Author Topic: CHORLEY families, wiveliscombe somerset  (Read 17271 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHORLEY families, wiveliscombe somerset
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 August 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Francis Chorley b1843 is the one I am interested in. As you say the 1881 death in Birmingham is believed to be his father, but Francis jnr. disappears around the same time.
Tofgem

Offline Jane Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 August 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Tofgem

I have to go to work now so I will have to be quick.

My Chorley family moved from Wiveliscombe, Milverton, Bridgewater to Birmingham because of the railways.  There was little work in Somerset so the railways offered them a chance of a job.

Going back to your family have you tried the shipping records he may have gone abroad.  Australia were crying out for ag labs to move over there.  He could have gone out first to find somewhere to live.  Just a thought. 

I will have a closer look at FreeBmd and see If I can see any deaths that could be him when I get back in.  If I find anything I will let you know.

Good luck

Jane

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 August 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Thanks for the offer, but I have searched FreeBMD until I am blue in the face, but with no luck. There is no record of his death in the Gloucestershire BMD either. I can trace his wife through to her death together with his children and she does give her status as widow on the burial record of one of her sons in 1881. His wife describes herself as head of the household, but married in the 1881 census, but by the 1891 census she is still head of the household, but a widow.
It is possible that he ran away to one of the colonies. I am sure that at some time in the past I looked at shipping records. I will look again.
I have a feeling that he just disappeared/ran away, or his death is staring me in the face and I cannot see it.

Tofgem

Offline morgs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
               William Collins (Chorley) was my great grandfather
he arrived in Geelong in 1857 .He was married to Sarah James
His second marriage was to Elizabeth Pritchett in1879.
He had 16 children from the two marriages.
                                                                morgs

Offline Jane Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Morgs

I think the family you are looking for is a different family from the one being discussed here.

I have looked into your family for someone before but I do not think we got too far back.  I will have to see if I still have the notes and then i will let you know what I found. 

If I remember right somewhere along the line the mother was a single mother so we couldnt go back any further.

I get back to you as soon as I find my notes.

Jane

Offline morgs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 August 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
                    Thank you for getting back to me ,I am really confused,My William Collins (my great grandfather) was born in
wiveliscombe in1830-31.He arrived in Geelong (Aust) on 15 April
1857 ,his married Sarah James in 1859 his eldest son was Frederick there were10 children altogether with only 4surviving,he then remarried & had 6 more children.
Is this a different family to your William Collins(Chorley)

Offline Craig Chorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
I've just been trying to collate mine and the info here into a family tree, so I can picture what is going on. It is really interesting to see how we are connected, especially to William Paramore and some to their son Francis. Recently we went to have a look around Wilveliscombe and the Chorley Farm. There wasn't much sign of Chorley's in the church yard, though a couple of mentions inside the church. I think our next trip will be to Exton, and maybe to Triscombe to see the farm that Francis must have owned. If we find anything, we'll post up pictures.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Offline newkid90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 September 10 04:31 BST (UK) »
Craig
This is newkid90.  This is really bizarre, but my nephews name is also Craig Chorley - i thought it was him sending me a message. 
William Paramore Chorley was the paternal Great Grandfather of my wife.  Have plenty more info  email me at

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such information. Thanks

Offline newkid90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,
I too have the same dilema.

I am related to you in this manner  :)
 Francis Chorley was the Brother of Harriet/Herriot, Can you please advise which one married Thomas Lovebond from Nympton, Devon Marriage date is 14/6/1827?

My Dad, Arthur Montague Chorley b 1923,

his Dad Arthur montague Chorley b1893,

his Dad Arthur Montague Chorley b1870,

his Dad William paramore Chorley 15th April 1841 Exton Somereset,

his Dad Francis Chorley 12/7/1803 (Yeoman) Exton Somerset.

His Dad William/ mother Joan Collard??? or william/joan langdon??? Another Family member has the Collard connection,  have you moved further forward?

My Great Grandad and his wife Sussanah may Mort moved to Derby in the Midlands and thats how we got to Derby.

Please get in touch to discuss the above.
Best Wishes
carl chorley