1835, but then became Barrack sergeant on Corfu where he died in 1847. His grave is in the British cemetry, Corfu.

His wife was called Ann.  Died 11 Feb 1839 on Corfu aged about 36 (GRO Ionian Island records and mentioned on the same headstone as Adam)

They had five children:

Amelia Jane, b.1827, (GRO Regimental Records) Baptised 1828, at St Thomas Church, Portsmouth (IGI Record); Married on Corfu (GRO Ionian Records)

Ellen, b1829, Portsmouth (GRO Regimental Records); Married on Corfu (GRO Ionian Records)

Margaret Mary, b. 1831 in Port Louis, Mauritius, (GRO Regimental Records)

Catherine, b. 1836 Baptised at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich (IGI Record), Married Walter Scott Lees. (Family say she married in 1857 in Jamaica, but I am struggling to find evidence anywhere of the marriage).  Walter Scott Lees and Catherine later lived in Co. Durham after he was discharged from the RA in 1872. (Again, I have discharge papers plus family correspondence).  Walter Scott was from a family of Quakers in Derbyshire.

Agnes, Born on Corfu but died 1839 aged 6 months.  She is mentioned on the same headstone as Adam kellock. 

I have a transcrict of the text on the Headstone, the will of Adam Kellock and a copy of his discharge papers.

I am currently ploughing my way through M.E.S. Laws to get more details of where his Army postings may have been and when.  Next stop will be the Muster records at Kew.  I am also trying to trace a record of his marriage, which I think may have taken place at St. Mary Magdalene, Woolwich as I think he was posted there at around the time he may have got married. (1825ish)

Despite trawaing Scotland's People and numerous other such databases/Websites, I have been unable to find any record of the birth of Adam Kellock, thus any pointers would be gratefully received.

Regards

Yvonne
Rundle, Kellock, Lees, Salt, Fisher, Peat