Author Topic: Archbishop Richard Downey  (Read 7361 times)

Offline kym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Downey , McConkey , Jebbett , Goodman
    • View Profile
Archbishop Richard Downey
« on: Friday 28 October 05 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for any information , he was born 1881 in Kilkenny and was appointed archbishop of Liverpool in 1928 .
My grandfather was John Downey born 1882 in Kilkenny and always referred to the archbishop as his cousin , so I would like to trace family link .

Hope someone can help please

Kym
Downey family from Kilkenny Ireland , McConkey from Belfast,  Jebbett Goodman Savory Mallabone Croshaw Lenton Wheway  Hasting White Brown Jebson  Warwickshire Staffordshire areas .

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archbishop Richard Downey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 05 07:42 BST (UK) »
Kym:

You may already have this.

5 May 1881  Born Kilkenny
25 May 1907 26.1 Ordained Priest Priest
3 Aug 1928 47.2 Appointed Archbishop of Liverpool, England, Great Britain
21 Sep 1928 47.4 Ordained Bishop Archbishop of Liverpool, England, Great Britain
16 Jun 1953 72.1 Died

The Metroplitan Cathedral site has this item:
"Doctor Richard Downey made a tremendous impact on his appointment as Archbishop in 1928 at the age of 47. His native wit, remarkable eloquence and keen mind soon won for him friends in all sections of the community. Catholics rallied to his leadership with unparalleled enthusiasm. Proof of this was seen within a year of his consecration when 400,000 Catholics assembled at Thingwall Park to celebrate the centenary of Catholic emancipation. It convinced the Archbishop that the time was ripe to build. "
http://www.liverpoolmetrocathedral.org.uk/history/history.htm

Pat

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Kym,

Is the Downey family in the Downey & Ring family of Conahy thread related to the Archbishop?

Christopher

Offline kym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
I am trying to find connection , only know my granddad used to say that archibishop was a relation , but as yet have not found where the archibishop connects into line .
the Downey line mentioned in Downey and Ring of Conahy is my line .

Thanks kym
Downey family from Kilkenny Ireland , McConkey from Belfast,  Jebbett Goodman Savory Mallabone Croshaw Lenton Wheway  Hasting White Brown Jebson  Warwickshire Staffordshire areas .

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Can't help with your search but I know my mums generation of Catholics in Liverpool admired this man. I know one old lady who is proud to tell me that a relative of hers lives in the Archbishops old house!
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kym,

Sorry for stating the obvious but it looks as though you'll need at least some children of a few male siblings of your great grand dad as the Archbishop was born about the same time as your grand dad. Registers for schools in Co. Kilkenny from the mid 1880s onwards should produce a few Downey children which might help.
I've just had a look at the National Archives of Ireland "Guide to sources on National Education" Have a look at item 12. "National School registers and roll books" which says the  National Archives have some registers and roll books. The registers contain the pupils' home addresses, parents' occupations, and an account of their academic progress and attendance record. I'm not certain where records which are not in the possession of the National Archives may be kept though.

There's a message from Ray Stockton on rootsweb.com County Kilkenny Genealogy Query Archive One about a Richard Downey who was born between 1817 to 1821. However he appears in the Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Staffordshire Census of 1851. 

Christopher

Offline kym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Thankyou for information re school records , will check that out
Still trying to find link to Archbishop Richard Downey
Thanks Kym  :)