Author Topic: Sweetland Roots  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Peg2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetland Roots
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 21:40 BST (UK) »
I'm really pleased with the info I'm receiving here-geneaology is seriously addictive. Looks like I've found an Aussie "relative".

Offline JOL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 04 08:51 BST (UK) »
Peg2. 

I have a family chart that was drawn up in the early 1800s as the last entry in the original handwriting is about 1821.  It starts with Hugh (1672 ~ 1742) from Uffculme in Devon.  His grandson Henry (1734 ~ 1791) is listed as a Merchant of Newfoundland and is buried in Ferryland.
He had 3 sons of whom Benjamin (1789~1883) is of interest to me. He was a Stipendary Magistrate (a few Sweetlands entered this profession - possibly better paying than being a merchant!!!) in Trinity and died in New York age 94.  He had 8 children one of whom Charles sailed to Sydney Australia in the British man-o-war Dido in the 1850s.  Charles is my great grandfather.  I and my brothers and sisters live in Victoria - Australia.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 September 04 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Chris and Welsh Jen. By the way, Jen, there are a lot of Colberts here too.

Dear Peg2

The Goons were not present at the open day. I will keep my eyes peeled for you though  :o

I would be interested in where you know those Colbert's to be. Trying to locate as many as possible  :P
Thanks !

Offline pa-sweetland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 September 04 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I am a Sweetland living in Bristol, UK.  My late father had done a lot of research in tracing the Sweetland name.

Our line goes back two genrations to South Wales,UK and from there back to deepest darkest Devon where I beleive it has been traced back to the early 1700's.

Let me know if there are any names in particular you are needing !

In the research I have Sweetlands details from USA, Canada, UK and Auz !

A few that spring to mind are, Samual, William, John, Elisa & Fanny, all dating around late 1700's - early 1800's

Rgds

Paul Sweetland

Offline Welsh Dragon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:33 BST (UK) »
I have information on Welsh Sweetlands and can trace ancestry back via Chard, Honiton and surrounding districts to approx. 1658. Most of the Sweetland men appear to have been carpenters and the women lace makers.  Some of the families have 10 or more children so there must be a lot of Sweetlands out there! The ones that I know are mainly in Cardiff.

Offline Peg2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 December 04 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I hope this message reaches all those who replied to my postings. I was in the middle of replying to them individually and I lost the thread and can't get the replies back. I did manage to get an e-mail off to "JOL"  and was writing one to Welsh Jen re "Colbert". Please tell me how to access them! Thank you to the person who is checking out Goons for me. Another member has given me a lot of leads in England. I will summarize what I have discovered so far. The earliest mention of the Sweetland name in Newfoundland dates to the late 1700s. There was a William and Catherine Sweetland in English Harbour (Trinity Parish) in 1788. There was a Henry and Ann Sweetlands in Calvert (Ferryland) in 1790. Henry was a merchant and JP. Henry and Ann had three sons, Henry, William, and Benjamin, who were all baptized at the Anglican Cathedral of St. John the baptist in St. John's. (I searched the parish records and retrieved this.) Details of the family can also be read at:<http://home.thezone.net/~calvert/names/sweetland.htm>.  The Benjamin that JOL refers to is this Benjamin who was a magistrate and his ancestor. The other brother, William, eventually left Calvert and became a magistrate in Bonavista. Bonavista is 30 miles from Trinity. Bonavista is where my mother's Sweetlands are from. The earliest Sweetlands in Bonavista were a Joseph and Mary who first appear in 1804. There is no record of their marriage, but all their children are registered. One of their children was named William. My grandfather's grandfather was "William Sweetland". So far, I have been unable to ascertain if he was "William " of Joseph and Mary, or "William" from Ferryland, who married for the second time after arriving in Bonavista. Both William Sweetlands had sons named "John", the name of my grandfather's father. I am piecing this together as much as I can. The Bonavista records give no clues, so I think I may have to go to graveyards. As to where they originated, I suspect it was Devon and they may have all been related and came here already married (Henry of Ferryland was married in England.) So that's a search for another time. I apologize for not repliying earlier. but I've been traveling. The records are chock full of sweetland births in Bonavista, so much that you would expect the place to be overrun-but not so, only 14 in the directory, and 3 are women.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 January 05 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peg I have the 1851 census up & running now if you need any info on the family who were left behind.

Regards
Shirley Sweetland
Perth WA

I'm proudly using the calendar you sent me. Ta!
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey