Author Topic: Corderoy and Smith  (Read 4953 times)

Offline rawsonst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corderoy and Smith
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you are still working on this search as the last entry was in 2007. 
If I'm on the right track, I"m looking for a Joseph and Sarah Smith who I believe had twin sons William and Thomas.  William ended up in Canada but any further info may not be known to his family back in England. 
Not sure if the Sarah you are looking for is the same as the one I am but thought I'd ask.  Does this ring a bell at all? 
I believe William and Thomas were baptised in Bethnal green in 1884 which I have documents of...just not 100% sure I have the right Smith's...but still trying...

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 September 10 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am always looking for info; on the Smith's it's like looking for the Jones's,
  but re; your Smith, I am really not sure,  do you know what their Father did for a living,   
 I have Joseph Smith born 1852 as a bootmaker  in Islington, London, but  he was born in Leicestershire,  Loughborough,
     his wife was Sarah Corderoy, their  daughter (my Grandmother) Alice Smith was born 1882 in Bethnal Green,  you really need their birth certs to trace them back,
  good luck with  finding them
                                                     Jenny
suggett    London
jones        Glamorgan,   Wales
Smith        London
Thompson   Cambridge and London
Alder           Gloucester
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester
Holder          Gloucester

Offline rawsonst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 September 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
It is a tough job digging through all the Smith's.  Fun though.

Not sure what the Jospeh Smith (my great grandfather) did for a living at this point in time.  William and Thomas were baptized in Bethnal Green and I have seen documents for that, but no birth certificates as of yet. 
I know that William was my grandfather and that he came to Canada leaving children behind in England, perhps a wife, but not sure.  I just need to find the right William first.  William was my dad's father and he tells me that Joseph and Sarah were his grandparents.  He also says that William had a twin brother.  I've come across a William and Thomas born in 1884 to Joseph and Sarah Smith but not even 100% sure if it is them.....one day, I'll figure it out.....
Thanks for replying...if you ever hear anything similar to this, I'm always here....
I'm also on ancestry.ca 

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 September 10 01:48 BST (UK) »

I am always here as well, if you  find  anything,  did you get in touch with Andy on this post,  some of these Smith's maybe his & their is  a Rose in the 1891 & 1901 census aged 9 & 19,  that was born in Canada, though the other family members were born in Bethnal Green, worth looking at,
  Good luck with your research
                                                  Jenny
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Alison McGrenaghan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny.
I don't know if I can help you or not, but I think the Sarah Smith (nee Corderoy) that you refer to might be my great-great aunt. My Great grandmother way Alice Berthelemy (nee Corderoy 1872 - 1946) and she has a sister Sarah, who was born in 1859 at 63 Old Nichol Street and died in 1887 (aged 28 years) Her married name was Smith. I don't know a great deal about Sarah, but I have been exploring a bit of family history and might have pieces of the jigsaw that you do not, Also my Mum is still alive and will be 90 years old in September. As mentioned above, her grandmother was Sarah's younger sister and Mum is very clear minded and can remember her grandmother well - she might remember something?!
Please let me know if you think I can be of assistance.
Alison

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 January 19 03:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi Alison,      sorry it has taken awhile to get back to you, it is holiday time over here in NZ and have been away,
thank you for getting in touch,  my gr. grandmother is Sarah Corderoy born: 15 Feb 1859, who married Joseph Smith, I know little about them,  Sarah parents are  George Corderoy born: 1840-1911  and Sarah (nee) Reynolds born: 1841- 1887
my grandmother was Alice Smith who married William Suggett
Sarah  born 1859  was born at 63 Old Nichol St, Bethnal Green

if you want to get in touch my e-mail is
  jennybp@xtra.co.nz
                                    Many Thanks        Jenny
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I have no personal connection at all, but am fascinated by the name "Corderoy" as I assume it must have something to do with the fabric.

You might want to look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduroy

Apparently the fabric is known as "Manchester" in some parts of Europe, which may turn out to be a clue at some stage?

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
It may not be to do with the fabric. I have the name Corderey or Cordrey in my tree , going back to the early 1700s. According  to surnamedb.com Cordery , Corderoy and other variations come from the Old French , cuer de roi , meaning king's heart :
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Corderoy
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 January 19 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that is very interesting,  I don,t know much about the Corderoy side of the family at the moment  only that they lived in London,    I don,t think I would have associated the material with them though,  but everything is worth looking into when doing research
                      Clare
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester